DarksideR

July pic and video thread 2016

stoked    1,039

It's a secret.

No, it's just 3/4"PVC pipe and some fittings. Fits right in the surf side board rack.

Yeah man, super pumped that he is into it. Loaded up the ballast and asked him if he waged to go first. "YEAH!" was his instant response. LOL. Couldn't be happier with his excitement for it.

I honestly thought I was gonna ride out a couple of them yesterday! Gonna have them figured out soon!

How far out does this go? I just took a look at my boat and it looks like 6ft is the answer, is that what you did? How's the locking it in the rack? Do you have to have another board in there for the bungee to hold right? I'm going to make one of these this week.

DarksideR    1,679

How far out does this go? I just took a look at my boat and it looks like 6ft is the answer, is that what you did? How's the locking it in the rack? Do you have to have another board in there for the bungee to hold right? I'm going to make one of these this week.

It was a 10' pipe. But had to cut some pieces off to make the part that fits in the rack. So the extension is what was left over, which is about 7'. The goal was ultimately to make it look like a follow boat was filming. A 10' extension might be able to do that, but the pipe flexes as is and would likely dip into the water a lot more if it was 10'.

I just wrap the bungee around it once and then to the hook. The 3/4 pipe fits fairly snug in the lower slot.post-848-0-11274400-1468187150_thumb.jpeg

Looking good vdubr.

stoked    1,039

Thanks! I was going to put an eye hook on the end and tie a rope from the end to the tower to hold in place and hold it up.

DarksideR    1,679

I had thought about doing the same thing!

DarksideR    1,679

Tried the video/pic function on the GoPro yesterday. Difficult to get a good pic as it's totally random. Well, the highest frequency of shots is one pic every 5 seconds. So out of hundreds of pictures I was pretty happy with these three pics.

89b2d3d8840caae497f40e3e9c764b80.jpge0d4ed5d9a8de826a0b04575527e54a7.jpg917171b80aaa3ea9ff4fb72dd5fff941.jpg they're definitely cleaner images than the video screen grabs I've been getting. Like this

13fed9acf212633568c6528d4cce7d6b.jpg

But it limits your video frame rate. I like to film 1080p/60fps. Yes. I'm still wearing a shorty wetsuit in July...lame. Temps have been so mild. Water temp is hanging around in the high 60's. I'm sure some of you southern folk would want dry suits! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

CO Surfer    289

Pretty nice pics Dark! You're way up there off that wave.

My family is still wearing shorties with mid-70's water. I'd be in my long wetsuit if it was high 60's.

RhuntIII    555

Killing it Dark, excellent camera work.

rockballer    162

Nice shots Dark.... Thanks for showing me your wave. Looks like you must of had 200 LBS of sexy weight in the back that helped.LOL Puts my current wave to shame. Going to try and dial it in a bit more. Just purchased a new Phas Five board too. Hoping that will help out.

DarksideR    1,679

Thanks guys! Taking some good spills too while trying these damn air reverses. Landed my ribs right on the fin. Got a nice bruise from it, could have been worse.

No problem rockballer. LOL on the sexy weight. I should have loaded the boat up more to show you how much bigger it could be. Keeping the wave a little smaller and mellowed while trying the new tricks.

Let me know when you go out again, I'd love to come out and surf your Avy and try to improve your wave if possible.

What P5 did you get? Aku? Been wanting to try out the Wire.

rockballer    162

Was going to go with the AKU... But the 2015 model that I like, I couldn't find. Got a 2015 Jam, The reviews on it were really good so I went with that. Going to try and pick up a AKU 2015 if I can find one for a good price.

DarksideR    1,679

Nice! Well I can say this about the Aku and ANY P5 I've ridden, they are very fast boards! The Aku I've tried is a 56" and feels slightly too small for me. I find pointy nosed surfboards tend to pearl easier, so I think you'll like the Jam.

• Like 1

gator808    84

Killing it Dark! I can't wait to go back out there with your camera setup again.....I think I am going to extend the length more this time and see how it turns out.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Killing it Dark! I can't wait to go back out there with your camera setup again.....I think I am going to extend the length more this time and see how it turns out.

Got any pics or vids to show us!?

Yeah, I want to extend mine too. Gonna need support of some sort.

rockballer    162

Got any pics or vids to show us!?

Yeah, I want to extend mine too. Gonna need support of some sort.

You should use a painters extension pole. They are light weight aluminum. I have one that weighs next to nothing. Very little flex and extends to 16'. There is a guy on YouTube that is using one. Just search extra long gopro extension pole. Comes up. I can tell it's a painters pole. Probably be best to try and mount it on the top of your tower.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

rockballer    162

They have some with custom threaded ends too. So you can make all kinds of custom mounts and just thread them on.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

DarksideR    1,679

Funny enough, I was at Home Depot yesterday looking at them. I made my mount because I didn't want anyone to have to hold the thing and chance it dinging the boat. I'm sure it could be attached somewhere though like you said.

rockballer    162

Ya I have a big wooden broom that uses the same thread. Would be real easy making a custom mount out of one of those. It fits right in too and wood floats ;)

Edited by rockballer
  • Like 1