Praesto

Weird sound from engine compartment (video)

Praesto    25

I turned on all the accessories and they worked strong. Also it reads 13 on the dashboard. Both terminals are tight I did check that. I didn't have a reader with me to check specific battery percents. It could potentially be the battery not having enough juice. But still confused because the dealer claimed they water tested it and that everything there works. I'll check tonight if it's the battery but I highly doubt it.

Praesto    25

Edit: solved it when I got home. Apparently I was handling the 50A wrong. Wow do I feel like an idiot, but either way I have the boat back and it turns on. Tomorrow is on the water test day and I will report back with pictures and more!

• Like 1

Stretch    409

Good deal. I couldn't get the boat to crank on the water once for 30 min till I figured out the throttle wasn't in neutral.. Hah. Hope your lake test goes well!

• Like 1

Praesto    25

The insurance company wants a whole bunch of information that I don't have.

Boat is a 2007 Centurion Cyclone C4

Purchased from Centurion directly

Apparently when the insurance information was filed it was noted that the engine is an "Eagle Train", is this correct? Thought it was a Black Scrorpion

They also want the exact "nomenclature" of the engine, and size.

They want to know how many CC the engine is

Not sure why, I did not originally fill out the insurance information, my parents did.

Stretch    409

5,735 cc.. Roughly. Just from the 350 (5.7) v8. Technically that's probably off depending on the exact bore x stroke of that motor but still.

Babylon    23

I can't tell for sure from this small video shot, but it looks like the water is exiting closer to the Velvet drive. From my view, the water is exiting pretty close to the bell housing near the rear of the engine hence my assumption about the transmission. I also couldn't hear any engine running, so is the water pressure from a fake-a-lake, or hose or something? Maybe a loose hose or a cracked transmission-fluid cooler? Just guessing here.

In any case, very abnormal!

Edited by Babylon

Praesto    25

This happens when the boat is on or even after it has been turned off. I just recently gottan a brand new engine. This worries me as the dealer who worked on it does not offer a labor warranty so not sure how to handle this.

Would you all recommend against using it? Seems like an obvious but I would like thoughts as this will effectively end my season. By the time I could get it repaired it would be time for winterization.

We have used the watercraft twice since we picked it back up and this problem was there both times. First time I could not get a video. It has not been used since this video was taken.

viking    491

I would take it right back to the dealer who did the work!

enzo on LI    79

Wow...I am losing my pooh here and this isn't even my boat! Take it back! Warranty or not make me look at it and explain it! Something!

Damn!

(Pulling hair out and trying to keep it clean but I'm mad for ya man!) good luck

truekaotik    458

Praesto,

Take that back brother, screw his no warranty pooh, that was leaking on pick up. He better fix it right or sue that hillbilly.. That will teach him..

Praesto    25

I have e-mailed the dealer and will let you guys know what happens.

Praesto    25

The dealer is saying it's the shaft seal (do you guys agree)? Not exactly sure what the shaft seal is myself but the water is coming from where the tranny is. (5-6 inches above the hull)

Also the dealer is saying he tried to replace it when my boat was getting repaired but couldn't and because I was complaining about time decided to leave it alone and said it wasn't leaking.

Lastly the dealer is saying they will have to cut my shaft because the bolts were too corroded to remove. So I'm getting a quote but will shop around.

Makes it very difficult to convince myself to keep the boat after all these costs on such a low hour watercraft.. (Sub 300)

viking    491

That sounds fishy. Why didn't the dealer and you have a discussion about the replacement of the shaft seal (or not) while the motor was being repaired. Seems like that is something that should have been discussed.

And why would they have tried to replace it if it didn't leak before unless you asked them to? Did the dealer look at your issue or is this just a speculation over emails? Unless someone looks at it how are they going to know?

I would try and find a second opinion myself. Sometimes if things just don't feel right it's because they aren't. But it's hard for us to tell because we are not in your position just on the outside looking in. Good Luck.

truekaotik    458

Ummmm... Yeah why would he say he was going to but didn't? This guy kills his credibility every time he opens his trap... He is banking on the fact you don't know anything and talks out his corn hole..

Anyways, yes, I thought it was the shaft seal at first but that amount of water is a complete failed seal.. It was like that before for sure, if not, dude dropped the engine or something and broke it.. Bottom line... What a D bag... Ughhh I hate backyard mechanics...

truekaotik    458

Do not let him cut the shaft! That will cost more, any intelligent mechanic will drill them out first! And resort to cutting the bolts second. NOT the shaft.. They are bolts for Pete sake... We have threads on shaft seal removal and install on the forum, please look these up and read as many as you can.. You will school that punk the next time you talk to him ;) I havnt heard of anyone cutting a shaft to remove.. Lmao

Edited by truekaotik

mec500    9

What bolts are to corroded to remove the coupling bolts? And if so did they let the vdrive and trans hang on the shaft while the engine was out? And how was the alignment completed without seperation of the coupling?

Praesto    25

@mec500 - Sorry for the ... super late reply. Not sure how they did it.

So after dealing with everything in this thread, including the dealer who did the engine repair attempting to charge close to 2K to change my shaft seal, I walked away from everything having to spend nearly 10K.

I did not let the dealer cut my shaft. I instead went to a much closer company that I had used previously and they took care of everything including a winterization for sub $600. Now I have a new engine and no leaks.

I was hoping to ask a few questions.

1. I have not put many hours on this engine being that it took the dealer nearly 2 months to put it in (vs a quoted time of 2-3 week), is there anything specific / special I should do with the new engine?
  2. My 1 year warranty on the engine runs out in July, part of me is worried that I will experience a problem shortly after. Anything I can do to try and avoid experiencing any issues?
  3. How long can I expect this remanned engine to last? (Approximately of course)

In the future I will continue to take my watercraft to the new mech I use for winterization (I don't have the time to learn/do it). What steps can I take to verify it was correctly winterized?

Thanks everyone and here is to wishing to have at least one good season!

EDIT: Don't worry I will become supporting member again next paycheck :)

Edited by Praesto