Praesto

Weird sound from engine compartment (video)

truekaotik    458

I missed that part of it. Then if that is the case I would concur that it is post engine in the drive train.

I figured you missed that! I've done it too :) no worries..

Praesto    25

I appreciate all of the conversation around the topic. Truekaotik has a very strong understanding of my issue. He explained it very well. I think he is onto something with loose / broken parts. I did not ground the boat or hit anything floating in the past 10 outings. My second video is "processing" and I will have the link posted when it is completed. I am not sure if this other noise is related or not but it hits directly on what TrueKaotic is talking about.

Here is another sound. This sound goes away when maintaining a speed above no wake and I believe is a separate noise from the other (although probably related)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gOZ1aZenttQ

Edited by Praesto

boatnut    230

But there's more then one problem here, like true said, possibly in the vdrive? Check the oil level and possibly drain it out and see if there is any shavings in it

Skibumm    184

Holy Sh#& that sounds horrible. Do not run that until that is figured out. Once again just spit balling. Loose fly wheel, V drive gear or oil level. Coupler loose but I would think running that with lose coupler bolts would sheer them off. Worn cutlass bearing, Bent shaft. I would run from front to back and check everything. Loose mounts. I am now just thinking out loud. I could not even watch that whole video because it made me sick.

mec500    9

Sounds like a truck with a cracked or broken flex plate. Especially if it goes away while maintaining

Edited by mec500

truekaotik    458

Your catching bolts from the coupler, as it spins they are hitting the Vdrive.. I hope it's this easy... If it's at flywheel side, it's some work...

The coupler bolts are below the rear of the V-Drive.

Please check to rule out so we can continue and I won't say coupler anymore ?

Edited by truekaotik

Praesto    25

It kinda sounds low on oil, have you checked that? How many hours on the engine?

Oil Is good and was checked again

Check your coupler connection to the Vdrive?

No noise in neutral rev'd up would make look into the engagement or drive parts..

I checked and could not find the bolts lose or anything

Check, plugs, cap, rotor, etc.. I would also put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail....

Cap is good, Rotor is good.

During my check I found these:

post-2078-0-82805700-1432477656_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-26796700-1432477722_thumb.jpg

Interesting thing is that this is the second spark plug in the SAME spot to end up like this. I had to change one out two weeks ago that looked like this, but the boat ran fine the first time after I changed it so I figured that was solved. Now I am thinking there is definitely a reason why my 2 week old spark plug looks like that and all the other 1 year+ old spark plugs look great.

As for the metal circle thing that was on the shaft and there is another one down there but I did pull that one off while feeling around below the V-drive.

Thoughts on both pieces?

Edit: I googled video of damper plate failure and it doesn't quiet sound like that.

Edited by Praesto

truekaotik    458

The strap can be old or recently broke. Did you find where it was supposed to be? Hose clamps leave noticeable marks. As for the plug.... You may be loosing a cylinder...or your valves are bad in the head.. Take a video of what you consider it not making noise please?

boatnut    230

Do you have a compression gauge?

Probably the oil ring is starting to fail, how any hours on that engine again?

mec500    9

That plug looks like a pre ignition failure. If all the others are looking good is there any chance a couple plug wires got crossed

Edited by mec500

Praesto    25

The strap can be old or recently broke. Did you find where it was supposed to be? Hose clamps leave noticeable marks. As for the plug.... You may be loosing a cylinder...or your valves are bad in the head.. Take a video of what you consider it not making noise please?

The strap was around a little rubber part right around where the shaft leaves the boat, there was another strap securely on at that same point. As for "not making noise" my last time out I did some extra testing and the noise I am hearing (I refer to it as a "ch ch ch ch ch" sound in an earlier post) is being made the entire time. As driver it is just difficult to hear while at wakeboard speed (24 Mph)

Do you have a compression gauge? Probably the oil ring is starting to fail, how any hours on that engine again?

Engine has 220 hours on it, I do not have a compression gauge but might be able to get my hands on one.

That plug looks like a pre ignition failure. If all the others are looking good is there any chance a couple plug wires got crossed

I will check today to see, but I don't think so primarily because the boat worked well with these plugs all last season. (Wires have not changed since)

Let's see it from the side?

post-2078-0-03852900-1432560224_thumb.jpg

The last piece of information I can provide that I may have missed.

The boat ran fine all last year and was professionally winterized last year by a dealer at the end of the season. Stabilizer was placed into the fuel as part of that process. At the beginning of this season injector cleaner, more stabilizer, and a full tank of gas was added to the fuel tank. Had two great times out on the water without any issues. Third time on the water the spark plug literally blew out of its socket. Did not realize that until after we had the boat back on the trailer and in the drive way. That spark plug looks just like the one pictures above except the center node is blown about half way down the hole. Placed new spark plug into the socket and took the boat out. Spent 5 hours on the water with no issues, no noises (At least none I could hear), and no problems with anything else. Following weekend put the boat in the water and it starts acting weird with the noises and everything. Boom problem occurs, get towed back to the ramp, get boat on trailer, walk to computer, type up post here :laughing:.

Following some of the recommendations here I was able to find this out:

• All fluids are good (Oil, Vdrive, and some other fluid I am not sure what is...)
  • All plugs (except the one pictured above) are good
  • Rotor and cap are in great condition
  • Coupler bolts are rusty as all heck but strong and solid
  • All fuses are good (Always just an easy quick check)
  • Fuel water separate is brand new so I assume that is good
  • Spark Plug pictures is bad
  • Hose clamp broken, but at the same spot there is another visible hose clamp securely fastened (As TrueKaotic mentioned, who knows how long the clamp has been broken)

Here is a picture of where the hose clamp came off from.

post-2078-0-88145800-1432561085_thumb.png

Also a question: Could the injector be bad causing that cylinder to run lean?

Edited by Praesto

volzalum    280

From your picture, you can see where the hose clamp goes. Just put a new one in that spot so you have 2 on each end. I can't help with the engine problems.

Praesto    25

From your picture, you can see where the hose clamp goes. Just put a new one in that spot so you have 2 on each end. I can't help with the engine problems.

Agreed I will get a new hose clamp on first thing. Still need to address/assess the other issues :cry:

Praesto    25

With no real "leads" at this point I think I am going to have the dealer look into the issue. I will strap a newn hose clamp where the one came off, but I will leave the spark plug out and explain this all to the dealer. If anyone has any more ideas let me know in the mean time.

truekaotik    458

Well now I'm think it's valve noise...

Praesto    25

Well now I'm think it's valve noise...

That is a valid thought but the engine is very low hours. It would surprise me to have a valve issue on an engine that has the equivalent to 7K miles. I know marine hours are more rough on an engine than road miles on a car engine, but 10X harder? Oil changes have been done every year, plug changes every year.

Of course things do happen. I am still hoping it is an injector issue.

Edited by Praesto

truekaotik    458

Agree, so Pop the rail and switch injectors buddy. That will help you determine that scenario :)

Skibumm    184

By no means a mechanic here but if it were injectors or valve would it go away at higher RPMs? Or is it just masked better?