Sign in to follow this  
bcollins

Need help with amp settings

bcollins    18

Hey guys, so I am going to be running 4 Polk DB650 inboats off a PCA 465 (4 x 65 at 4 Ohms). What should I set the various amp settings to…I’m sure you audio guys will say it depend so I’m just looking for a typical starting point. It has the following:

Bass Boost (OdB – 12dB):
Low Pass (50Hz – 250Hz):
Hi Pass (50Hz – 250Hz):
Crossover Selector (LP – HP – Flat)
Level/Gain (8v – 0.3V):

I understand the gain is to match whatever the headunit is sending and I read a bit on how to tune that but as far as everything else I have no idea where to start. Not looking for a bunch of bass from 6” speakers if that helps.

Phil did a write up, on another forum, on how to set the IX500.4 for my Kickers so I'm good there.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Cross-over needs to be Hi-Pass. Having a sub or not, would impact where the cross-over Hz ends up. if Phil's write-up has gain setting tips, fallow those. The remaining settings are null when the amp is in-hi-pass.

bcollins    18

Thanks Wylie, no sub so just the 4 inboats and the kicker tower speakers. IX500.4 for the kickers and the PCA 465 for the polk inboats. No intentions of running a sub. So set the selector to HP and I'm good or do I need to adjust the Hi Pass, Low Pass, Bass Boost. If so, suggestions. I appreciate the help.

truekaotik    458

No sub I'd set hi- pass filter to 65-70hz... NO boost... Tune it..

Edited by truekaotik

Wylie_Tunes    146

Hi-pass as low as 60hz will yield some good sound quality. If you want to push them harder, I would suggest a little higher, like above 80Hz, as you may hear them over drive @ 60Hz. Those other settings are out of the loop when the amps in hi-pass, so you can ignore them.

truekaotik    458

True.... Wanna rip them? Then I'd do above 80hz for sure like Wylie said... They will still yield great mid bass and lows @100hz-120hz...

Edited by truekaotik

bcollins    18

Thanks fellas, I'll try something in that 80hz range and go from there. I appreciate the info. Very helpful, I had no idea where to start so this should get me to where I can at least experiment a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

On a different but somewhat related note, drilling 5" holes in fiberglass with a cheap harbor freight hole saw is a lot of work. Came out nearly perfect but thought I was going to burn through a drill. Still have one more to do. :thumbdown: