jiriki

Engine overhead - guardian kicking in

jiriki    13

So you never had overheating issues with the old impeller, that was basically finless and torn to shreds and now that you've replaced it you're having overheating issues. Sounds like my boat.

Thermostat? Didn't notice that above. Also, make sure with all your tinkering you didn't just knock something loose. I did last year when I pulled the pump and it gave me similiar symptoms. It was a tiny hose under the serpantine belt that came loose and was dumping water into my bildge. At speed it ran a bit warm but at idle it ran hot as a result. Different engine but just something to look for.

I probably did have overheating issues before. My first time out with the boat late last year, guardian mode kicked in but I didn't know it was related to engine temperature at the time. After I unloaded some ballasts, it was fine.

I replaced it over the winter.

I'll look for that house. Probably to the thermostat housing?

bcollins    18

Actually the hose was down below and went directly into the block I believe....it was very small. Again, different engine just saying sometimes getting those pumps out are tricky and you can knock stuff out of wack in the process.

jiriki    13

I was just out tinkering trying to figure this out.

Here's what I have done so far:

Hooked up a 5 gallon bucket with a ball valve at the bottom of the bucket. Hooked a hose from the valve to the 'fake-a-lake' valve I installed in a different thread. This allows me to see how fast water is being sucked in and I can control the water pressure. This eliminates house water pressure assisting the pump.

The result is it sucked down about 4 gallons of water over the course of 3 to 4 minutes. I think this is slow. At about 5 minutes.. it stopped sucking in water entirely. It's easy to visually see that the water level in the bucket is not changing. I checked the exhaust to confirm no water was coming out.

So oddly, it works semi-fine for a few minutes then stops.

I actually took a video of this experiment but it's like 6 minutes of watching water move.. rather boring.

• Like 1

Something is wrong. Have you done a compression check? It may not be the time yet but that will tell you if you have a cracked head or blown head gasket. No water in oil?

That little water moving through the engine seems like not much to me. A gallon a minute wouldn't keep it cool long. Not to mention if your not careful you can fry your exhaust hose. And more.

duramat    462

Jiriki, what are your temps when your running? (Idle and scooting)

jiriki    13

Something is wrong. Have you done a compression check? It may not be the time yet but that will tell you if you have a cracked head or blown head gasket. No water in oil?

That little water moving through the engine seems like not much to me. A gallon a minute wouldn't keep it cool long. Not to mention if your not careful you can fry your exhaust hose. And more.

I'll check the oil. Can the water/oil mixture be seen via dip stick or do I have to suck out a bunch?

jiriki    13

Jiriki, what are your temps when your running? (Idle and scooting)

When I did this experiment.. I was idle the whole time. It was at 175 or so. But once the water stopped getting pumped, I heard the guardian kick off.

If it's been running it's no mistaking it. Like someone said up in the thread. It will be chocolate milk color and higher in your dipstick

duramat    462

I was just out tinkering trying to figure this out.

Here's what I have done so far:

Hooked up a 5 gallon bucket with a ball valve at the bottom of the bucket. Hooked a hose from the valve to the 'fake-a-lake' valve I installed in a different thread. This allows me to see how fast water is being sucked in and I can control the water pressure. This eliminates house water pressure assisting the pump.

The result is it sucked down about 4 gallons of water over the course of 3 to 4 minutes. I think this is slow. At about 5 minutes.. it stopped sucking in water entirely. It's easy to visually see that the water level in the bucket is not changing. I checked the exhaust to confirm no water was coming out.

So oddly, it works semi-fine for a few minutes then stops.

I actually took a video of this experiment but it's like 6 minutes of watching water move.. rather boring.

Something aint right...

That 5 gallons is at idle, gone in less than a minute

Edited by duramat

duramat    462

Here Kitty Kitty's

Edited by duramat
  • Like 2

Here Kitty Kitty's

Hahahaah!?

jiriki    13

If it's been running it's no mistaking it. Like someone said up in the thread. It will be chocolate milk color and higher in your dipstick

No water in the oil :) Whew!

jiriki    13

Something aint right...

That 5 gallons is at idle, gone in less than a minute

I'll try it again. I'll remove the hose off the transmission cooler and see how fast the water pump alone should be moving water. That movie is exactly what I probably needed for reference speed. If it's still slow, willing to be the grooves in the water pump are bad...

That's good. It could still be a cracked head or head gasket but I'd wait a bit on checking that. The head could be cracked in a water jacket and not an oil galley. It could be pressurizing the cooling system with exhaust gasses. Seen that before. Which could effect cooling. That could also explain why it takes it a minute for flow to slow. But keep all that on the back burner for now.

I'd go straight to the impeller again and check it. Check hoses for leaks. Also if you can't get it to flow maybe pull your thermostat and check it or replace, could be stuckclosed. I know vortec Chevys have a bypass to allow some coolant to pass. And our boats have vortecs and vortec heads.

Edited by Tommywalton1974

jiriki    13

That's good. It could still be a cracked head or head gasket but I'd wait a bit on checking that. The head could be cracked in a water jacket and not an oil galley. It could be pressurizing the cooling system with exhaust gasses. Seen that before. Which could effect cooling. That could also explain why it takes it a minute for flow to slow. But keep all that on the back burner for now.

I'd go straight to the impeller again and check it. Check hoses for leaks. Also if you can't get it to flow maybe pull your thermostat and check it or replace, could be stuckclosed. I know vortec Chevys have a bypass to allow some coolant to pass. And our boats have vortecs and vortec heads.

The only leak I found was one of the blue drain plugs was missing an O-Ring. I have since put a new one on. Before I check the thermostat, here's what I just did:

Just did my experiment again but this time, I took off the hose leading into the transmission cooler. So the only thing I see to worry about is the water pump itself.

Filled up the bucket again. Turned on the engine and I see water coming out. It doesn't look like much at all. I plugged the hose into the transmission cooler and go to the exhaust. The water coming out is very weak compared to Dura's video.

I think the water pump itself is jacked. I'll take it apart again and look. My theory is, the grooves in the cover is the culprit....

Your probably right about that. Mine had zero groves. And it pumps like hell. All that other stuff should only be worried about after you get good flow. I think you have it about figured out

crew chief    4

Sorry To leave you hanging. I Was At Work, when back flushing a cooler unhook the leading Hose To The Cooler and undo the back Hose of the cooler and hook up a garden hose . Then Flush It out

jiriki    13

Pm ME Your Number And Ill Call you

Thanks crew. I'll send it it over tomorrow. Can't hurt to back flush it regardless. It's dark here now.

jiriki    13

Your probably right about that. Mine had zero groves. And it pumps like hell. All that other stuff should only be worried about after you get good flow. I think you have it about figured out

I'm getting a little good at taking this water pump off. The cover is sitting in front of me on my coffee table.