Bigshow    0

With 330 horses I'm not worried about power. I'd put two in line if I could figure out how. I might buy one basket and two SS and see how it goes.

riverdog    0

I found a local place that carries that style of slip in inserts. If I get a chance next weekend I will try and install. I'll let everyone know the results.

Bigshow    0

Well I bought a set. Now I need to find the time to install.

post-47-1209431907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigshow

Dale    0

Bigshow,

Please let us know if they work/help. Also, assuming they work, post the supplier info.

Thanks,

Dale

tgaugh    2

Show - Can you video the before and after? Do you have a way to measure the db? I'm real curious about this solution as this is the #1 complaint. What about any warranty issues with after market additions?

I bought it and would gladly pay to the $1,000 (or so) I paid for it to get rid of the "jet-boat" noise.

Statements like these may prompt Centurion to address this at the factory.

Bigshow    0

I just got the 4-inch hose and clamps in. I don't think I'm going to get these installed for this Sunday. I've got a dBA meter at work. I was planning to do exactly what you suggest. I can't help it. It's the engineer in me.

When I'm driving I prefer to return the rope to the surfer on the driver’s side, I like to see the surfer. When you’re surfing on the port side and returning the rope on the drivers side puts the exhaust in the surfer face. So I flip the switch when I get near the surfer. However, I sometimes forget to flip the switch back when I pull the surfer. We've created a new hand signal for this problem. The surfer holds their nose to signal the driver to flip the switch. One nice thing about SS is you can use it as a docking thruster. It helps push you to the dock if you choose the correct side.

After having the boat out once and then on a long weekend I can say that I really miss Fresh Air Exhaust. For me that's an incredible solution. It's quite, and you don't have to worry about the side of the boat that the exhaust is on.

Miljack    0

Hey guys, newbie here. I'm a Correct craft owner, but I am interested in learning more about the Sideswipe option on the Centurions.

How does it work? Are there two solenoid activated valves in the exhaust sytem that allow you to run the boat in three different modes, ie. starboard open only, port only, both open?

Anybody with pictures of this setup?

thanks,

Jack

Bigshow    0

I don't have any pics. There are two valves. I don't know if they are solenoids or servo'd You can run with both open or either.

Bigshow    0

Power loss, I'm 400 ft above sea level I doubt that I’ll notice the difference.

I installed the silencers on the starboard side this evening and I brought home a sound level meter from work.

It took all of 30 minutes to install one side. That's largely because I didn't know what I was doing and because I made several trips to the basement for tools. I used a large standard screw driver, I had a large Phillips screwdriver that I didn’t need, and I used a coping saw.

Removing the old hose between the exhaust valve and the flapper valve was easy, just loosen four band clamps. I rolled the exhaust hose back and forth and pulled on it until it came off.

I removed the four screws on the Side Swipe flapper valve, the valve seen on the hull of the boat. It turns out I didn’t need to remove the screws, I never removed the flapper valve.

The silencers are 5 inches long with a 4 inch diameter. I cut off a 4 inch long section of exhaust hose. I places the silencer and 4 inch hose near the flapper valve. Then I laid some hose next to the silencer and the Side Swipe switched exhaust valve to see how long the other section of hose should be. I cut to fit, slid this longer section over the silencer and pushed the hose on until it went back over the SS switched exhaust valve. I had to add four new band clamps. I tighten up the band clamps and the starboard side was done. No big deal really.

I’m taking the Mighty Enzo to the Crush the Ice for Life event in Rome City Indiana tomorrow. I only installed the silencer on the starboard side so I’ll be able to compare the port and starboard side with the sound level meter. After that I’ll install the silencer on the port side.

I spent $119 plus shipping on the silencers. I spent another >$40 on extra 4 inch hose and band clamps. This addition is well under $200 and very easy to do. I’ll report on the noise improvement soon.

The silencers and new hose... Cutting a 4 inch section

post-47-1210385677_thumb.jpgpost-47-1210385687_thumb.jpg

The cover over the SS and the old hose

post-47-1210385699_thumb.jpgpost-47-1210385707_thumb.jpg

the 4 inch hose and silencer

post-47-1210385716_thumb.jpg

The finished conversion

post-47-1210385727_thumb.jpg

riverdog    0

Good job! Can't wait to here the results. Have the same silencers just haven't got a chance to install yet. Thought it might be hard to get hose apart.

Bigshow    0

A very big disappointment.

There was no, noticeable difference in measured dB levels. None!

I brought a clipboard and was going to do some formal measurements. However, I didn’t spend a lot of time testing with the dB meter. In fact we were closing out the day at the Crush the Ice for Life event in Rome City, Indiana. We were trying to recover the boat before the rain hit and so made measurements on the way back to the boat ramp. So my measurements were ad hock. Since we we’re rushing I didn’t take notes. I’ll repeat this test and record the results.

Some of the folks on shore at the event thought that the sound was cool. Some of the young surfers on the boat also thought the loud sound was cool. I do not, my head rings. I really miss my FAE.

The boat had no ballast and only had a crew of two. I located the dB meter at the ski pylon and pointed the mic upward. We tested at 1,000 rpm, 2,000 rpm, and 3,000 rpm. Sound levels at 1,000 rpm were about 85 dB, over 90 at 2,000 rpm, and high 90s at 3,000 rpm.

My driver thought it sounded different form side to side. I pointed out that the drivers seat is asymmetrically located so naturally the sound level is different from side to side. I move the dB meter right by the drivers head. Again I pointed the mic on the meter upward. No difference in dB levels were measured.

Subjectively I’d say that the port and starboard sound different, but not much. I got confused a few times when the switch was thrown. So I’d say that there isn’t a strong difference with the â€Silencer†installed or not installed.

There are other muffler options for inboards but the layout of the SS doesn’t appear to have the dimensions needed to accommodate them. I think that it should be possible to reduce noise with some sort of muffler. This isn’t it. If it were designed in there should be more opportunities for sound improvement.

riverdog    0

No difference. That sucks. Maybe I should return mine. Funny when they claim 8 -12 db. Guess were stuck with the noise when it comes to sideswipe.

Noise is the downside to sideswipe. After hearing one in action a few years back I vowed never to order a boat with one. They can be removed but it is a bit of work.

One removes the side swipe and hardware, glasses the hull holes on the sides, then everything from the riser elbows back needs to get replaced with a traditional exhuast system. I am told it costs about 2K to do. You could even add turned down exhaust tips a la malibu while you are at it.

Bigshow    0

Hmmmm.... I don't think I'd go that route.

Kramer    0

Man guys I can't imagine 90 db's at cruising, thats insane. unfortunate for those in the boat but i bet it sounds pretty mean. I haven't heard SS yet personally. Any videos of anyone's boats? I have an 04T5Comp with a 350 in it, and it's the loudest boat on the lake of mastercrafts, bu's, and nautiques, everyone loves it though. But the FAE is perfect for that, talking in the boat isn't even a problem over the exhaust. Sorry to hear about that and especially for the bummer of the silencer bigshow...

Bigshow    0

It's cold and windy today so I canceled my crew. I did go over to the Mighty Enzo with the other "Silencer", band clamps, hose, saw, and a screw driver. I cut off an inch of hose between the SS valve and the tube that joins the left and right exhaust. Then I stuffed both "Silencers†in the hose between the butter fly valve and the SS valve. I connected the whole thing back together. So now I have two "Silencers†on the starboard exhaust. I’ll have to wait until next weekend to see if two in series “Silencers†has any effect.

hiflyer    0

So does anyone really know if there is a solution to the sideswipe noise? I emailed two different departments at fineline but have never had a response. But when I emailed for prices of things I get one right away. It would sure be nice to quiet them down.

riverdog    0

You tried 2 silencers in one side?

Bigshow    0

Yup, two on the starboard side. I'll measure dB levels tomorrow. The difference from left to right was easily noticed.

So the side with two is less noisy than the side with none. The nosiest is with both sides on.

So for about $300 you can cut the noise level reasonably well. Again I’ll have data tomorrow.