This is my first boat and I bought it yesterday. I bought it with the Carb off of it and the PO knew very little about the boat so Im in the dark on the specs of it. Also, I've been looking for parts on ebay but have had little success. Perhaps you fellows can point me in the right direction for parts. I acquired a 1989 Centurion Lapoint TruTrac. Unknown motor size but Im assuming its the 351. Ive taken photos of the things that are missing in hopes that you guys can tell me what is supposed to go there and hopefully provide a link to the part. I appreciate all of your efforts in advance!

20130420_182838_zpseb2b462a.jpg

I dont know where this choke wire is supposed to connect to. Also, Im missing the air filter mounting plate and filter. Any clue where to get them?

20130420_182811_zps2e6657dc.jpg

Both of these plug holes on the valve covers need something to plug the hole, I know that much, but what goes there?

20130420_182804_zps26e70145.jpg

I dont know where this wire plugs in that comes from the resistor in the picture. Any ideas?

20130420_182750_zps789479db.jpg

Its missing the fuel line that goes from the pump to im guessing the Carb. But where exactly on the carb does this hose go to? The shiny chrome one? Also, what length and ID do I need to buy the replacement fuel hose?

20130420_182745_zps064b8c6e.jpg

Missing the bolt that goes into the alternator bracket. What size do I need??

20130420_182737_zps66f8acd9.jpg

Im missing the hose that goes from the water pump to thermostat (at least I think thats where it goes) where can I find this hose?

20130420_165208_zps7b350308.jpg

I pulled this off the intake, in case anyone needs it in order to identify the motor

I appreciate any and all help yall can give. Links to what I need are GREATLY appreciated. Im sure Ill have plenty more questions down the road!

superdtf    68

Oh man, you need to find someone with this motor. I'm not it. Let's just hope he shows up.

Can you get pic's of the exhaust manifolds, that will help us know what marinization you have.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply super. Here is a pic of the manifold. Appears to be indmar...

20130420_165144_zpsffb14761.jpg

DaveB    5

Most of this stuff is pretty simple, but not that easy to do with photo`s. If you know or can find a backyard mechanic even an automotive guy he could help with most of it.Most of your issues appear to be basic engine stuff nothing really marine so somebody with some basic mechanic skills should be able to help if you can get them on site. Good Luck

superdtf    68

OK, so I'll try to get this rolling:

In the first picture, you'll see your metal fuel line connect from the from the rear bowl to the front bowl. Not shown in the picture is where there SHOULD be a steel line that connects to your fuel pump.

That wire is for your electric choke, I think you just need to find 12v keyed for it.

The empty hole in the valve cover is where the PCV valve should go, it should be connected by a black hose to your spark arrestor which you are missing.

I can't tell what the purple wire is in the picture.

In the next picture, I think you have an automotive fuel pump. That's BAD. It won't connect the right way to your carb, and you'll leak gas into your bilge when the pump fails (that means your boat becomes a bomb). You seem to be missing the steel fuel line between the carb and the pump; which makes sense because you have the wrong pump. Probably someone replaced it with an automotive one, and then used rubber feul line to hook it up to the carb... again, super BAD (and not in the good way.).

The bolt for that bracket will usually have a 5/8 head, but I don't know what the threads are.

The hose you're missing is the "J" tube; and yes it connects the pump to the t-stat housing. Everyone will know what that is when you order it. I've seen a "J" tube iron fitting that has a drain, and then you simply buy two short pieces of standard radiator hose.

So, you need to call these guys: skidim.com The guy I talk to is Bruce or Kurt (or some name with a "U"). He's super laid back and helpful.

superdtf    68

Oh, sorry the PCV may not connect to the spark arrestor, it should connect to an orifice on the intake manifold right below the carburator. And you should have a "breather" where you fill your oil that connects to the spark arrestor.

Sorry, it's been a few years since I looked at a carburated engine.

Waiting for the baby to wake up and the rest of the family went to church... so:

Spark arrestor: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R145011

Fuel line (you'll have to switch out your fuel pump): http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA085002B

Fuel pump (I know these say PCM, but it'll fit your 351): http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080002A

You'll have to do the fuel pump and the line at the same time.

BUT CALL THEM FIRST- I don't think that fuel line will work with your carburator.

PCV valve: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R035015 - Oh yea, that connects NOT to your spark arrestor, but to your intake manifold, there's a little spot right below your carb for it.

Hose to connect your new fuel pump to your new spark arrestor: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R045029

You'll need some hose to connect your new PCV valve; you can get that at the Autozone or NAPA

"J" tube: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R045048

For the bolt, you'll need to empty out the coffee can of bolts that you (or your old-timer neighbor) collects and figure out what threads. Then go to the hardware store and buy the length you need in a "Grade 8" hardened bolt. Don't forget the locking style or a lockwasher.

• Like 2

Super you are the MAN! Thank you for all your help. You have saved me a lot of frustration. Do you know of any online service manuals? I would love to be able to have schematics/pictures/wiring diagrams to compare to. Thanks!!!

duramat    462

Super you are the MAN!

X2!

RVR-RAT    269

X3..

Good to see you back active on the site again you were missed :thumbsup:

Thanks for the manual super! Couple more questions for the guru...

Ive got a hole in each valve cover. Im guessing one should have a cap on it? Thats where I should put oil in correct?

20130420_182724_zps79cd2503.jpg

Im assuming some type of adapter is suppose to connect the throttle cable to carb here:

bd56e82f-7ae8-4bff-9fbf-884af7fba37b_zps0b373d18.jpg

And I think I need a spacer between the intake manifold and carb to clear the linkage because the carb wont sit flat on the manifold. Thanks for all your help!!

superdtf    68

Ok, so the big hole in the valve cover is where you put the oil. It needs a cap with an orifice for a breather tube to connect to your spark arrestor.

The little hole is for your PCV valve and yes, it connects to that little riser plate you referenced if you don't have one already.

A couple of clues have led me to believe you don't have the right carb on there. This is a bummer. They are not cheap. The carb on there doesn't have the fuel connection in the right place, AND a marine carb will have little "return" tubes from each bowl pointing down the intake throat. That means if the float sticks in either bowl, it will just dump the fuel down the motor. The one you have will dump fuel onto the top of the hot motor (again, think "bomb"). You'll see the little "return" tubes in the picture here (as well as the price :( ) : http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA052003

The carburetor that you need is the Holley 4160 or the Holley 4011. They make a street and marine version of each. You want the marine version in a 600 cfm. The 4011 is all aluminum, and they quit making it a few years ago. It's a much simpler and better carburetor, but not very common. The 4160 is what practically every marine 350 or 351 has on it. You can find them rebuilt all over for $400-500.

Yes, you need a little throttle linkage, and something tells me the old one is still bolted onto the old carb. It's the thing that looks like a tiny little trailer ball in this image: http://www.mastonsrcmarine.com/content/images/thumbs/0000165_throttle_linkage_kit_460.jpeg

Ok, so the big hole in the valve cover is where you put the oil. It

needs a cap with an orifice for a breather tube to connect to your spark

arrestor.

I searched ebay and skidim.com but dont see a oil cap with a hole on it.. got a website on where to purchase?

A couple of clues have led me to believe you don't have the right carb on there. This is a bummer. They are not cheap. The carb on there doesn't have the fuel connection in the right place, AND a marine carb will have little "return" tubes from each bowl pointing down the intake throat. That means if the float sticks in either bowl, it will just dump the fuel down the motor. The one you have will dump fuel onto the top of the hot motor (again, think "bomb"). You'll see the little "return" tubes in the picture here (as well as the price :( ) : http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA052003

The carburetor that you need is the Holley 4160 or the Holley 4011. They make a street and marine version of each. You want the marine version in a 600 cfm. The 4011 is all aluminum, and they quit making it a few years ago. It's a much simpler and better carburetor, but not very common. The 4160 is what practically every marine 350 or 351 has on it. You can find them rebuilt all over for $400-500.

That sucks really bad. I dont have the money right now for a new carb...Is it possible to run this carb until I save up the funds to replace with the correct one? Also, how do I tell which Carb I have?

Yes,

you need a little throttle linkage, and something tells me the old one

is still bolted onto the old carb. It's the thing that looks like a

tiny little trailer ball in this image: http://www.mastonsrcmarine.com/content/images/thumbs/0000165_throttle_linkage_kit_460.jpeg

This is the "old carb" that was on the boat but the PO removed it to put on his truck and now cant find the linkage, do you know where I could buy the linkage part I need? Directly from holley?

Thanks again for all your help super.

superdtf    68

Oil cap: http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/397/M-6766-FRVBK/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710884930&catargetid=1784155608&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJLB_a-w3bYCFctxQgodkEoAiw

Clearly that carb is what was on his truck. That he chose to swap them should tell you that it's not working well. I'd love to tell you to go ahead with the one you have, but I'd be douche to do it. You'll spend hours and dollars trying to make something work that'll never make you happy, and it'll be dangerous as he11. For these boats to be any fun, they don't need to just run, they need to run VERY well.

Unfortunately you really do need to get the right carb, fuel pump, and fuel line. Here's a carb on ebay for $380.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-600-CFM-Carburetor-Model-4160-Marine-Electric-choke-/271191668902?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f244878a6&vxp=mtr

The guys at skidim will have throttle linkage.

Edited by superdtf

Oil cap: http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/397/M-6766-FRVBK/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710884930&catargetid=1784155608&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJLB_a-w3bYCFctxQgodkEoAiw

Clearly that carb is what was on his truck. That he chose to swap them should tell you that it's not working well. I'd love to tell you to go ahead with the one you have, but I'd be douche to do it. You'll spend hours and dollars trying to make something work that'll never make you happy, and it'll be dangerous as he11. For these boats to be any fun, they don't need to just run, they need to run VERY well.

Unfortunately you really do need to get the right carb, fuel pump, and fuel line. Here's a carb on ebay for $380.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-600-CFM-Carburetor-Model-4160-Marine-Electric-choke-/271191668902?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f244878a6&vxp=mtr

The guys at skidim will have throttle linkage.

Im going to get the right carb. If im going to do it I might as well do it right the first time. I snapped some more pics of the fuel pump. Is the fuel filter set up the way it should be?

20130421_182008_zpsf9997707.jpg

20130421_182055_zps8cbbec01.jpg

20130421_184310_zps057db4c8.jpg

20130421_184322_zpsd37528bd.jpg

Also a few other things that have me scratching my head...

20130421_184435_zpseaa554cd.jpg

Im not sure what this is. I dont like the idea of having it really close to the bilge with only crimp connectors...

20130421_184422_zpsb0616d0e.jpg

Theres two studs in the bilge that Im unsure of what they bolt too. Perhaps a factory bilge pump? theres an aftermarket one in there now. Also, I notice Im missing the drain plugs all over the boat...can I get those via skidim as well?

20130421_190454_zps3750a9f7.jpg

Theres an exposed hole on the trailer that is directly above hydraulic fluid. Is there just a rubber cap that is supposed to fill that hole?

20130421_191558_zps6bab45e2.jpg

Im not sure what went here...but something screwed in and theres a rubber hose above it.

Man I didnt expect having to pay this much to get the boat running buy hey, I only got it for $1700 ha. Thanks for all your time and effort SUPER!

Here she is...

ResizedImage_1366352063514_zps95496bda.jpg

ResizedImage951366352086190_zps52d46ba9.jpg

Thanks to you she should be in the water in less than a month or two!

superdtf    68

The fuel filter looks fine. It's similar in design to an oil filter, and you un-screw the cartridge and install a new one. Now is a good time to do this (you don't want to foul your new carb with crap).

That little electrical box is, I believe, your ignition electronics, ballast resistor, etc. I can't tell where it's mounted, but it does look corroded. Typically those are mounted high on the back of the motor, above where the starter sits. But when I look at the overhead picture you posted, that stuff looks to be already there. So I don't really know what that is.

The studs next to your center drain hole look kinda big for a bilge pump, and I notice you're missing your center tow pylon. I'm guessing that's what's supposed to go there. Do you have it? You'll need it.

On your trailer, I think you're missing two caps, the real one for the reservoir, and the black plastic "cover". I'd be surprised if your surge brakes work very well; brake fluid is hydrophilic and will collect water and air like crazy when left open.

On the back, the little black tube connects to your speedomoter (try blowing into it really hard and have a buddy tell you if the needle moves). It needs a pitot, Originally it was an Airguide, but they don't exist anymore. If you just want it to work, then you can get this: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B

If you want to "restore" it, then you'll have to find one on ebay. If you want to be happy, you'll replace it with a paddlewheel or gps speedo unit.

It looks great. I'm surprised, the motor has been ravaged, but the exterior looks awesome!

duramat    462

If the pylon is missing, call my favorite woman at Fineline and she'll hook ya up. I found one from her for a local guy missing his. You'll need your Hull number.