truekaotik

flyboy wakesurf board

Getssum    10

I've rode the IS flyboy and the Soulcraft Jetty almost back to back on the same wave at the Wake9.com polar bear event last winter.

Now as a disclaimer I'd already purchased the IS before the event, but was VERY happy to ride it again on a different wave.

It's a very fast board, and very light. The construction is the inland surfer type and a LOT stronger than a Soulcraft or a Shredd Stixx. It's a board with a lot of down the line speed that only requires you to put your weight on your front foot to get moving!

I like the Soulcraft a lot as well, but I'm afraid to have such a fragile board on my boat with the little one jumping around all the time.

The IS is typically available for around 799$ so I'm not sure where people are getting the 900$ number, maybe MSRP?

Now is the time for deals to be made as the board was out late last year, isn't a "new" model, and there is typically a limited supply of them.

Jeff Walker has a great blog, at www.flyboywakesurf.com and I've had the pleasure to go surfing with him and his son a few times.

If you can get out west for the Wake9 open in spring, it's WELL worth your time, because you can ride over 30 boards in one day!

rizza32    0

The fins on the Fly Boy are angled making it a board that you have to pump. Gettsum, can you gain speed by pumping this board or is it similar to the sweetspot where you lean forward and it takes off. Thinking of getting one this summer.

Dreamer    96

Speed can be gained by either weighting the front foot or pumping. The board is so fast you will find yourself constantly have to brake to prevent hitting the boat.

wakemitch    15

The 2012 price is going to be $849 for the Flyboy fyi

For soulcrafts or any custom board, you can order exactly how you want it. If you want it more durable they will do it. Most people get the comp ready boards, but in reality most people dont need comp ready boards. Soulcraft, Walker Project, and Shred Stixx make great custom boards and will really work with the rider to build the best board for them.

Like getssum said, if you can make it to the West Coast Wakesurf Open in May you can demo 30+ boards. People travel from all over the country to the event because it is the only event of its kind.

truekaotik    458

Thanks Mitch... That's just as expensive as custom... Sooooo....

Getssum    10

Sorry for the late response, but wakemitch is correct that the Flyboy can be pumped, but you can also just put some weight on the nose and it screams forward. It's NOT like a shredd stixx that HAS to be pumped for speed. I like that. I'm lazy!

I've ridden the Soulcraft Jetty and liked it a bit, but home is the flyboy! I am EXTREMELY leery of having a custom board on the boat with me, with young kids jumping all over the place. I'm not sure who said that the IS flyboy was 2x the weight of the hand made version, but even at 2x the weight it's not like it's "heavy" at all.

If you really want the top banana in the wakesurf world, you'd need to talk to Stretch in Santa Cruz. He is a very well known shaper who now makes the boards for James Walker, and DJ James Z (James Harold). But be prepared to wait, and PAY. But your board will truly be one of a kind.

If you're a skim guy, just get a Calibrated and be done with it. Wakemitch will agree!

ReSession    165

I haven't been on this site for awhile but thought I'd add in my 2 cents ;) I sold my Sweet Spot 2 years ago and just shipped out my 2011 Mucus to a buyer in NC yesterday...replaced by the Inland Surfer Flyboy, a custom Flyboy from Jeff Walker, and a 2011 ShredStixx Custom Hazen.

The Mucus is a beginner/intermediate surf style board...I rode it a few times, added some speed fins but just never felt like it was the board for me. I really liked the Sweet Spot, but both boards felt 'tanky' in comparison, and tended to pearl easier for me and other riders. Both of those boards are thicker and heavier (7-8 lbs vs. the Flyboy's 5 lbs...it's SUPER light!). If someone were to ask "Should I buy the Flyboy over the Sweet Spot or Mucus?", I'd reply "All. day. long." But your experience level needs to match that of the board...my girlfriend is a first-season rider and only rides skim (Moss), so the Flyboy bucked her off a few times and left her with a bruised ego the rest of the day. The Flyboy also showed it's strength after my buddy jettisoned it into the back of the teak on my old boat...chipped the nose, but only cosmetically!

If you haven't rode a Flyboy yet, you need to check one out. Literally EVERY rider in my crew proclaimed the IS Flyboy to be their favorite board and I witnessed 'best of season' runs for everyone when they jumped on this board! Now, for me...I prefer the custom Flyboy, but they're much more difficult to get your hands on! I've written a number of posts about riding the Inland Surfer Flyboy, the custom Flyboy, and the Custom Hazen if you feel like checking out my blog?

wheeler    0

+1 for the Inland Surfer Flyboy... Board shreds!!!