bcollins

BrianHead.....good resort for snowboarding?

bcollins    18

Question for all of the Utah residents, or anyone that’s been there, I need some advice/information on Brianhead Resort. Basically, is it worth it to Travel there from San Diego for a short ski/snowboard vacation? We have a couple friends that have been there and really liked it. I understand there isn’t much nightlife, that’s fine….taking the kids, and the prices are very reasonable. My concern is it looks like the place is a glorified tubing hill so I just want to make sure I’m not driving 8 hours when I could just go up to Big Bear/Snow Summit (very small Southern California resorts) only 2 hours away.

I’ve been to Whistler and Mammoth the last couple years and I have no expectations that this place will even compare. To be honest Mammoth doesn’t compare to Whistler but I still love Mammoth. I just want to at least know there are some decent intermediate runs I can cruise with my kids/wife that won’t take all of 2 minutes from the peak to base. I have plenty of that here in Southern CA. I realize this place is really high at its base, 10K plus, so I’m thinking there should be plenty of good snow in February. I don’t really care to much about the terrain as my kids/wife are all beginners to low intermediate and I’ll be spending most my time with them. I just don’t want to be sitting in lift lines for 20 minutes to do a run that’s a few football fields long, like I do when I hit the local hills here, rinse and repeat. Basically, not looking for some epic resort but also not looking for a bunny hill masquerading as a ski resort. I’ll be heading to Mammoth this year as well so I’ll get my good riding in while I’m there.

The price and the location are factors so while I appreciate suggestions its pretty much Brianhead or Mammoth for this trip and while I love Mammoth it’s really expensive with the kids and they don’t really benefit from it because of their skill level. The fact that you go through Vegas helps as well, might have to do an overnight on the way back or something. Anyway, I appreciate the help and if you have any suggestions/advice about the area please let me know. Bummed boating season is just about over but looking forward to getting some snowboarding in.

Oh yeah, if you know of any deals on lift tickets, places to stay there, etc. please chime in.

Jackfly    0

b,

I grew up in central cal., our local hill was sierra summit. We used to go to Brain Head once a year. Pretty similar terrain. I live in Northern utah now and haven't been in a while. I think that it's a legit resort. They had TONS of snow last year. I think you would like it.

bcollins    18

Thanks Jackfly, probably going to end up going there so good to hear some others enjoyed it. Any tips, deals, etc. are appreciated if anyone knows where to stay, discounted lift tickets, things to do, etc.

superdtf    68

It's a fun, smallish mountain. It has GREAT kid terrain and enough intermediate/advanced terrain to keep you interested. The snow is amazing and the people are awesome. We usually go on Easter weekend and they have all sorts of fun activities. There are a few really good restaurants and enough nightlife if you don't need a disco. The altitude is high so beware the condos on the third floor in the building without an elevator (we won't make that mistake again).