Dale

Towing with a cover on?

WakeVB    0

Zap, I would recommend painters tape man. It seems to be doing the job for me and its super cheap....comes off easy too.

SV216    1

I never did write back about my gel coat repairs, but got my boat back and it looks pretty good. He warned me before I took it in that black is one of the hardest colors to match. I know where the repairs were done and I can see a small color difference but to anyone else they would have to look pretty hard to see them. Oh and I also have the snap on bow and cockpit cover which I use all the time and its great but havn't used the travel tarp since. I think I'll just use it for winter storage. To bad too because it is a great looking centurion travel tarp $800.

Edited by SV216

duramat    462

I second the painters tape!! I just took my trip to powell and it helps from the rubbing on the edges. HOWEVER!!,, My surfoboard was upside down in the process of packing out of there and I succedded in ripping a nice tear from the center fin of my board! "Very Bad Jerry". dont repeat what I did, I would of never of thought of that happenin. Keep in mind it was over a 6 hour drive of this. :rolleyes:

islander033    2
I second the painters tape!! I just took my trip to powell and it helps from the rubbing on the edges. HOWEVER!!,, My surfoboard was upside down in the process of packing out of there and I succedded in ripping a nice tear from the center fin of my board! "Very Bad Jerry". dont repeat what I did, I would of never of thought of that happenin. Keep in mind it was over a 6 hour drive of this. :rolleyes:

That ain't good at all. What did you end up tearing with your board?

zapisor    43

Thanks guys,

I'll think I'll use the painters tape on the short trips and use the industrial saran wrap on the long trips because 4 or 5 laps around the boat and all the rub points are covered.

duramat    462

Islander~ It was my snap cover about in the middle more towards port side. I had the whole middle of my boat with cooler (102quart) tents, sleeping bags, air chair, boxes of camping stuff and other stuff. My board sat perfectly on top of it all. Just the wrong way though. Im having it fixed right now. Just sucks to have another thing fixed. Hope to get my boat back and put all my stuff away.

Zap~ are you saying you go all the way around the edges with the ceran wrap as to keep out the dirt as you travel?

zapisor    43
Islander~ It was my snap cover about in the middle more towards port side. I had the whole middle of my boat with cooler (102quart) tents, sleeping bags, air chair, boxes of camping stuff and other stuff. My board sat perfectly on top of it all. Just the wrong way though. Im having it fixed right now. Just sucks to have another thing fixed. Hope to get my boat back and put all my stuff away.

Zap~ are you saying you go all the way around the edges with the ceran wrap as to keep out the dirt as you travel?

Costco sells the industrial version, the stuff they wrap pallets of boxes in when they are shipping. My thought was to go around the entire boat from the top of the gunnels (sp?) to just below the rub rail, and a few wraps where the tower meets the cover and then put the cover on. That way where ever the cover comes in contact with the gel coat there would be a protective layer of plastic. When we get to BC, pull the cover off and toss the plastic in the garbage. When its time to go home, grab the roll and giver another wrap.

To do this I would need about 10 rolls of painters tape

duramat    462

Let me know how it works out for ya. I could be interested in it.

islander033    2
Costco sells the industrial version, the stuff they wrap pallets of boxes in when they are shipping. My thought was to go around the entire boat from the top of the gunnels (sp?) to just below the rub rail, and a few wraps where the tower meets the cover and then put the cover on. That way where ever the cover comes in contact with the gel coat there would be a protective layer of plastic. When we get to BC, pull the cover off and toss the plastic in the garbage. When its time to go home, grab the roll and giver another wrap.

To do this I would need about 10 rolls of painters tape

How long are those rolls? You would need about 50ft per lap.

I do like the idea for long hauls, it's gotta be cheaper than gel coat repairs.

islander033    2

That sux. But I guess wrecking the tarp is better than tearing up the upholstery, not great but better.

Joe B    17

After I read about the gel coat damage, I never travel with the cover on. If we get stuck in the rain it looks like I get to wipe the boat down. Only time I'll use the cover if I leave it overnight at the dealer outside (I have indoor storage).

zapisor    43
After I read about the gel coat damage, I never travel with the cover on. If we get stuck in the rain it looks like I get to wipe the boat down. Only time I'll use the cover if I leave it overnight at the dealer outside (I have indoor storage).

I don't think I would even consider it with the style of cover that has the vertical straps, but the new style is like the Rankins with the single strap that runs under the rub rail and has the ratchet at the transom to tighten it

duramat    462

Joe~ I used Levi's Mudflaps and copied it exactly for less than $40 for my peace of mind. When I got to Powell finally I was taking off the snap covers and there was this cute little rock that somehow had flipped up and was on cover. Last years trip it was a rock that got flipped up and shattered my center glass. So Im a believer in the cover on and with painters tape. Just my $.02

I wondered about the Ceran Wrap idea going around the edges to "seal" off dirt and dust from coming through, Mabe Im up in the night. (Im notorious for dum ideas) mabe I should just invest in a rankin :unknw:

BCanuck    1

I love my Rankin style cover but would never travel long distance with it. My dealer always tells everyone to keep all covers off. The biggest problem is peeling the bugs off the tower. I hear saran wrap would solve that.

Joe B    17

I might have a big trip coming up with the boat. Did I say 'Never' a few posts ago????

Off to Sam's Club for a gross of Saran Wrap and Painter's Tape :yahoo:

islander033    2
I might have a big trip coming up with the boat. Did I say 'Never' a few posts ago????

Off to Sam's Club for a gross of Saran Wrap and Painter's Tape :yahoo:

Once the trip is done you will have to report back on your findings for what worked the best for you.

duramat    462

Keep your surfboard fins away from your cover! Or anything sharp for that matter. :drinks:

Just Converted my neighbor up the street with painters tape. We went out tonight and he was askin about my blue tape all over.

zapisor    43

So we towed the falcon a total of 557 miles with the cover on..... Nervous the entire trip....... got to the lake...... pulled the plastic off and BINGO!!!!! NOT A MARK!

A little extra to act as a rock guard

Ready to go!

just about there!

islander033    2

Right on Zapisor.

The extra saran for rockguard was a great idea.

How many wraps did you do?

zapisor    43

3 wraps around the boat and 1 for rock guard