h20king

Soulcraft surf boards

h20king    794

Well after spending a week at the NW crew gathering riding a soulcraft jetty 5.0 I decided I had to have one.The moment I stepped on the board it was LOVE AT FIRST SURF.I assumed the board was a mass produced model due to the quality of the board.When I got home I went on wake world and sent Jeff Wahlers a PM as I knew he was at the NWWSA comp on lake skamamish.He responded with his contact info and said call any time.So tonight when I got home from work I gave him a call and asked about getting a custom one off board made. I guess I could have just bought a standard board like I rode at the gathering but that just ain't my style.I spent some time talking with Jeff and to my surprise he still hand makes his boards one at a time here in the good ole USA :thumbsup: Idaho to be exact.He said a custom board would be no problem. We discussed the design of my board and by the end of the conversation I was told he would start my board tomorrow and send me some pics of the board in progress NOW THATS SERVICE :unworthy: I will not share the design you will just have to wait and see the in progress and finished pics as my board gets built.I was going to wait and start this thread when I had pics but I am so stoked and excited I had to share.Check back for in progress build picks :thumbsup::thumbsup: .....................................H

Here is a couple pics of me on the soulcraft at Banks lake

post-777-0-81760200-1312254013_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-03740900-1312254072_thumb.jpg

islander033    2

That is waaay cool H! I can't wait for the build pics and the review once you get to ride it.

h20king    794

board ready for the next process artwork and glass :thumbsup::thumbsup:

post-777-0-97251500-1312371665_thumb.jpg

DrNate    426

That is very cool. How fragile or sturdy do you think this board will be?

duffymahoney    10

I love the shape. Looks like it's a real surf board. Congrats, I love getting new custom boards. It's super fun!

h20fish120    0

That is sooooooo awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!! :good::animier::robo::surfing2::Surfing:

Carter13    69

Right on, look foward to seeing the board when finished.

h20king    794

That is very cool. How fragile or sturdy do you think this board will be?

The boards are fairly durable not as bulletproof as an inland surfer but still durable.My new board will have a carbon stringer to stiffen things up a little.I spent a good amount of time on the regular 5.0 jetty as did a bunch of others at the banks lake gathering and the board left in the same condition it came in.The Board has sharp edges so it transitions edge to edge super fast to generate speed.It is a quad fin but the second set of fins are canted and super short so the board will break lose without much effort The board is super light and only about half as thick as an inland surfer board.I cant wait to get the board I feel like a kid waiting for christmas..................................H

h20king    794

Jeff sent me some more pics.He has been awesome to work with the whole process from design to working with Jeff on my artwork has been so much fun.If you are interested in soulcraft or would like to get a board made for yourself let me know and I will post Jeff's contact info I'm loving watching all the steps that go into a board.........................H

post-777-0-15320600-1312458209_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-00557400-1312458224_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-58891200-1312458240_thumb.jpg

duffymahoney    10

The boards are fairly durable not as bulletproof as an inland surfer but still durable.My new board will have a carbon stringer to stiffen things up a little.I spent a good amount of time on the regular 5.0 jetty as did a bunch of others at the banks lake gathering and the board left in the same condition it came in.The Board has sharp edges so it transitions edge to edge super fast to generate speed.It is a quad fin but the second set of fins are canted and super short so the board will break lose without much effort The board is super light and only about half as thick as an inland surfer board.I cant wait to get the board I feel like a kid waiting for christmas..................................H

A board that is too sturdy will seem lifeless and rigid. You just need to treat them nicely. Here is what I built to protect my custom shred stixx boards. Its just a wakeboard rack with the middle fork cut out and pvc added to the fingers for length and then dakine pads from ebay. All these high end boards need nice soft racks or you will get pressure dings and dents from racks.

Congrats! The board looks sick!

h20king    794

Here are some more in progress pics :clapping::clapping: .These show fin box placement and install.Graphics and glass still to come.I'm sold and don't think I will be buying any more mass produced made in CHINA boards any more.The whole process of working with a shaper to get exactly what you want is to much fun.......................H

post-777-0-09389000-1312551163_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-04100400-1312551183_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-94772700-1312551205_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-55087400-1312551220_thumb.jpg

duffymahoney    10

You went with a twinzer setup. Should be fun. I have never actually rode a twinzer. You will have to let us know how she rides. I also will never buy a china board again. Even my grom boards are hand made here in the USA. Do you get to pick traction?

soulcraft    0

h20- This has been a Very enjoyable build for me, and the fact your so stoked makes it even better..... Thank You...

Duffy- I love those racks.... they are what Surf Racks should be... Good job buddy...

LakeSurfer    10

You went with a twinzer setup. Should be fun. I have never actually rode a twinzer. You will have to let us know how she rides.

that looks like the same set up that is on my Fly Boy. I think it is a great combo if you want to get airs as well as spin the board. My FB goes around on 3's will little effort (granted I have yet to ride one out but I am soooo close). I am with Duffy, I will only be guying USA hand crafted boards. The new IS FB kills me. $850 and its made in Thailand.

H2O/SoulCraft: tried to find a website, but could not. Can you give us some pricing data?

Edited by LakeSurfer

duffymahoney    10

h20- This has been a Very enjoyable build for me, and the fact your so stoked makes it even better..... Thank You...

Duffy- I love those racks.... they are what Surf Racks should be... Good job buddy...

Someone needs to mass produce the racks I made. I have not a single pressure ding or dent:)

h20king    794

Duffy I get to pick everything including the traction if you have a suggestion I'm all ears.Lake I sent Jeff an e-mail and asked him to post or send me pricing and contact info because I never asked what standard board prices were because I wanted custom and the price varies with custom graphics and options like carbon fiber stringers which I ordered.I can tell you my new custom hand shaped made in the USA board cost less than the new made in China flyboy boards.If any of you are interested in soulcraft surf boards send him a PM here on the crew he is a super nice guy and I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.............................H

duffymahoney    10

Traction is a tough one. I don't like anything raised. I think it makes the board have less feel. So on my boards I never do arch bars or kick pads with anything arched. I usually get the whole board covered as much as possible in traction. I shuffle my feet if I need to pump from really far back and still catch the wave. I bet anything you get will be great. They seem to know there stuff.

h20king    794

that looks like the same set up that is on my Fly Boy. I think it is a great combo if you want to get airs as well as spin the board. My FB goes around on 3's will little effort (granted I have yet to ride one out but I am soooo close). I am with Duffy, I will only be guying USA hand crafted boards. The new IS FB kills me. $850 and its made in Thailand.

H2O/SoulCraft: tried to find a website, but could not. Can you give us some pricing data?

Lake I just got an E mail back from Jeff regarding pricing. A stock soulcraft jetty with fins and traction pads is $675 and upgrades are always available.My board cost a little more but worth the extra cost to have a one off.After watching all the work that goes into a board I think the cost is more than fair for a hand shaped board made in the USA......................H