Sign in to follow this  
Dave2

Bad vibration

Dave2    0

I have a 1986 TruTrac 2, velvet drive transmission, with a 351W from a donzi, lots of reinforcing done to hull, runs great. But when getting it out of the hole, and up to speed there is alot of vibration, is this normal? Thanks

Kevin Baugh    78

no it is either not aligned or has bad prop or strut or shaft or all of the above

mojoridin    1

X2

Most likely you have a bent prop. Can you see any dings or little bends in your prop?

bcollins    18

Probably your prop...I had a barely noticeable ding in my prop. While crusing I didn't notice antyhing, loaded it up for surfing and it vibrated like crazy. Got it fixed, no more vibration. Do you notice it when you're not pulling someone?

superdtf    68

Kevin is right. If the prop is struck hard enough to cause that, often the shaft is compromised as well. Sometimes it's even worse, back in the '80's we had a Nautique that we changed the prop, shaft, and strut bearings after we hit something; and it still shook. Turned out the strut was tweaked. Too bad it took two years of screwing around to get to that. By that time half the screws in the windshield had shaken loose. - we're a 100+ hours per year kind of family.