jlancew    0

I have a 2004 Enzo SV230 with sideswipe exhaust. I like the sound of the exhaust...for a while. I have read a couple of posts talking about baffles that are available. Where can the baffles be purchased? I called my local dealer and they had no idea. How well do the baffles work? Is there a better alternative? Thanks for the help.

bprobertson    8

Check out this thread. I don't have them on my boat, but everything that i have read says that they do make a difference although not as much as you would hope.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/2327-got-my-quiet-tips-for-sidesweep-today-confused/page__p__23418__hl__baffles__fromsearch__1#entry23418

Kappsized    1

jlancew,

I have done the baffle mod and would highly recommend it. I took pictures of it and will try to post sometime soon. If you need info sooner, feel free to PM me - only thing is that I'm bad about checking :popo:

-KS

Kappsized    1

Ok, here is my tutorial on modifying the "flapper" style sideswipe baffles with the new welded style!

The part from Fineline: In May 2010, the total cost with shipping and sales tax came to $348.40. The part # is 11301. I got them from http://wawaseemarina.com. The contact at the time was Don Sprauge - service was excellent!

post-84-0-90118300-1308264558_thumb.jpg

You will need a sealant. I used Boatlife clear sealant:

post-84-0-02604200-1308264724_thumb.jpg

You will need a thin, but strong scraper/putty knife as well as some thicker plastic scrapers to act as soft prybars. This pic shows how thin the steel putty knife is:

post-84-0-18534200-1308264902_thumb.jpg

First, move the carpeted covers protecting the sideswipe valves and loosen the worm clamps on the exhaust hose in the locker. You don't need to take the hose out, but wiggle it around to break it loose from the baffle so it will pull out later!

post-84-0-92337300-1308265132_thumb.jpg

Protect the area around the SS with a couple layers of blue painter's tape and remove the four screws:

post-84-0-05412300-1308265312_thumb.jpg

Use the thin scraper to SLOWLY get in between the baffle and the hull. The idea is to "cut" the bond of sealant that adheres and seals the baffle to the hull. Go slowly - patience is your friend:

post-84-0-27450800-1308265556_thumb.jpg

Once you have gotten all the way around, start SLOWLY (are you getting the point!) inserting the plastic scrapers in as wedges to pull the baffle off while protecting the hull. DO NOT use anything that does not spread the load uniformly!

post-84-0-49140700-1308265823_thumb.jpg post-84-0-68467900-1308265851_thumb.jpg

Or you can just contact Shell at Fineline, She has sold them to many of us on the Crew. And yes they do really work, big difference!

sbuchner@finelineind.com

Kappsized    1

Part 2:

Clean off the old residue and sealant. I can't remember what chemical I used, but make sure you remove as much of the old stuff as possible:

post-84-0-46700700-1308266092_thumb.jpg

Get a partner to help guide the baffle into the exhaust hose BEFORE putting the sealant on. Then liberally apply the sealant on the flange:

post-84-0-52720200-1308266122_thumb.jpg

EVENLT tighten (not overtight!) the screws, clean off the excess sealant that comes out as you tightened the screws. Tighten the exhaust clamps, let the sealant cure, and check for leaks at the lake.

Now enjoy a beer and congratulate yourself for being a master mechanic! :cheers:

Before:

post-84-0-43001600-1308266484_thumb.jpg

After:

post-84-0-41339600-1308266239_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Great job Kapp! Very well done "How to".

Interested in what you think of the difference in sound.

Kappsized    1

Thanks for the props :unworthy: I definitely think it is worth it. First, the old baffles would make a clanking noise sometimes at idle. The new baffles have no moving parts, so there is no clanking sound. As some have pointed out, the sound reduction is not huge, but it seems to "re-tune" the noise signature and is noticeably better at wakeboarding and surfing speeds. The only negative is that the cool throaty idle sound at the dock that makes everyone look :respect: when you start is not quite as loud!

Hope this helps,

KS

jlancew    0

That is awesome. Thanks for all the information and how to...just what I was looking for.

MattJ    1

Thanks for posting the pictures and how-to. I was curious what the replacement parts actually looked like and what was involved.

Kappsized    1

Jlancew,

Just wanted to let you know I couldn't email you the pics earlier. I was in Mexico and just got back this morning. For some reason, I could receive emails, but I couldn't send any out. Glad this helps!

KS

Baffles are nice and did a great job reducing the "noise".

Like Kappsized said, you don't get the throaty sound!

I miss the throaty sound at times.

I wish there was a captains call/choice exhaust option.

• Like 1