SpatialAnalyst

Right Exhaust Manifold and Elbow Getting Hot!

Hello all. I have an 02 Elite V Hurricane. My right manifold and exhaust elbow are extremely hot to the touch, however the left one seems to be normal temp. The boat does not over heat when just idling or in gear but tends to overheat when under load or towing speeds. The impeller is intact and seems to be working fine. I replace it every season. I do beach it quite often and I wonder if sand has built up in the manifold or is clogging the thermo? I have yet to take the boat to a dealer and I can usually work through things myself. Any help is appreciated.

cyber104    0

Hi:

This sure sounds like a manifold that has been clogged by something. On the Chesapeake where I boat this happens all the time but ours usually clog with mud. You may be right - yours may be clogged with sand.

Another possibility (less likely) is that a piece of the pump impeller has made its way into the hose that supplies the manifold with water or into the manifold itself.

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with the configuration of your engine. I'm guessing that there is a hose leaving the thermostat housing and supplying water to the manifold. My first plan of action would be pull that hose loose from the manifold, stick it in a bucket and run the engine. If you have a good supply of water then you know your issue is downstream.

Give this a try and report back.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thanks, Cyber....I'm thinking thats a good possibility I did have an impeller shred last season and I lost a couple pieces in there somewere :wallbash:

I also notice the hot exhaust coming out of that side as white smoke. My wife and I will begin troubleshooting very soon. It may be a few weeks because of some other planned activities but I will report back what I find for others' benefit. Thanks again!

Chevy will run hotter on the odd side

dont know why but they do

risers and manis should be checked every 2 years

h20king    794

wrong again problem is a cracked block................H

wrong again problem is a cracked block................H

YEA i know that

i was talking in gerneral

Kyle    0

When I purchased my boat it kept overheating on the starboard side too. I finally removed the exhaust riser and found the riser to be full of scale from not being flushed after use. I cleaned it out and ended up with a 3lb coffee can full of the stuff. after said and done, my fuel pump was fried too, probably from the overheating. Runs good now. Sorry for the poor quality, it was a cell phone camera. post-835-0-30139400-1305341795_thumb.jpgpost-835-0-34633200-1305341806_thumb.jpg

islander033    2

When I purchased my boat it kept overheating on the starboard side too. I finally removed the exhaust riser and found the riser to be full of scale from not being flushed after use. I cleaned it out and ended up with a 3lb coffee can full of the stuff. after said and done, my fuel pump was fried too, probably from the overheating. Runs good now. Sorry for the poor quality, it was a cell phone camera. post-835-0-30139400-1305341795_thumb.jpgpost-835-0-34633200-1305341806_thumb.jpg

Wow!

That is some crazy scale Kyle.

Kyle, were you able to get the manifold to drain through the plug before you cleaned it out?

Wow!

That is some crazy scale Kyle.