Carter13

Traeger Pellet Grill

First timer    19

I cooked these last night. Gartner's cross cut pork and beef ribs.

post-2466-0-38272400-1308618290_thumb.jpg

h20king    794

I like the apple pellets the best. I love cooking racks of pork ribs on my traeger. Peal the thin layer of like skin tissue off the back, get a good pork rub and rub both sides of the ribs. Then mix two bottles of bullseye bbq sauce and a bottle of cholula hot sauce together and smother the ribs. Cook on high about 15 minutes on one side then about 10 on the other, again smearing the sauce on the ribs. For the guys in the Portland, OR area Gartner's out off of Killingsworth is the best meat market around.

Sorry Bro the best meat market is Whites meats in Gresham where Burnside turns into highway 26

First timer    19

Well we will to do a taste test. :thumbsup: The traeger will be coming along on the camping trips this year.

Carter13    69

What happened to the Traeger love, nobody's cooked the last few weeks? I use to salivate reading this thread, and now I finally get to join in. My wonderful wife got me the Junior Traeger for Father's day, just got to get it put together and its on like Donkey Kong.

Carter, what should I do first? Also, what wood pellets does everyone like the most?

Zetchvp,

Welcome to the darkside. The Junior is a great grill and you are in for some serious eats. If you have not bought a digital 180 thermostat you will need to ASAP. You are gunna get 30 degree swings but they can be reduced with adjusting your P setting.

I vote for you to buy a twin pack of fresh tri tip from Costco for your first cook, you won't be sorry. Apply honey mustard as a glue, add your rub lightly, pull at 155 IT, foil and let rest for 20 minutes before cutting.

I mainly run hickory pellets but sometimes I also mix in apple with them. Most guys are soley running Hickory. I burn Bear Mountain pellets that I get for $9.89 for a 20 lb. bag from Cash and Carry down the street from my work.

Be sure and post up pics of your cooks. :cheers:

Edited by Carter13

Carter13    69

Well I cooked baby backs and my wife put together some more ckicken kabobs for our friends here at Coos Bay.

I got a OMG on the ribs from one gal and another dude ate the kabob like it was candy. :thumbsup:

I think our Jr will be going with us for most of the camping trips from now on.

Carter13    69

I forgot to mention we are dry camping and I ran the Jr off of our portable Honda 2000 generator. No problems running it at all, in fact the power draw is minimal even when the auger comes on.

Carter13    69

Well it has been a while since I have posted. I am on vacation and decided to cook a breakfast fattie this morning for the first time.

It is made of bacon, sausage, grilled onions, scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese. Cooking tri tip for dinner tonight.

Jeremy    2

Burning my new trager now. Impulse buy from Costco thanks to seeing all the good food in this thread:) It came with the 180 deg temperature controller.

Carter13    69

Jeremy,

Congrats and let the smoking commence. After a year going full steam I am still reading and learning about BBQ on a daily basis.

So did you pick up a lil tex elite? I purchased a new grill which will be in my hands in a few weeks. :guitar:

Jeremy    2

I bought the 36" model. The rep suggested to start with some chicken from Costco. They turned out great.

IMG_7174.jpg

Jeremy    2

Cooked this pork shoulder for ten hours today:)

IMG_7186.jpg

Carter13    69

It has been a while since I posted some of my cooks. I sold my Traeger to a guy at work and upgraded in November last year to a Mak 1 Star General that is made here in Dallas Oregon out of 100% American made parts. Just trying to support our local companies. :thumbsup:

Yesterday I prepped and marinated some chicken tenderloins for 24 hours and before putting on the smoker tonight, covered them with Weber N'Orleans rub.

I chopped up a half of a sweet onion and cooked it in EVOO. When translutent I added a full jar of Bertolli alfredo sauce and a half jar of Bertolli spegetti sauce to make what is known as a blush sauce. I also added lime juice, garlic powder and some fresh cracked pepper. Lastly I added half of the chicken to the sauce.

Here is my plate that I ate. I did not have any bread and chowed down another quarter plate. I am taking the rest to work tomorrow for lunch.

I will cook the rest of the sweet onion and a red pepper and add this chicken to make fajitas tomorrow night for dinner. Also making some Rosarito beans with it.

I am still eating good in the neighborhood.