Carter13

Traeger Pellet Grill

Carter13    69

I bought a Traeger Junior pellet grill yesterday at Costco. I have been wanting one for a year now and finally pulled the trigger on it.

NASA we have ignition

I used Emerils chicken rub with a teaspoon of sugar added to the rub. I used hickory pellets to cook. I am going to search the web for dry rubs for beef and chicken.

I was bummed that I did not buy a tenderloin or any kind of beef for today but I did not plan on cooking with the grill and this was sparked by my inlaws calling and coming by.

Traeger makes a tailgater attachment for the bottom so you can take off the legs and place it on any kind of table. I plan on purchasing it and taking the grill with us on our camping trips to cook some outrageous tasty meat. I am sure people in the campground are going to be asking themselves where is that mouth wattering smell coming from. :unworthy:

BTW the chicken turned out pretty darn tasty for my first time.

Edited by Carter13

h20king    794

sweet we love B-BQ and are planeing to make at least one trip with you to the snake this next season............H

We have two Traegers and a big green egg. The traeger makes the best ribs brisket and pork butt. It is great for a day of boating. Put your grub on, set the temp, then hit the waves.

Put your ribs on the lowest setting for three hours. Then crank it up a click and wrap the ribs for another two hours. EMMMMMMMMMMM EMMM GOOOOOTTTT!

h20king    794

yep they are sweet just another fine company from the north west along with EXILE,Samson,and wakemakers to name a few

WakeDoc    471

Good grill, have thought about one but, would feel like I was cheating on the current smoker... :unworthy:

Carter13    69
sweet we love B-BQ and are planeing to make at least one trip with you to the snake this next season............H

Sounds good. I am hoping to have this sucker fine tuned by then. I am going to buy a digital thermostat for it so I can keep the temp from fluctuating so much.

Sounds good. I am hoping to have this sucker fine tuned by then. I am going to buy a digital thermostat for it so I can keep the temp from fluctuating so much.

you need the 180 degree thermometer. it is an option. it is a must.

Carter13    69

I installed the digital remote on my Traeger and it is spot on.

I used a cordless thermometer and it worked perfect.

Here is a pic of the Tri Tip that I cooked with only a dry rub and it was the best chunk of meat that I have ever tasted EVER. I am telling you guys pellet cooking is the BOMB. :yahoo:

duramat    462

Dang that looks GOOD :yahoo:

I'm thinking I may need to look at one of these grills, you've got me drooling over your pics bro

Kyle    0

Went and looked at one last week. I added it to my xmas list. But ranked the ballast set up ahead of it.

Carter13    69

I did a pork shoulder yesterday. :thumbsup:

Pulled baby.

This mornings breakfast. :thumbsup:

h20king    794

that looks so good hope you make the gathering if so I'm buying breakfast at your camp...... LOL

rick9021    0

We've done lots on our Traeger but by far the pork shoulder is the greatest!!! We will do 3-4 at a time and freeze the leftovers, they are fabulous when warmed up. Another must try is a Filet Mignon, seared for a bout one minute on each side at 400 then down to 250 for about 35-45 minutes, or until your desired doneness. Mouth watering good!!!!

Carter13    69

H,

Hopefully we can make it there. If so I will hook you up for free, well maybe trade a few beers for breakfast. As the song goes, It's 5'oclock somewhere. :thumbsup:

In all honesty this was by far the most kick arse tasting pork. it was moist, unbeliveably tasty and soooooo tender.

Rick,

It was an 8 lb. pork shoulder and after all was said and done I ended up with about 5 lbs. of cooked meat and vacuum packed 4 lbs. of it and placed it in the freezer. I plan on cooking two at a time in the future since my Jr does not have room for more.

I fixed a BBQ pulled pork pizza tonight. I used BBQ sauce and mixed in garlic salt and red peppers, as a base to the shell before the toppings were placed. It was actually better than any gormet pizza that I have ever had for real. Hopefully I don't gain 20+ lbs over the winter eating this good stuff.

duramat    462

Curse you Carter! Once again, im salivating over your pics. Where did you pick yours up at?? I just found a dealer locally, I'm gonna check em out Monday. What am I looking at $ wise?

Carter13    69
Curse you Carter! Once again, im salivating over your pics. Where did you pick yours up at?? I just found a dealer locally, I'm gonna check em out Monday. What am I looking at $ wise?

Duramat,

I actually got it a Costco when they were having a road show. I got a Junior for $300 and they retail for $400 although I saw one for sale at Parr lumber near my house for $368.

I did have to install the digital thermostat and I picked it up for $76 shipped off of ebay from a private seller. There are a few guys at my work that have had the digital thermostats go out and got them replaced for free because they bought them from Traeger. I saved $40 not buying directly from Traeger but I am SOL if it goes out on me. A Lil Tex will run you about $650 ish, but you still need to replace the thermostat which sucks for that price.

I have been doing a bunch of research and a lot of guys are using the MAK 2 Star General that is made in Dallas Oregon. I would love one but they are $1800 delivered to your door and my wife would kick me in the head if I asked for one. Maybe I can get one a few years down the road. They just came out with a 1 Star General that is $1200 delivered that is not a bad deal for what you get.

The problem with Traeger is they have some big temp swings. I cooked the pork shoulder at 225 but it would go as high as 253 which is just too much of a swing, although it did not effect the outcome because of all the fat. The last time I cooked at 225 it only had a 10 degree swing. I really am not sure why it is not consistant but for the price I am not complaining.

If you do get a pellet stove no matter what brand you will not be disappointed. The pictures DO NOT do justice to how good it tastes.

Check these sites out for grill information and recipes. http://www.pelletsmoking.com/forum.php http://pelletheads.com/

WakeDoc    471

I'm not clicking on this thread any more unless I have just finished eating.