Boo3636    2

Ok, I was at the lake on Saturday. I put the boat in and I had about 200 yards of no wake zone. I get out to the end and curise to what is called "still island" to do some boarding. I put my 6 year old son in the water, got the rope out and take off. I get up to about 19 MPH and my boat starts cutting out bad. I am looking at the speed and it is going from 19 to 17, and almost feels like it is going to die, but then goes right back up. This continued for a while, until I finally stopped. I limped it back to my truck and tailered it. I took it to the shop the next day and the guy tells me it sounds like it is the water fuel separator, and I can easily change that myself. So I changed it. I went back out on Sunday and it was still doing it. I called him back and he said it was probably the in line fuel filter then. I changed that too, but I am scared to take it back out there becasue I dont want to cause more damage. He said as long as it wasnt giving me the buzzer it would not hurt it.

Two questions: first does this sound like something other than a fuel filter problem, and two do I need a new mechanic? I have a 2005 Lightening C4 with 130 hours. I have the Mercruiser 350 scorpion 330 hp.

Big Po    1

have you done a tune-up lately? New plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, etc...?

Boo3636    2
got a case of bad gas?

That is what I thought it could be. Would that cause it to cut out that much? I really initially thought that is what it was.

No I havent had it tuned up, I didnt think with 130 hours it could possibly be bad plugs or wires. They still look brand new.

Edited by Boo3636

Kevin Baugh    78

but you could need a cap and rotor mine did around then ad would cut out

pull the cap off and look for green icicles

You could also have water in the gas pull off the waer seperator filter and poor it in a glass

you will be able to see the water

fastjohnny    0

x 2 or 3 on the cap/rotor. I changed mine at the beginning of summer. Had some hard starting late this season. Checked cap/rotor, it was suprisingly corroded again. Quick work with a nail file and back in business.

Another thought is you might be experiencing "vapor lock". Just a thought, cause it sounds like it only does it once the motor heats up.

Boo3636    2

Well looks like you guys were right. I had a crack in the cap, and that was the problem. thanks

Big Po    1

Glad to hear you got her fixed up and running good.