Sign in to follow this  
Sloner3020

Starting Boat After Winterized?

Sloner3020    0

I have a question in regards to any tips to starting your boat after being winterized? I have never had my boat winterized as it has always been in Phoenix and there has never been a need to! Now I am a bit nervous as to how hard it is to start after this process has taken place. I don't want to invite a bunch of people out to the lake only to burn up 3 batteries trying to "get er" to turnover :thumbup: . Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2002 elite v

Thanks again in advance guys/gals.

As long as all the hoses were reinstalled correctly and your impeller was changed or lubed then all you have to do it fire it off! Be sure to check the the oil level before you start it, ya never know!!

Start it at home before you go to the lake with a fake a lake so you can check for leaks, if you dont have one you can use a water hose in the raw water intake hose. If you dont want to do that then while it is still on the trailer at the boat ramp, fire it up and look for leaks. you may need a flash light to see the botom hoses.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Sloner3020    0

I actually had it done professionally. Being that I am lacking in the mechanical department I figured it would be better to "pay the guy"...

duramat    462

Put the batteries on a charger and make sure theyre charged/will hold a charge. My batts are a few years old and Im thinking on just replacing them with new ones next time Im home. Peace of mind

Sloner3020    0

That sounds good guys. I appreciate it! I had to replace the impellar at the end of last year so hopefully that won't give me any issues... Locked up on me as the sun was setting out in the middle of the lake. Had to paddle/swim it in for about an hour until someone finally helped me. Talk about losing your buzz!!

I appreciate the tips guys.

Joe B    17

Should just be charge the batteries, put the hull drain plugs in, put it in the water and let it float on the trailer and check around the engine for leaks. Hit your ballast pump while floating on the trailer. I had some cracked threads on my ballast strainer 2 years ago that shot water everywhere.

If a leak, pull the boat back onto dry land, quick! lol

You could always call who winterized the boat and ask if anything special needs to be done. But if you don't have a bag of engine block drain plugs, I'd think you're good to go. You can also verify that they used environment friendly antifreeze so you can do this in the lake, if not you have to have it de-winterized and never use that shop again.

Bongo Fury    640
I actually had it done professionally. Being that I am lacking in the mechanical department I figured it would be better to "pay the guy"...

Although this site has inspired me to try to do more, I am also “mechanically challenged”. I have my boat professionally Winterized before it goes into storage. I’m taking it out of storage this Saturday and will bring it to the dealer and for around $50.00 they will Summerize (charge batteries, check hoses and fluids, etc.. fire it up). It is just peace of mind for me that when I put it in the lake Saturday afternoon, we are good to go.

Sloner3020    0

Good information! This Saturday will be my first day on the lake this year as well. Will keep you all posted on how it turns out!

Thanks again for all the help!

MANDC    0

I do same as Bongo