Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Gleadhill

Ballast Options; yes another thread

Question for the crew.

I am still mulling over integrated ballast options but think, at a minimum, I will plumb in two rear bags this spring. I was thinking of making phase one as easy as possible therefore trying to use the existing water inlet.

Can anyone foresee any issues with adding a T (really a +) into this inlet which is currently only supplying my center ballast? Keeping the existing pumb to the center tank but adding the Ts to supply the rear starboard and port bags.

The other question is would there be an issue if I used reversible pumps? I ask as the current center ballast does not have a reversible set up and would the water back flowing cause an issue with the existing center ballast puppy?

Here is the pic.

Thanks in advance.

T

post-533-1270483811_thumb.jpg

WakeDoc    471

T-ing off should not me an issue, our last boat only had one thru hull and had plenty of flow. I still feel that having 2 ballast puppies feeding one manifold that distributes that water to the different ballast sacs/tanks and having aerator style pumps to drain is the best and cheapest solution. This also gives you the ability to always fill with both pumps, making filling faster and drain with around 1000 gph give or take pumps, letting you fill one side while draining the other.

Lafork    0

I am thinking of doing almost the exact same thing since I have the same factory setup right now (only a small center ballast) but I was only going to add one bag in the regular foot corner. I was going to keep it real simple by just teeing in after the ex. pump and have this pump fill the ex. center ballast and one rear sac. Then I was thinking of adding another discharge pump to the new rear sac or simply change the ex. pump to drain both the ex. center ballast and new sac. BTW have you ever tried to remove the ex. discharge pump from the ex. center tank? I think mine is done and needs to be replaced since it will not drain the tank. I tried twisting it off the other day but it will not spin. It almost looks like it want to snap or pop on or off but I have not tried that yet.

islander033    2
....BTW have you ever tried to remove the ex. discharge pump from the ex. center tank? I think mine is done and needs to be replaced since it will not drain the tank. I tried twisting it off the other day but it will not spin. It almost looks like it want to snap or pop on or off but I have not tried that yet.

I just pulled the starboard mid tank the other day. I was able to twist the attached pump ~90degrees and then take the screws out of the bottom. Once that was apart I finished unscrewing the rest of the pump from the tank.

BTW. did you just buy that Avy recently or are you the guy trying to sell it still?

Wiggles    2

I did this and actually put in two T's into the intake line for the stock ctr ballast tank, with two ball valves after them and one valve after the T's and before the tank, so I can close off the one to the stock tank and then select which rear locker sac i want to fill by opening one or or the other coming off the T. I now just have to figure out a way that i can drain them out without using having to use my plug in electric hand held pump.... I'd like to eventually have them all on switches and there own separate pumps to fill and empty.... but still working on that, its a work in progress I guess you could say.... once I take the boat out of storage i'll throw a couple pics up, how my system is now I think I paid roughly 100 for the hose and t's and valves...

Craig

Edited by Wiggles

Lafork    0

Yes that is me on Kijiji trying to sell it. I was thinking of selling it and upgrading but after being to the boat show and seeing some of the prices for new ones I think I am going to keep this one for a little while longer. It was a great deal on a new boat from the US but those deals seem to be a lot tougher to find now...even with the Loonie at par.

Lafork    0

Islander033, I am guessing that is your 07 Elite V for sale in Sylvan Lake as well?

islander033    2
Islander033, I am guessing that is your 07 Elite V for sale in Sylvan Lake as well?

That is mine for sure. A deal is currently pending on mine.

Foiler    1

A tee would be fine, or even a couple because that 1 inch hole would easily supply 3 pumps like you have, probably wouldn't even be a restriction for 4 pumps. It will flow over 3000 gallons per hour but when you start putting in a bunch of Tee's, fittings and bends then the flow will be reduced but should still exceed the capacity of 4 water puppies.

Thank you all for the feedback.

So no one sees an issue with Ting off which is great but what if I use reversible pumps? Would the back flow of water introduce any issues with the existing one way ballast puppy pump for the cetner ballast? I kind of assume not as there is always water trying to flow through the pump which supplies the center ballast when the boat is in the water.

Thoughts?

T

Joe B    17

Trevor: if you want to take the drain pump off the Avy center tank you must remove the center tank so you can spin the pump off. Remove the floor, then 'L' brackets holding it down, pop up the tank a few inches and spin off the pump.

I'm not sure about the reversible pump, but if you go the route of a 2nd bag, you can put a "Y" valve with check valve so you can have a discharge using the other sac's vent line. This would accomplish the same feat as a reversible pump.

i have one ballast puppy and 3 sprinkler valves, one going to each of my 3 tanks.

then i have 3 empty pumps that each go to the side of the boat.

came on the avy stock, but seems like a pretty straight forward install.

its all automatic, which is nice when youre driving or just chilling at lunch.

trevor: wiggles seems to have the idea for getting the water in.

but getting the water out needs some work.

anyone know the easiest way to get the water out?

im guessing a reversable pump would work, and just opening the valves that you want to be empty.

but that means you can only empty and not fill at the same time, and visa versa.

or you can + from your center tank empty and have it go to all of your other sacs.

then you dont have to worry about adding a reversable pump. you would still need the valves so you can choose what to empty and fill.

but im pretty sure you could empty and fill at the same time.

Edited by Avy c4 surfer