Sign in to follow this  
Totalperformance

Question about the boat trailer

1. I see that most do not have a safety chain attached to the trailer and the boat - isn't that a requirement?

2. how do the trailer brakes work? Mine has brake fluid at the tonge.

3. when I swing the tonge to the side, the brake hose is really tight so that can't be good for it.

Thanks

Foiler    1

I don't have a chain. I don't think it is a requirement but possibly in some states?

The trailer has surge brakes so when you start stopping the weight of the boat starts coming forward and pushing on the tongue which is simular to pushing on a brake pedal. If you notice the end of the tongue slides in and out on the trailer. You should have a an extra wire that overrides the surge brake when you put it in reverse and try and back up, especially up a hill because if you don't then the brakes will apply then too.

WakeDoc    471
1. I see that most do not have a safety chain attached to the trailer and the boat - isn't that a requirement?

I have always run with a safty chain attaching the boat to the trailer and rear rachet style tie down straps. When we were involved in a accident recently it happens that i had taken the saftey chain to take some pictures (didn't look very nice), the boat came off the trailer, sheared the front strap, straightened the rear tie down hooks when the boat came off the trailer. I feel that if the boat was still attached with a safty chain the boat would have been waging like a tail off of the side of the trailer and would have made the accident much worst than it was. So after the accident I am not sure if we will use one in the future when towing. If you have rear straps and the bow strap I believe you will be ok in every day towing.

enzo101mo    98

Always be careful when swinging the tongue back into position for towing. I was in a hurry to go up to the lake one Friday night and thought my truck was having problems pulling my boat. I drove about 1 1/2 hours to the lake when I smelled something burning. I got out of my truck and saw that the brake drums were smoking. I then saw that one tire was thrashed and I unhitched the trailer. I then looked at the tongue and the brake hose was pinched at the joint making the brakes apply. :rofl:

Both brake drums were ruined, pads had came apart and had to replace two tires. Thanks to the mechanic at Boat Doc came out Saturday morning with new everything and was able to injoy the weekend boating.

So as a lesson when ever I swing the tongue for towing I watch that hose for clearance. :rofl:

Always be careful when swinging the tongue back into position for towing. I was in a hurry to go up to the lake one Friday night and thought my truck was having problems pulling my boat. I drove about 1 1/2 hours to the lake when I smelled something burning. I got out of my truck and saw that the brake drums were smoking. I then saw that one tire was thrashed and I unhitched the trailer. I then looked at the tongue and the brake hose was pinched at the joint making the brakes apply. :rofl:

Both brake drums were ruined, pads had came apart and had to replace two tires. Thanks to the mechanic at Boat Doc came out Saturday morning with new everything and was able to injoy the weekend boating.

So as a lesson when ever I swing the tongue for towing I watch that hose for clearance. :rofl:

That suck man and thanks for the heads up.

When you swing the tonge in towards the trailer, is the brake line tight? Mine is really tight and there is no slack left at that position.

enzo101mo    98

Totalperformance: I never real notice if it does, but maybe I have alittle to much slack that maybe why I pinched it

HOOGE    0

IN CANADA ANY TRAILER HITCHED BY A BALL MUST BE CHAINED. IF ITS A BUMPER PULL TRAILER THE CHAINS MUST BE CROSSED ONCE SO IF THE TRAILER DETACHES IT WILL CRADEL IN THE CROSS OF THE CHAINS INSTEAD OF DIGGING INTO THE ROAD. AS FOR YOUR INERTIA BRAKES ON YOUR TRAILOR THEY CAN BE A REAL PAIN IN THE tush WHEN BACKING UP. IF YOU GO TO ANY AUTOMOTIVE STORE YOU CAN BY A LINE LOCKER AND A 4 TO 7 PRONG ADAPTER FOR YOUR TRAILOR LIGHTS. MOST TRUCKS HAVE THIS TYPE OF HOOK UP FROM FACTORY. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND OUT WHAT PRONG VOLTS UP WHEN YOU PUT YOU TRUCK INTO REVERSE AND HOOK IT TO THE LINE LOCKER. NOW WHEN EVER YOU BACK UP YOU WONT HAVE TO PUT THAT KEY INTO THE SLIDER, THE LINE LOCKER WILL PREVENT FLUID FROM OPERATING YOUR BRAKES. I KNOW YOU DIDNT ASK ABOUT THIS BUT ITS A GREAT THING TO DO, AND WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF SWEARING!!!

AS FOR YOUR TIGHT LINES, THAT SUCKS! MINE DOESNT DO THAT. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON IT BECAUSE IT WILL EVENTUALLY START LEAKING. MY ADVICE, PUT LONGER LINES ON, IT WOULD ONLY COST ABOUT 20 BUCKS TO DO IT AND TO ME THAT WORTH PEACE OF MIND! GOOD LUCK

ILrider    0

I don't think he was asking about the safety chains from the trailer to the truck. I think he's asking about using a chain in addition to the bow strap from the boat to the trailer, I think.

I would hope that everyone uses the safety chains between the truck and trailer. I think that's the law everywhere for obvious safety reasons. On the otherhand I don't think there is any requirement for having the boat chained to the trailer. When hauling a load he load must be "properly secured" which the factory transom straps and bow straps must do a good enough job doing.