Sign in to follow this  
kmoney

Is ethanol gas bad for my boat?

kmoney    2

Is ethanol gas bad for my boat? Do I need to buy a higher grade gas to put in to make up for this? I can't find gas that doesn't contain 10% anywhere nearby. Just want some opinions. Either way ethanol gas was a terrible idea.

David    0

I would check your owner’s manual. I think most the newer boats can run with 10% ethanol with out any problems. I normally just use premium gas with 10% ethanol. If the boat is going to sit for a week or two I will add some fuel treatment like Sta-bill. I know of only one station in my town that sell ethanol free and its about a dollar more a gallon.

Edited by David

Kyle    0

When ethanol first came out, I had heard that it would create sludge in the fuel tank. I had my Sea Ray then and the Sea Ray manual said not to use it. Evidently it is not kind to the poly tanks.

I do use it, since I can no longer find anyplace that sells gas without it. Maybe marine grade fuel?

Troy    234

In our 94 Four Winns I used Star-Tron constantly also to counter act the ethanol. If I remember correctly the manual for our Avalanche said 10% ethanol is ok. I will add the Star-Tron to the fuel for winter storage.

h20king    794

on older boats ethanol would break down the fuel hose and plastic fuel tank new boats are made with ethanol in mind you have nothing to worry about>I also sugest you only use fuel stabilizer when boat is going to be laid up for some time