Sign in to follow this  
jaxcenturion

Enzo Sac

Oldwakedude    0
All of my empty aerator pumps (mayfair 1000 gph) are on spring loaded check valves and all work great. All the fill pumps are on swing type. The brand I have now has a tension spring and I can set the psi they trip at. Right now it's around 2 psi. They work great for me, but I do know they cut down on some of my flow rate. I have vents for all my sacs because somehow the aerator pumps put air into the sac. I never understood how. My boat is left in a marina 4 months a year and everytime my sac fills up it has air in it.

I thought of putting electric valves in on the empty lines so that my flow wouldn't be as restricted. But to honest it doesn't take long. I am doing the whole surf tab thing, coupled with a wakeplate that is angled more up. I plan on using only the surf tabs to bring the nose down a little, if that doesn't work I may put cool custom starboard bow sac and port bow sac.

It would be interesting to see a test of various aerator style pumps in different plumbing configurations (check valves, hose diameters, hose lengths, etc). Maybe if Show gets really bored he could take it on :thumbup: . If I get really really bored maybe I'll work on it, good excuse to buy a bunch of pumps :book: .

I would think that to correct a bow rise issue it would be a lot better to use bow sacs than the trim tab. The trim tab is counter productive as it lifts the stern to push the bow down, hence a smaller wake :thumbdown: . A bow sac will weight down the bow and should reduce the bow rise as well as increase displacement to increase the wake size :Surfing: .

Edited by Oldwakedude

besides the tape idea, how do you prevent all that water coming in the boat and getting the motor wet?

Oldwakedude    0
besides the tape idea, how do you prevent all that water coming in the boat and getting the motor wet?

where is the water coming from besides the vent?

Before I slam mine, I put tape over the vents to keep water out. It works and the motor does not get wet either.

LakeSurfer    10

I am actually surprised you are taking that much water in the vent if you are just filling up the Enzo sac. I run my Avy (and the Enzo I ride every once and a while) at the rub rail or just below (which takes and Enzo sac plus weight and people on the seats). I still tape the vent, but even when I dont we dont take that much water in.

Are you taking the water in the vent while you are surfing or when you are turning the boat around to pick up the surfer?

Edited by LakeSurfer

It is sounding like the tape thing is the easiest....When I fill my enzo sac as full as it will get (which is prob 2/3 maybe) the rub rail is under the water probably 3-4 inches. the rear corner of the swim deck is under the water prob 8-10 inches and all the water comes in through that vent...The water level is probably 1/2''under that vent...it does take a little time to get the motor wet enough where the belt makes noise, but a lot of water does come in that vent and run through the vent tube back onto the motor

duffymahoney    10

Oldwakedude,

Would you let me konw if any of these theories are sound? Sorry off subject:)

Wake surf tab theories:

My boat is an avy and it's super sensitive to weight. Even a 150 pound person can make my wave wash out a little. That person will not affect wave size as much but make it wash out. The boat will actually list less with one person moving! My ultimate plan is to fill the port avy sac full(1500#) pounds, center tank (250#) and fill the starboard avy sac about (500#) or so. I have never counter filled the starboard avy sac before, again because even a person can wash the wave. So now my boat is displacing more water correct? Then I will use the starboard wakesurf tab to cause a little list (hopefully displacing the 500# staboard avy sac, and cleaning up the port wave) and also bringing the port nose down slightly. My theory is to displace more water and keep the wave clean. I have a bow sac now, but I only need it full if my boat is full 10+ people and running lots of weight.

Wake plate theories:

I have tried 3 different plates and a few different angles, and I can say this, the wake plate angle to the transom makes a huge huge impact on wave size and height. My new theory is to change the wakeplate from roughy 80 degrees from the transom to roughly 60 or less degrees. My theory is this will increase bow rise, and also increase displacement of the whole transom. Then engage the starboard surf tab, and that shouldn't bring the whole transom out of water like the wakeplate? It should mostly affect the starboard transom, bringing it out of the water, causing list, and also causing the port nose down thus making a larger cleaner wave. I am also hopeful that the boat will be less tipsy.

Seperate Bow sacs or side sacs:

I have 2 side sacs now and I will install them in the bow under the seats. They are 12x12x48 and weight #250. I think I will tie them in and when I am setup to surf the port side I will fill the just the port sac, causing slight list and also slightly bringing down the nose?

Does any of this make any sense? I have already bought everything so I guess it's going to happen now matter what:) I also love to tinker, I guess you most likely know that from the hundreds of posts on here.

Surfs up

Duffy

Joe B    17

Yep, full enzo sac and some bow weight on an Enzo 23 and we would occasionally take water in the vent. Either tape it or work your bilge pump. One day we were surfing glass with a fully loaded enzo and figured out with about an inch to go that the bilge was toast. We all sat on the opposite side of teh boat and un hooked the opposite ballast intake (closing the valve first) and using it as our bilge pump. It would fill the opposite sac and we'd pump it out almost immediately. This way we still rode all day. SOmething to keep in mind if you ever blow your bilge.

My Avy takes a bunch more weight before water in the vent. I eventually have the problem and have an extra bilge pump in the trunk of my car I may someday get around to installing for peace of mind.

Somebody I know made a rubber gasket and put it under the vent and permantenly sealed up the vent on his Avy. Something to think about.

Packrat    13

Hey Joe B are you talking about the vents on the side of the boat ie the ones that look like a mesh or are you talking about the vents on the transom ie the steps.

Thanks

Packrat

Bigshow    0

On my third or fourth outing with the Mighty Enzo we had too much weight in the back of the boat. We took on a lot of water in the rear side vent. Water got on to the serpentine belt and got all over the engine compartment. All that water killed my perfect pass. The guys at perfect pass were awesome, they sent a new servo free of charge.

To be honest with that set up the engine was struggling to get the boat on plane and the surf wave was tall, steep, and short. I get a much better wave with weight distributed relatively evenly from the port stern to just behind the windshield.

I think that taping the vents is a kind of poor idea. I occasionally get a little water in the vent especially when the boat driver turns the wrong way to pick up riders. It’s never a problem when I drive.

Enzomatic    1

I have done the same thing as Show, only I am on my third perfect pass servo. I ended up closing the port side vent by taking the spacers out of it and bolting the plate snug to the transom. The older Enzo's did not have these vents anyways. Now what do I use to get the hard water deposits off my manifold?

Thanks for the tip on running the drain line to the opposite side of the boat. I have been using a big loop in the line to hydro lock it, and it works for the most part, untill you leave the pump on too long. Then there was no stopping it. I can't wait to replumb it!