Chris O    15

Not sure the best place to put this, but I will use this as a place to show projects, upgrades, learning about the boat, ask questions, maint., have conversation, etc.

And possibly help others in a similar situation as I try and figure everything out.

Introduced the boat up in the show us your boat thread.

Got a 12 x 30 metal carport installed last week for storage, so thats a win.

Ordered a Acme 1619 from wakemakers and they had it to me in literally a day.  Also got a prop knocker to remove old prop.  Was struggling with the prop knocker, zero movement.  Sucked it up and ordered a c clamp puller from Bakes (wakemakers was out).  Ended up having to beat on the back of the puller a fair amount, but eventually prop came loose.  Prop mustve been on there for quite awhile.  Kinda surprising old prop was Acme 817 that I will use as a spare.  Surprising because boat came equipped with bags to get boat pretty heavily weighted, I assumed they wouldve been running little more surf friendly prop.  Anyway got new prop installed super easy, torqued to 40lbs, and now just gotta wait for another nice lake day to test it out.  

Paper test fit pieces and mylar from gator step showed up in the mail, so will be tackling that very soon.

:Rockon:

• Like 1

Chris O    15

Able to check another small item off the list last night.

Was having trouble getting the oil changed, no matter what I tried couldnt get the siphon tube down the dip stick tube.

Finally figured out that the threads at the top of the dipstick fit a garden hose.

Heres what I came up with, couple pumps and the oil started flowing.

And after changing the filter a remote filter looks really appealing.  Man what a pain.  Used a couple plastic bags and was able to catch all the oil though, so no mess.

20210404_111109.jpg

20210420_192703.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Zack D    0

Hey Chris how did the Gator Step template end up working out? I have a 2007 (same boat) and want to do this but would love to see it done on someone else boat. Looks easy enough to install but let me know.

Chris O    15

Zack- gator step sent me the paper test fit for the whole floor and I was able to check it this weekend.  Everything fit great, only adjustment that will need to be made is the location of cutouts for the screws in the floor for the under floor access.  Also templated out in mylar the bow area and the upper deck and transom areas.  I'll keep you updated on the process.

My boat has got a wood swim step which I was initially bummed out on, but its growing on me.  It has been well taken care of and the topside looks great, however the bottom side looked like it had never been touched.  Anyway I took it off and oiled it all up.  Mixed 80% boiled linseed oil and 20% mineral spirits.  I put on several coats and let it dry in between.  Wood was pretty thirsty, and soaked it right up.  I was happy with the results.

20210423_135301.jpg

20210423_170647.jpg

Chris O    15

Another little project checked off the list.  Got cheap scrap pieces from the steel outlet and made these up.  Used square tubing.  Cost about a grand total of $20.  I like how it turned out.  Made it to the lake Saturday.  Was too cold to get in the water, but its getting close, probably next time we make it out.

20210430_163800.jpg

20210501_081923.jpg

20210501_084129.jpg

Chris O    15

Well its been going well,  been having a great summer, got surfing and weighting the boat all figured out, really just starting to feel it.  Even got people asking what I'm doing cause its such a great wave.

Till last weekend.

Hit a rock while going 4-5 mph.

Was hoping it was gonna just be a new prop, but once I got home and took it off was bummed to see the shaft support is not perfectly straight.  Its barely bent but know it'll mean a new shaft and shaft support at minimum.  I've been to sick to my stomach to look into what all this will involve.  If I can fix myself or have to go to a dealer.  

Super bummed and feel like I failed my family for the rest of the summer, we had a ton of trips planned.  

Will update once I dig into this and see what all will need to be done. 

rhino89523    34

My brother in law did the same thing with his Dad's boat a few years ago. I pulled off the strut, shaft and prop and took it to my prop guy. It was an older centurion so the parts were harder to source. Anyway my prop guy straightened out the support, straightened the shaft and fixed the prop. It took him a couple days then I just stuffed it all back in the boat and realigned the motor. The support I had to glue back in with that 3m white sealant that takes forever to dry but never leaks. We had it all back together in about a week....you got this!!!

My prop guy is the man, a lot of people don't get along with him but I love the guy and he is super cool to me. Sometimes you might be surprised what skills people have if you are kind. I am a total do it yourself guy, I like talking to people and I try to not come off as a radio-edit. The prop guys have equipment to check for straight and balance....that boat worked better after my repairs than it did before them. 

Chris O    15

rhino this is great and gives me some hope.

how do you make sure everything is lined back up properly? its a v drive?

Chris O    15

So making progress on this.

Got the whole rudder box removed, shaft strut and got the shaft out.

Wow that taught me some patience.  but if I ever have to do it again will go way faster.

Now just need to get shaft, strut and rudder to a shop and make sure everything is straight.

I understand now about realigning the motor after seeing how everything fits together.

Been looking at the OJ props shaft seals, do any of you guys have experience with them?

Chris O    15

Well since the boat is out of commission for awhile, I was able to get the gator step installed.

Took some back and forth with a couple of the templates, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

The two biggest pieces arent perfect but I'm probably the only one that will notice.  Got a couple air bubbles that I couldnt get out, took a razor and was able to get the air out and I think it'll be fine.

Floor.jpg

Floor2.jpg

Floor3.jpg

• Like 1

Chris O    15

Was able to get the rudder box rebuilt.

Super simple, took old pieces out, put new back in.

Had to use a socket and rubber mallet to tap the hard rubber piece in.

rudder.jpg

rudder2 (2).jpg

rudder1.jpg

Chris O    15

Also started working on replacing the sideswipe exhaust.

I got the interior exhaust stuff all out a couple weeks ago.

Started with getting the side pieces out.

Made some wooden wedges out of black walnut. 

Didnt need any special adhesive remover, was installed with a clear silicone.

Used a razor and acetone with a brass brush to clean up.

Wasnt worried about using the razor or brass brush cause it was gonna get covered up anyhow.  

3M 5200 fast cure and new plate installed, clean up with acetone.

The sideswipe is a decal, but I think I'm gonna leave it, probably be able to see it anyway due to minor sun fade.

wedges.jpg

fae4.jpg

fae3.jpg

fae2.jpg

Chris O    15

If anybody needs pieces from the sideswipe exhaust let me know, everything is in good shape.

Chris O    15

Now for the super stress of cutting 3.75 inch holes in the boat.  I've kinda been delaying this out of opportunity for having a major screwup.  I measured a ton of times, made templates and figured I just had to go for it.

It came with screws, but I decided to go with machine bolts.

The instructions emphasize that you cannot use to much sealant.  I am proof that you can.  Used little over 2 of the small squeeze tubes of 3M 5200, what a mess.  Was able to get it all cleaned up with the acetone.  Wear gloves, I didnt and am still trying to get it off my hands.

I am happy with how it turned out, just have to do the stuff inside the boat which is easy.  I'm waiting till I get the rudder box and shaft support back in though.

Troy. R    198
20 hours ago, Chris O said:

Done

fae.jpg

Nice work Chris!

• Like 1