Jlagos    23

It appears the Vdrive portion of my powerplus vdrive transmission is failing. I developed a high pitched squeal while surfing. I can make it recur when I start to increase engine RPM. The vdrive fluid at the beginning of the season looked great but was low (about 1/2 qt) when I inspected it this past weekend. The gasket appears to be leaking. I presumed the staining of lubricant in the engine bay was a result of a faulty oil filter last year. It was a pain cleaning the engine oil in its entirety and I errantly assumed it was more of the same. Boy was I wrong. The transmission portion appears to be good. I will attempt the fix personally as most dealerships are probably packed with repairs etc and I don't want to be without a boat the remainder of the summer season.  Anyone know if someone rebuilds these things. I found a replacement at Skidim that will require a couple of washers and an adapter bracket. The shape of the mounting bosses have changed. It does not appear to be complicated provided the bolts and nuts cooperate. Considering the vdrive oil is so easy to check I will likely do this at least every other weekend going forward. Complacency appears to have won this round. 

Edited by Jlagos

Troy    234

Squeal coming from the belt? might of got oil residue on it and slipping?

Jlagos    23

The belt started squealing less than 6 months ago so we changed it.  I was hoping it was happening again but when we opened the engine bay it was not emanating form the belts. The noise is located directly above the vdrive.