Sign in to follow this  
danall705

Should I buy this boat- Please Help

danall705    0

Okay. I am new to the boating world and found a 2006 centurion avalanche, fully loaded with the corba motor, stereo system and 56 hours of operation. The boat is in good shape, its at a dealer but I noticed one thing that makes me nervous. I noticed the upper exhaust bolts have been taken off, the intake manifold looks like there is fresh grey silicon and the cobra symbol on top of the plastic cover is glued on with the same grey silicon, the number 1 sparkplug wire has a piece of red tape on it, the engine oil is brand new. I am concerned the top end has been taken apart on this boat but I am wondering if I should just walk away and keep looking.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The price is 35000.

Thanks

islander033    2

Take an independant marine mechanic with you on a test drive and see what he has to say about the engine and other mechanical components. Either way something sounds a bit off.

tgaugh    2

Yeah that's tough. Get someone outside the shop to inspect it, if it is minor, make a big deal out of it and lowball them for trying to not disclose the repairs.

WakeDoc    471

Not sure exactly what area you are taking about with the bolts but, it is somewhat common for the exhaust gaskets to be replaced. Have you asked to see the service records? If you look at them and do not see a issue that would explain it, ask them wht was done.

Bottom when in doudt...WALK AWAY...and find the next Great Deal.

jquick    0

it would be great if you can have a mechanic take a look at her, ask for as much previous records, and if you are still interested get extended warranty. ask if the dealer can take you out on the water as well. good luck

Like the others said, if in doubt...walk. There are deals out there right now.

For reference I bought my brand new (left over) 2007 avy for less that the list of your 2006. Check around - there are still deals.

T

danall705    0

Appreciate the pointers. I called the dealership and probed the sales guy about any top end work that might have been done and he said he would look into it and call me back. It might be nothing, it is a clean boat. I am just a sketcher when it comes to spending that kind of money...

I had the guy confirm the hours on the boat with the engine code reader. Has anyone heard of that, because otherwise the boat has a basic hour meter on the dash.

If you guys have any other things a person might check out on a used boat, please let me know. They are giving me a boat ride on a local lake and a 30-day warranty.

islander033    2
...I had the guy confirm the hours on the boat with the engine code reader. Has anyone heard of that, because otherwise the boat has a basic hour meter on the dash.

If you guys have any other things a person might check out on a used boat, please let me know. They are giving me a boat ride on a local lake and a 30-day warranty.

They can get the hours off the code reader, that is correct.

Make sure you look for gel coat cracks anywhere there is a penetration made in the hull, these are cosmetic but can add up in cost pretty fast when getting them fixed.

Same thing with the vinyl, look for holes and the condition of the stitching.

Pretty much make sure everything works: pumps, stereo, heater, perfect pass...ect.

danall705    0

Appreciate the pointers. I called the dealership and probed the sales guy about any top end work that might have been done and he said he would look into it and call me back. It might be nothing, it is a clean boat. I am just a sketcher when it comes to spending that kind of money...

I had the guy confirm the hours on the boat with the engine code reader. Has anyone heard of that, because otherwise the boat has a basic hour meter on the dash.

Joe B    17

Like pointed out above, if you go to the troubleshooting section and click on the post titled: Tic Tic Tic, you'll see more than a handful of boats with the gasket leak and pretty low hours.

Take your time. Make sure you get the warm feeling if you plan on having service done by the same dealer. In other words, try to find a referral of someone that has service done there. Salesmen are well, salesmen. If you post where you live, you might get a referral here.

danall705    0

Well, looks like my concern was well warranted. I probed the salesman with what I noticed about the motor and he called me back and told me their shop had to completely rebuild the motor because someone didn't prepare for the freeze properly and the block was cracked. I am definately passing on this boat.

thanks everyone

I dont know where you live but here is a "new" 07 with the 3 yr factory warranty for $35K.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1248715722

LakeSurfer - that was like my deal. Brand new 07, zero hours, full warranty, tandem trailer, etc for 33.8k.

There are deals out there.

T

boarder250    0

Yeah I got a new 07 enzo sv230 for about the price of the 06 avalanche you looked at. Check out mossdale boats on trader online they have an 08 avalanche for only 37,990 brand new right now. Even if you have to ship it like me it is still an awsome deal. I got mine from San Ramon Boat center because they had the best deal at the time though.

Joe B    17

So you guys are saying my Avalanche didn't appreciate with age????? :thumbsup:

Carter13    69

I picked up my 05 AVY C4 storm 2 bling bling package with 274 hrs for $25,600.

It was a repo from Cali and I bought it from a guy on Craigslist here in Portland.

With the money I saved I was able to pimp it out very nicely.

enzo101mo    98

If I were you look for the best buy, it's a buyers market on boats these days. For Example go online to Missionrvandmarine.com Adam sells boats online all over the country and out of the country with prices no one can beat. He has new 2009s SV230 for around 49,000.00 and loaded and will ship anywhere