Gerbalski    0

Boat making a strange noise coming from vDrive, has oil just changed, no metal on dip stick. Does the attached link sound familiar to anyone? https://youtu.be/BALnCUWcXYI

I’m thinking bearing but not quite sure. 

Edited by Gerbalski
Spelling

enzo101mo    98

My Brother just had his replaced  his old one, but it  Was leaking oil.  After he had the new one installed just like yours, we took it out and was making the same noise.  Went back to the mechanic and he hopped in the boat with his computer and plugged it in.  His check everything out and said; everything was fine.  So I suggested that he drive it under 20 mph for the day  to break it in and the sound was almost completely gone.   You my have a bearing going out check with your boat mechanic before it's to late.  Cost my brother $3,700.00 dollars to replace the old.

Gerbalski    0

Ok so I pulled VDrive, it’s good I put all back together and still made same noise. Not the cutlass bearing, not the stuffing box. I crawled in with a stethoscope and finally narrowed it down to the engine side of the transmission (direct drive). Soo now does anyone out there know if you can change just transmission components or is it like a v drive and it’s change our whole unit? 

Creekrat82    4

You can definitely rebuild it. My parents have an 87 mc tristar 190 that reverse went out on the borg Warner 1:1 velvet drive. I rebuilt the entire thing for less than $500. Mind you that I did not need any hard parts. If you narrowedbit down to that side of it it seems like it could be the bearing on the input shaft or the coupling/clutch that transfers the engine rotation to the trans. Unless you run them low on oil or get debris in them the bearings in these transmissions can take a pretty severe beating before failure. If it is a bearing you should be able to remove it, you may need a press or bearing puller, and take the old one down to the local bearing supply or auto parts store and find a suitable replacement. If it is not a sealed bearing, shouldn’t be, then don’t let them talk you into “upgrading” to a sealed unit.