joelmjohnson

New FI23 or used RI237

joelmjohnson    13

Lovetosurf,  thanks for the advise. Im at 5000', my dealer is ordering without a prop so we can try a few out. Ill make sure that the 16x13 is on the list

• Like 1

joelmjohnson    13

They started building our boat today!  Whats everyone's thought on additional ballast for the opti v hull? We didnt opt for the pnp 350# in the stern or 250 in the bow as I wanted the space for storage. Im planning to place an order with wakeballast for 500#. Will I want more? 

Tleeah    33
5 minutes ago, joelmjohnson said:

They started building our boat today!  Whats everyone's thought on additional ballast for the opti v hull? We didnt opt for the pnp 350# in the stern or 250 in the bow as I wanted the space for storage. Im planning to place an order with wakeballast for 500#. Will I want more? 

On our FI, we did not opt for the transom bag or the bow bag.  I love that transom locker for storage.  We have 500# of lead which will go into the transom and some weight forward the corner bags.  I did surf the boat with 300# in the corners (150 in each corner) and the wave was epic.I will start with the 500# and add more if needed.

On the transom bag, the bag sure looks small for 350#.  Maybe it can hold that, but the area seems a little small to hold 350#.  

Tleeah    33
59 minutes ago, joelmjohnson said:

Thanks thats what i was thinking. I guess if we need more than 500 its free shipping.  

show pics when you have them.  

lovetosurf    49
11 hours ago, joelmjohnson said:

Joel,

We went the same way. Here’s another option for your ballast bags: 

http://www.pop-products.com/our-products.html

It’s the best price I’ve found for steel, only difference being that they’re 40lb bags vs 50lb bags and not as pretty as the wake ballast bags which doesn’t bother me since they’ll be out of site.

h20king    795

I think skipping on any of the ballast will hurt resale if you don't plan to keep long term. You will be competing with boats like mine that checked all the important boxes. Even if you chose not to use the ballast you only get one chance to get it from the factory  JMTC

• Like 1

Darkside    249

Obviously different beasts,  but the RI on opti-v LOVES rear weight.   Bow bag probably not needed,  transom bag is needed.   BTW congrats on the FI!  Those are the absolute best looking boats on the market right now, by a large margin!

joelmjohnson    13

Thanks for all the replies all,

Will we all likely want more that stock ballast in the end?  

From what I gather ballast is set up like:

1. Ram fill 2500
  2. Front hard tank 450
  3. PNP 250 bow bag 
  4. PNP Rear corners 1300 (650 each corner )
  5. PNP transom bag 350

Im going with 1, 2, 4, and replacing 5 with 500# of lead. For grand total of 4750# of ballast.  So still less than full option stock ballast.  At what point do we hit diminishing returns? Any discussion. 

4 hours ago, h20king said:

I think skipping on any of the ballast will hurt resale if you don't plan to keep long term. You will be competing with boats like mine that checked all the important boxes. Even if you chose not to use the ballast you only get one chance to get it from the factory  JMTC

I hear you on not getting all the stock ballast. For us we plan to keep the boat for quite some time and I have plans for the rear locker!!!  

Tleeah    33

So funny story.  When I went out to demo the FI 23, we filled the PNP's and the ramfill bags.  I was messing with the controls and the sales guy forgot to fill front 450lb hard tank.  So I surfed it with the ramfill and PNP's with my 300# of lead in the back corners (150 on each side).  The wave was amazing and long.  Needless to say we figured out that the front tank was not full after I had quit surfing.  I was sold on the boat without the front 450# tank full.  The surf wave was great.    

carguy79ta    67

along with Darksides thoughts, I would get all factory ballast possible.  I did on my 257.  also IT LOVES 1000lbs lead. If you have the transom bag you can always not use it. same as the bow sack.  it may be too late by now but JMO. I use all my ballast and lead. the bow sack allows the lead in the back without too much bow rise.

Tleeah    33

Did not have a huge choice for the women of the family fell in love with this particular boat and got a great deal.  I can see adding the transom bag later if needed.  It did arrive to the marina on Thursday.  Fits in my slip really well.

D416B179-3037-4122-B1B4-4CF43646269D.jpeg

6AEF4360-9FCC-49AB-AB2D-1DEDE591B7BE.jpeg

A58CC169-D35D-42E5-B2D8-9E8AE550830E.jpeg

8E9879A0-0D72-4087-908B-046EC79A5F83.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Bongo Fury    641

Very Nice...is that a shalllow water Hydrohoyst?   What is the weight rating?  Great set-up!

Tleeah    33
10 hours ago, Bongo Fury said:

Very Nice...is that a shalllow water Hydrohoyst?   What is the weight rating?  Great set-up!

That is a regular 6,000 lb hydrohoyst.  My FX22 sat lower in the water so could not get boat fully covered.  Since the FZi has a higher bow and freeboard, I really did not loose any cover going the the FI.  The slip is about 23’, 5” in length.

69B50E67-2AD1-4B9F-94BE-CFD7D032AB28.jpeg

Edited by Tleeah
  • Like 1

Tleeah    33
5 hours ago, joelmjohnson said:

No turning back now!!

file2-1_zpsokozmkuv.jpeg

file1-3_zpst3zethqs.jpeg

file3_zpsxypryzid.jpeg

file-3_zpsfxg9xl9r.jpeg

Sweet, that boat will look RAD!!!  Keep us updated on the progress.

• Like 1