JJOcean

Glove Box Filling with Water & Ramfill Trailer Mode Closing On Its Own

JJOcean    30

I got caught in a rainstorm on the 4th and when I was putting up the boat I noticed the bottom of my glove box was filled with about a ½” of water.  I put my phones and wallet in there – not to mention the radio.  It’s never happened before, but I also never drove through a good rain storm before.  I replaced the seal on the glove box lid earlier this year – it didn’t leak from there, but after examining the glove box for a leak it looks like there is nothing preventing the water from coming into the glove box between the surface of the gel coat that the windshield mounts to and the plastic housing of the glove box dash.  Looks to be at least a ¼” gap that water can push straight into the glove box from the base of the windshield where the center window pane hinges.  Anybody else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?  I was planning to run a large bead of silicone on the inside of that gap unless I hear a better solution.

Also, my trailer mode doesn’t seem to be staying in open mode anymore.  I put it up on the lift, open valves in trailer mode and when I come back the next day – the valves are closed when I power up the boat.  I did have a software update applied 2 months ago, but I only noticed the behavior a couple weeks ago.  Prior to that, the valves would stay open in trailer mode until I powered on the boat and closed them via the screen.  Is this behavior normal?

stoked    1,039

Can't speak to your glovebox, but for the valves, that's how mine work. If I leave them open, they'll be closed next time. So I just open and close them when we're done and open and close them when we start. That way I have no doubt where they are. Those rear ones can trick you into thinking they're open when they're not.

• Like 1

JJOcean    30

Good to know my valves weren't doing something out of the ordinary.  I should have mentioned that the software was updated at the same time my valves were changed from the drainmasters to the valteras.  I'll probably use your same process - much easier to know exactly what state the valves are in.  Thanks.

InfinitySurf    302

JJ...I have same boat and have been caught in several rainstorms. Tho the rest of the boat gets soaked...not water in glovebox, so must be something not right there.

On Ramfill...I always put in trailer mode also when I pull onto trailer, then I power down and turn off battery. The moment you power battery back up, they will automatically close, probably so you don't drop in water with valves open. I noticed that unless I start boat, it does not tell me on screen that they closed and will "Act" like they are open cause when I hit close, nothing happens...hit open, and they will open and then read correctly. So obviously designed to close on their own as some kind of safety measure I guess. Kindof glad cause I was paranoid that I would back trailer in while valves still open and then have trouble getting boat off cause of the ballast it would bring on, making boat too heavy to float off trailer.

I also soak the valves in silicone every few trips....even tho I have the new Valterra valves, I have not yet replaced them since I have not had any issues yet with the Drainmasters. I plan to change them this fall tho.

Actually....would love to see pics of how they oriented your Valterra valves since same boat. I heard that you may have to cut the divider at rear due to the way they open differently with valve going in/out, compared to the red allen key. When you get chance...could you text me some pics? 

JJOcean    30

Yes, I will send you some pics when we head out next ... probably Saturday.  I will tell you that it wasn't a pure plug and play install.  There were some slight "adjustments" that the dealer had to make.  I didn't get into the details with them, but they clearly stated the alignment isn't exactly the same.  They also had to reorder a seal/o-ring for one of the valves after the initial install.  Thankfully, they water tested it and found an ultra small drip/leak on one of the rears.  Yes, I also notched my engine dividers in the rear  (~3"x5" section) where the valves handles open up (more diagonally) and were too close to the panel for my comfort, especially with the PNP bags full.

Yes, the glove box is off.  It is hard to describe, but it's like the whole plastic housing that the lid of the glove box is a part of isn't adhered to the gel coat up where it boarders the windshield.  I will get a better look at it this weekend.

InfinitySurf    302

Thanks for the pics of valves sometime in future...and if I can help with any pics of my glovebox to show if any difference from what you have, let me know!

jester    111

On the Ram system you can leave them open when you trailer and next time you boot up the system it will close all the gates.  It is part of the system startup like running the CAT's fin to the left then finding center and moving the wakeplate up.  

Edited by jester