xj1514

XJ's Official S238 thread...pictures

MFaso    56

Bow weight never worked for me either. I actually stuffed life jackets and such on TOP of my bow bag under the seats.

xj1514    13

I've tried no bow weight, it must be my leadwake in the rear plus 1100's, but the boat does a wheelie, horrible to drive. 

When the dealer set the boat for surfing he did full tanks and pnp, then 90 on the surf tab, and 30 or so for trim. He surfed it very well on the regular side and pretty far back. I would really prefer to surf farther back like this. 

Wheni tried no bow weight, surf tab ranging 40 to 100, I've played with all levels of surf tabs, and either evenly weighted in the rear or listed with opposite side completely empty, the wave is much taller, but the push I feel is like 3 inches off the back of the boat. Could be my lack of surfing ability. 

I would really prefer a longer pocket vs tall and peaky. 

As for my leaking board, Ronix didn't seal the plug at the back topside of the board, so it was taking on water as well.  The core is soaked. 

Cwazy1    89
1 hour ago, xj1514 said:

I've tried no bow weight, it must be my leadwake in the rear plus 1100's, but the boat does a wheelie, horrible to drive. 

When the dealer set the boat for surfing he did full tanks and pnp, then 90 on the surf tab, and 30 or so for trim. He surfed it very well on the regular side and pretty far back. I would really prefer to surf farther back like this. 

Wheni tried no bow weight, surf tab ranging 40 to 100, I've played with all levels of surf tabs, and either evenly weighted in the rear or listed with opposite side completely empty, the wave is much taller, but the push I feel is like 3 inches off the back of the boat. Could be my lack of surfing ability. 

I would really prefer a longer pocket vs tall and peaky. 

As for my leaking board, Ronix didn't seal the plug at the back topside of the board, so it was taking on water as well.  The core is soaked. 

Yeah, you should barely be able to see over the bow for a great wave. Its all about sacrifices! 

Did you move your surf tab mount point yet? I found it made a huge difference on regular side. 

xj1514    13
54 minutes ago, Cwazy1 said:

Yeah, you should barely be able to see over the bow for a great wave. Its all about sacrifices! 

Did you move your surf tab mount point yet? I found it made a huge difference on regular side. 

Yes outboard as far as possible 

DjOM21    59
1 hour ago, Cwazy1 said:

Personally I kinda like standing up when driving anyway. Let's get listed! Would help if the bolster was not so squishy.

Cwazy1    89
Just now, DjOM21 said:

Personally I kinda like standing up when driving anyway. Let's get listed! Would help if the bolster was not so squishy.

Agree, the '16 foam on the bolster is actually a heavier density than the '17. Fun fact. 

• Like 1

xj1514    13
1 hour ago, DjOM21 said:

The bolster is one of the worse.  It flattens on me, and I'm only 240 lbs. wait, that's kinda heavy. It's still squishy. 

InfinitySurf    302

I realize I am in the minority here....when I got my boat, I was told don't do bow weight by the owner and everyone else (he always listed boat and never tried anything else) However, I finally did it cause while I had a nice tall surf wave with no bow weight, it was not long at all. When I added lead to back, wave got so tall that when I went to neutral after a fall, sometimes water would wash over the sun pads and into the boat. Soon as I started adding weight to bow, my wave got longer and lost none of the push...installed the Nauticurl suck gate and it got even longer with more push.

So maybe it doesn't work that way in the Supreme, but cannot hurt to try it and see what happens, especially cause of what you said your "preferred" wave would do. Yes....It does make the wave a little shorter, but I needed that so it would not wash into my boat and with a wave waist high that is not long, its not ideal to ride anyway (for me). Adding the bow weight probably took 12" off the height, but I still have 30-36" high wave from trough to peak, that is perfect for me.

This pic is my brother last weekend...20ft behind the boat and still able to recover. 

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

MFaso    56

Nice wave for sure man! I didn't mention that I do have midship bags, which I'm going to assume keeps by boat down a bit. I can see fine when driving with no bow weight. If that midship weight was in the back as well, I'm sure the nose would wheelie too.

For me, being totally new, it was....prove what works and keep it until I know I can surf. Then play with it after that. I'm in the "after that" mode now. It's hard to learn when you play with the settings every single time out. I learned it was me, not the wave...lol It takes some time to see that. I now feel like I can "feel" the push or no push. I'm having my buddy change settings when I'm in the water, trying to surf, then doing that again with different settings and seeing the change within minutes.

In trying to show some others I can say that foot placement is HUGE. Move your front foot up until you feel like it's going to nose dive and then center your weight, and you are in the right spot.

xj1514    13
4 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

I realize I am in the minority here....when I got my boat, I was told don't do bow weight by the owner and everyone else (he always listed boat and never tried anything else) However, I finally did it cause while I had a nice tall surf wave with no bow weight, it was not long at all. When I added lead to back, wave got so tall that when I went to neutral after a fall, sometimes water would wash over the sun pads and into the boat. Soon as I started adding weight to bow, my wave got longer and lost none of the push...installed the Nauticurl suck gate and it got even longer with more push.

So maybe it doesn't work that way in the Supreme, but cannot hurt to try it and see what happens, especially cause of what you said your "preferred" wave would do. Yes....It does make the wave a little shorter, but I needed that so it would not wash into my boat and with a wave waist high that is not long, its not ideal to ride anyway (for me). Adding the bow weight probably took 12" off the height, but I still have 30-36" high wave from trough to peak, that is perfect for me.

This pic is my brother last weekend...20ft behind the boat and still able to recover. 

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

That is a great looking wake. How do you have it setup for weight, trim etc? 

InfinitySurf    302

Nauticurl suck gate 6-8" from the back (this gate has the angle at back instead of front, so I feel it has more adjustability)... Ramfill full = 2500. Both PnP bags in rear lockers full = 1400. Bow bag full = 500 (4,400lbs total). In this picture I had no lead cause it was really windy/choppy that day and I really don't need the lead, but I add between 400-500lbs of lead to the bow sometimes too with lighter crew of 2-3 people. In this pic, only me driving and brother surfing. My bow is not way up at all....I will attach 2 pictures below that show the angle of boat from 2 different angles, also another picture of me surfing but shows more of the height since I am breaking up the wave, so you cant see how clean it is (pic is from different day but still no lead)

11mph @ 3400rpm with ZR409 engine and 800ft elevation, #1433 prop. CATS centered (don't use it when not listed)...center trim tab at 50 (when I add lead I have the center trim tab at 30).

You have an awesome boat with modern surf system, doubt you need a suck gate....but gotta say it has changed the game for me. I have a 2014 SV244 which is the year before they came out with the trim tab surf systems. Listing, I could get a great wave but not this kind of push (sure it cause I am able to add so much more ballast)....but know extra length is partly due to the suck gate which changes how it comes off back of boat. I planned to upgrade my boat next year to an RI237 but may put it off another year cause I am so happy with the wave now and its so easy to use and while the RI may be a little better, it wont be by much now. I fill my ballast, slap it on and spend maybe a couple mins messing with trim depending on conditions and I am surfing, very happy. Also, I average 4-4.5 gallons per hour of fuel, set up like this cause suck gate and extra ballast only add 200rpm to my listed surf setup. Not many big boats are gonna be able to do that.

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Surfing resized.jpg

xj1514    13
1 hour ago, MFaso said:

Nice wave for sure man! I didn't mention that I do have midship bags, which I'm going to assume keeps by boat down a bit. I can see fine when driving with no bow weight. If that midship weight was in the back as well, I'm sure the nose would wheelie too.

For me, being totally new, it was....prove what works and keep it until I know I can surf. Then play with it after that. I'm in the "after that" mode now. It's hard to learn when you play with the settings every single time out. I learned it was me, not the wave...lol It takes some time to see that. I now feel like I can "feel" the push or no push. I'm having my buddy change settings when I'm in the water, trying to surf, then doing that again with different settings and seeing the change within minutes.

In trying to show some others I can say that foot placement is HUGE. Move your front foot up until you feel like it's going to nose dive and then center your weight, and you are in the right spot.

I'm going to move more lead upfront and see what happens. I've tried the front foot thing, and have definitely submariner the board a few times. 

I don't understand how the consensus on the forums is to go no bow weight and list, while the dealer and supreme are saying run all systems full and just use quick surf. Hard to argue when the dealer surfs the expletive out of it.  One thing that I noticed was he was much farther back than me on the goofy side. See the regular and goofy that much different. 

Still scratching my head up n my settings. Listed, no weight up front, more weight up front, unlisted, surf tabs deployed or not deployed.

I think I have tried every ones settings they have posted lol. 

MFaso    56

haha...same with my dealer other than no bow bag. It comes down to his weight(less weight needs less push) and riding skill level. I gave my dealer the keys and got a video of him surfing my boat stock when I was at work. He is here on the forums somewhere but it's busy season and he works his tush off at that marina.

Anyway, I didn't get anything out of listing much and I prefer not to. you'll get it. You would think by now there would be a much easier way to dial the wave in without all the trouble but nope. It's a science that really pisses you off.

• Like 1

xj1514    13

Infinity surf-

Those are some great looking shots, I really like how long the wave is and how far back you are compared to the listed setup I've been trying. I'm going to goof around with more weigh midship and bow. I think I'm close to you with weight, 2700 standard plus 1000 ish extra from 1100's, makes 3700 plus 600 lead for 4300 lbs. I suspect it's closer to 4000 since the 1100's don't fill all the way.  I'd love to try someone's slapper on this pig and see if it makes a difference, I suspect yes. 

xj1514    13
3 minutes ago, MFaso said:

haha...same with my dealer other than no bow bag. It comes down to his weight(less weight needs less push) and riding skill level. I gave my dealer the keys and got a video of him surfing my boat stock when I was at work. He is here on the forums somewhere but it's busy season and he works his tush off at that marina.

Anyway, I didn't get anything out of listing much and I prefer not to. you'll get it. You would think by now there would be a much easier way to dial the wave in without all the trouble but nope. It's a science that really pisses you off.

You nailed it all the way around. Doesn't help my dealer was a pro wakeboarder, so just a regular all around athlete and can ride probably anything, heck he surfed his life jacket with no board! ... with the rope of course. 

InfinitySurf    302

You just gotta try different things till you find something that works for you. I got boat in middle of Feb...March we had a cold snap and I was frustrated with my surf setup thru April and May having trouble getting a wave I really liked that was consistent and finally figured it out about a month ago at beginning of June when I got serious about using my shaper and being able to use all my available ballast. I relieve stress and have a blast every time I go out tho and that is what matters. Just being on the water does that for me, just a bonus I have a great wave now that I can progress on. I am still a noob, but at least I get better every time and am starting to get good enough to try to do 360's, get airs, etc. Upside is how much fun I am having, downside is every nice day tempts me to leave work early and hit the lake (thank goodness I am so close to water). Good thing I have strong work ethic or I would never get anything else done.

InfinitySurf    302

If you get a hair up your tush...lots of DIY threads on how to make a shaper for like $30-$40 to see how it works. If you like it, you can buy a few decent suck gates for around $200 (Nauticurl and Swell). If it works for your boat, well worth the money IMO

DrNate    426

Just reading through this thread and just wanted to point out that the Centurion Enzo 244 (I have a 240) and the Supreme 238 hulls are different so you are comparing apples and oranges.  I know nothing about the 238 so I can't help but seems like you are getting sound advice here.

I will say that my Enzo does not need a suckgate.  My listed wave is as good as it gets (except for maybe the newer RI's).  I have a buddy who weights 350 pounds (no joke) and surfs my 5'4" surf style board behind it like it's cool.  You'll get there.  I'll be following along

xj1514    13
1 hour ago, DrNate said:

Just reading through this thread and just wanted to point out that the Centurion Enzo 244 (I have a 240) and the Supreme 238 hulls are different so you are comparing apples and oranges.  I know nothing about the 238 so I can't help but seems like you are getting sound advice here.

I will say that my Enzo does not need a suckgate.  My listed wave is as good as it gets (except for maybe the newer RI's).  I have a buddy who weights 350 pounds (no joke) and surfs my 5'4" surf style board behind it like it's cool.  You'll get there.  I'll be following along

Yeah I kinda figured I was grasping at straws since the boats are different, but at this point I'm willing to try any configuration. We will see how attempting to lengthen the wave and riding a giant foam board will change the game for me. 

In the back of my mind I keep thinking I chose the wrong boat, but I also know the boat has to be set up right and I need to figure out if i am surfing correctly. I can surf in the ocean, not great, but I can definitely ride a wave. 

xj1514    13

Here is a video. Like I said, lots of just thrashing about, apparently no one videotaped when I was just sitting there trying to find the pocket.