MFaso    56

Hey all. So the 2017 S238 finally went in yesterday. It was cold and rainy but my dealer was down to go out and new I would get in the COLD water so we did it. I was riding the doom neo 4'8. Didn't have a problem getting up or carving at all. Felt like any other board sport I've done growing up.

I couldn't ride rope free so I am a little bummed about that. Not really sure what else I can do about letting go of the rope. Here is a video my wife took of maybe my second ride. We are making a turn in the beginning. Ballast is STOCK. All tanks 100% except the bow bag, which was empty. My wife(120lbs) and my 2 kids who are maybe 100lbs combined and the dealer was driving.

Please let me know what you think. Any tips on letting go of the rope would be great..my stance, my spot on the wave, weight forward, back?...any info is good helpful info. Keep in mind I'm a total newbie. I tried this once in 2014 for maybe 30 minutes and spent a bit of time not getting up so I wasn't riding for 30 minutes by any means.

Cwazy1    89

Haha nice video, I'm surprised you guys are already in the water without booties/gloves!

So... now I get to refer back to your original thread that you created when ordering the boat about whether or not the boat is surfable out of the box and at what length your dealer will go to in order to support that claim. Now you probably understand why most of us said it is *not* surfable out of the box.

First I'd try a few things. And before I suggest anything, you're missing some details which alter the wave significantly.. such as stinger plate setting? quicksurf setting? speed?

1. try it partially listed. 100% surf side ballast, 75% non surf side ballast. 238 doesn't need a heavy list. try that first

2. try messing with quick surf settings, remember, 100% on surf side is not the best for a center hole mounted QS tab. I run 60 on regular wave, 80 on goofy.

3. play with stinger plate. always start at 0 and move your way up. The more stinger plate, the shorter your wave will be.

On the non settings feedback:

1. your stance looks fine. But from the video it looked like your back leg was getting tired, a pretty good sign you're putting too much weight in your rear leg and 'hitting the brakes'. Don't change your footing, but shift your weight to be more centered over your two feet.

2. you look to be about ~180#, you'll need a decent wave to drive you along. I'm 160#, riding a 4'6" and I had to work really hard to keep up with the stock 238 wave ropeless.

On the ballast upgrades, you can go many routes. Reference one of the 10million threads here about 238 ballast upgrades. My suggestion = upgrade 750# bags in the rear, then add 500 pounds of lead.

MFaso    56

Haha nice video, I'm surprised you guys are already in the water without booties/gloves!

So... now I get to refer back to your original thread that you created when ordering the boat about whether or not the boat is surfable out of the box and at what length your dealer will go to in order to support that claim. Now you probably understand why most of us said it is *not* surfable out of the box.

First I'd try a few things. And before I suggest anything, you're missing some details which alter the wave significantly.. such as stinger plate setting? quicksurf setting? speed?

1. try it partially listed. 100% surf side ballast, 75% non surf side ballast. 238 doesn't need a heavy list. try that first

2. try messing with quick surf settings, remember, 100% on surf side is not the best for a center hole mounted QS tab. I run 60 on regular wave, 80 on goofy.

3. play with stinger plate. always start at 0 and move your way up. The more stinger plate, the shorter your wave will be.

On the non settings feedback:

1. your stance looks fine. But from the video it looked like your back leg was getting tired, a pretty good sign you're putting too much weight in your rear leg and 'hitting the brakes'. Don't change your footing, but shift your weight to be more centered over your two feet.

2. you look to be about ~180#, you'll need a decent wave to drive you along. I'm 160#, riding a 4'6" and I had to work really hard to keep up with the stock 238 wave ropeless.

On the ballast upgrades, you can go many routes. Reference one of the 10million threads here about 238 ballast upgrades. My suggestion = upgrade 750# bags in the rear, then add 500 pounds of lead.

Thanks. I'll try all this next weekend...I felt good riding. I don't know the stinger plate setting but speed was 11-11.2. We tried both. So, can you tell from the video that the wave is stock? I see a ton of videos and it's hard for me to tell. I'm looking at the rider more I think. I tried burying the nose more but it still didn't quite catch the wave for me to let go. Just some speed but then the rope was needed again.

I'm thinking about the wakemakers package but we'll see. I tried once in the rain and didn't get to surf today but I did go out and play with the wave a little. I need to try backing down the non surf side to 75%. Should that add push though?

Thanks man!

MFaso    56

...and it was REALLY COLD. My hands and feet were freeing man. I didn't spend much time in the water because I was getting up and surfing right away. No one was really on the lake but us. I've been waiting a long time for this day and I wasn't letting the water temp of rain stop me. ;)

Cwazy1    89

Your speed sounds about right, I run 11.1 normally and 11.2 if loaded super heavy.

Just make sure your stinger setting is as low as possible while creating the minimum for cleanness of wave. You don't want to crush the wave down more than it needs. The higher the setting the cleaner the wave.

Yes, I can 100% tell its a stock wave. Only because I've seen it in person before. Also most of the evenly weighted stock quicksurf supreme waves have that washy lip running on the top of the wave.

"Just some speed but then the rope was needed again" this is exactly what I mean by I had to work hard to keep up with it. I couldn't stop pumping otherwise I'd lose the wave.

Try backing down non surf side to 75%. It'll make a cleaner wave for sure, but uncertain about how much push it'll add. After you try that, give it a shot to run it fully listed. 0% non surf side and don't even bother using quicksurf, have everyone sit port side too.. The s21 regular wave is killer when fully listed.

MFaso    56

stinger plate being low meaning closer to 0, right? Sorry, I keep confusing the 0-100...0 is all the way up(off/low)? 100 is all the way down?(which you call high since the number is maxed at 100?) Sorry, it's confusing for me. I'm literally 2 hours into this thing with 15 minutes playing with the wake...

InfinitySurf    302

I just bought a wetsuit and booties yesterday cause i just cannot wait any longer and my lake is still a bit chilly. I jumped in last week and froze my nuts off.

I bought exact same board this winter...Doomswell Neo and weigh 200lbs.

Like Cwazy said, weight is too far back and it looked like you were "on the brakes" the whole time. Use you knees more as "Absorbers", and use body weight to lean into the front of the board. I personally think your front foot was back a little too far. When surfing, everything is a little delayed but you should not have to make sudden movements, when your weight is right, a slight shift forward or backward should either speed you up or slow you down.

It was your first time tho man, very few people can ride wireless the first time. You just gotta put in the time practicing and seeing what feels right. You will get it.

MFaso    56

I just bought a wetsuit and booties yesterday cause i just cannot wait any longer and my lake is still a bit chilly. I jumped in last week and froze my nuts off.

I bought exact same board this winter...Doomswell Neo and weigh 200lbs.

Like Cwazy said, weight is too far back and it looked like you were "on the brakes" the whole time. Use you knees more as "Absorbers", and use body weight to lean into the front of the board. I personally think your front foot was back a little too far. When surfing, everything is a little delayed but you should not have to make sudden movements, when your weight is right, a slight shift forward or backward should either speed you up or slow you down.

It was your first time tho man, very few people can ride wireless the first time. You just gotta put in the time practicing and seeing what feels right. You will get it.

Thanks man. My hands and feet were red but I didn't give a sh*t...lol I'm a huge boating guy and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, this boat came along. I've always dreamed of a surfboat but never pulled the trigger. There was NO WAY I wasn't going in and once I was up and riding, it was all worth it. The cold meant nothing to me. My wife had a few layers on and a hooded sweatshirt, and northface coat. Everyone said I was nuts but I'll tell you this, I had the most fun! HA

Cwazy1    89

stinger plate being low meaning closer to 0, right? Sorry, I keep confusing the 0-100...0 is all the way up(off/low)? 100 is all the way down?(which you call high since the number is maxed at 100?) Sorry, it's confusing for me. I'm literally 2 hours into this thing with 15 minutes playing with the wake...

correcto!

NW Vettes    11

Hey all. So the 2017 S238 finally went in yesterday. It was cold and rainy but my dealer was down to go out and new I would get in the COLD water so we did it. I was riding the doom neo 4'8. Didn't have a problem getting up or carving at all. Felt like any other board sport I've done growing up.

I couldn't ride rope free so I am a little bummed about that. Not really sure what else I can do about letting go of the rope. Here is a video my wife took of maybe my second ride. We are making a turn in the beginning. Ballast is STOCK. All tanks 100% except the bow bag, which was empty. My wife(120lbs) and my 2 kids who are maybe 100lbs combined and the dealer was driving.

Please let me know what you think. Any tips on letting go of the rope would be great..my stance, my spot on the wave, weight forward, back?...any info is good helpful info. Keep in mind I'm a total newbie. I tried this once in 2014 for maybe 30 minutes and spent a bit of time not getting up so I wasn't riding for 30 minutes by any means.

Wow I'll be pissed if my S238 puts out a wave like that. I had my s226 dialed in and wave was way better than that. Guessing that it needs way more list.

My first time out I tried to just load all ballast and that is not the answer on these type of hulls. Do as the guys said above and run it listed. My S238 gets delivered in a 3 weeks and I have the dealer installing 1100 fly high bags in both back lockers. I also have another 500 pounds of lead for it.

I better have one hell of a wave with unreal size and push! Or I'll be pissed because I'm going off what others say about this wave with extra weight. If the wave sucks I'll wish I had bit the bullet and got a $100k+ boat.

MFaso    56

Wow I'll be pissed if my S238 puts out a wave like that. I had my s226 dialed in and wave was way better than that. Guessing that it needs way more list.

My first time out I tried to just load all ballast and that is not the answer on these type of hulls. Do as the guys said above and run it listed. My S238 gets delivered in a 3 weeks and I have the dealer installing 1100 fly high bags in both back lockers. I also have another 500 pounds of lead for it.

I better have one hell of a wave with unreal size and push! Or I'll be pissed because I'm going off what others say about this wave with extra weight. If the wave sucks I'll wish I had bit the bullet and got a $100k+ boat.

like I said, this is day 1, stock ballast. I thought I read those 1100s break the walls in the back lockers. they just aren't strong enough to support 1100lbs of weight. Also, from what I read, there is such a thing as too much weight. I don't know about 1100s in those back lockers. Look into that more. Guys here have talked about it. Can't wait to see it though man.

InfinitySurf    302

You can re-inforce the engine divider panels for the extra weight...I did in my Centurion. No such thing as too much ballast IMO...adds push to your wave which makes it easier to stay in pocket and get better at surfing for us noobs. You can choose to not use it all if you have enough crew on board, but you wont ever regret having too much. I have my boat maxed out with Ramfill and PnP already (without having bags in open) and wave is very nice, its actually better than I am right now, lol....but I just ordered 700lbs of lead cause I plan to get much better and want my wave to stay better than I am.

Cwazy1    89

You can re-inforce the engine divider panels for the extra weight...I did in my Centurion. No such thing as too much ballast IMO...adds push to your wave which makes it easier to stay in pocket and get better at surfing for us noobs. You can choose to not use it all if you have enough crew on board, but you wont ever regret having too much. I have my boat maxed out with Ramfill and PnP already (without having bags in open) and wave is very nice, its actually better than I am right now, lol....but I just ordered 700lbs of lead cause I plan to get much better and want my wave to stay better than I am.

image1_1.jpg

lol mine is starting to bend!

Cwazy1    89

1100's don't fit the 238. If you put 1100's in there they could potentially overfill and pop the locker up. I'd put Sumo 800's in there instead.

like I said, this is day 1, stock ballast. I thought I read those 1100s break the walls in the back lockers. they just aren't strong enough to support 1100lbs of weight. Also, from what I read, there is such a thing as too much weight. I don't know about 1100s in those back lockers. Look into that more. Guys here have talked about it. Can't wait to see it though man.

NW Vettes    11

1100's don't fit the 238. If you put 1100's in there they could potentially overfill and pop the locker up. I'd put Sumo 800's in there instead.

Northwest boats puts the 1100's in and recommends them I believe. They won't fill completely and I'm pretty sure these bags won't pop locker up ( recommended to reinforce dividers though). It will just flow in to water when pressure is met. The fly highs supposedly fit best even in the smaller s238 lockers, or at least that's what's been said here. Love for s238 guys to chime in that are using the 1100 fly high bags

Cwazy1    89

You can put whatever size you want in there, but there are consequences to a mis fitted bag.

1. If you put too large a bag that doesn't fill all the way, the walls of the bag no longer support the weight of the water. ALL horizontal forces from the water is exerted on your engine locker divider. This can be addressed by having lots of supports, but none the less the forces are still there and stressing all connectors on the panel.

2. If you put too large a bag that doesn't fill all the way, empty voids in the bag will allow water to slosh around causing added momentum and adding to the instability of a heavily weighted boat when turning/slowing down/accelerating.

3. If your ballast fill timer is too long, the walls of the bags no longer constrain the pressure inside the bag and cause water to flow out of the overflow tube. Instead the locker, engine wall and other walls inside the locker force the pressure. This could cause stressed as well any potential puncture of the bag is anything sharp is present.

4. If you put too large a bag that depends on the top of the locker and engine walls to contain the water pressure, you risk damage to the overflow hose quick connect join which is mounted on the top of the bag. The pressure from the water will force the excess bag to wrap up and around the joint that the quick connect is attached to. Potentially causing upward tearing of the seam attached to the threaded female portion of the bag.

-----

There is a reason the wakemakers and custom 'bag buster' setups don't have a 1100 pound capacity for the rear locker on the 238. Its because it doesn't fit.

I'm running a 1000 in the rears of my 226 and wouldn't even think about increasing it to the 1100. It JUST barely fits the quick connect on the 1100 and touches the inside of the locker hatch just barely. A 1100 would have upwards pressure on the connection and top of the hatch.

Considering a 238's rear locker is 4" shorter than a 226, you'd be kidding yourself if you think a 1100 is the best fit.

------

Another side note- I'm not sure if its actually the case or not, but I'd assume NWBS just orders a large quantity of 1100 bags for a bigger discount than splitting between multiple sizes which are specific to each model of boat. It would be an awful recommendation to suggest that 1100's fit in every supreme model.

Edited by Cwazy1

rrd525    40

I just received some Sumo Max 850's to swap out the factory Fly High rear locker bags. Won't be able to get them in place for another 3 weeks as the boat is still in storage. I'll post up what difference they make, and how they fill, once we get out on the water again.

Edited by rrd525

Cwazy1    89

+1, thats the route I'd go!

I just received some Sumo Max 850's to swap out the factory Fly High rear locker bags. Won't be able to get them in place for another 3 weeks as the boat is still in storage. I'll post up what difference they make, and how they fill, once we get out on the water again.

49faith    4

You can put whatever size you want in there, but there are consequences to a mis fitted bag.

1. If you put too large a bag that doesn't fill all the way, the walls of the bag no longer support the weight of the water. ALL horizontal forces from the water is exerted on your engine locker divider. This can be addressed by having lots of supports, but none the less the forces are still there and stressing all connectors on the panel.

2. If you put too large a bag that doesn't fill all the way, empty voids in the bag will allow water to slosh around causing added momentum and adding to the instability of a heavily weighted boat when turning/slowing down/accelerating.

3. If your ballast fill timer is too long, the walls of the bags no longer constrain the pressure inside the bag and cause water to flow out of the overflow tube. Instead the locker, engine wall and other walls inside the locker force the pressure. This could cause stressed as well any potential puncture of the bag is anything sharp is present.

4. If you put too large a bag that depends on the top of the locker and engine walls to contain the water pressure, you risk damage to the overflow hose quick connect join which is mounted on the top of the bag. The pressure from the water will force the excess bag to wrap up and around the joint that the quick connect is attached to. Potentially causing upward tearing of the seam attached to the threaded female portion of the bag.

-----

There is a reason the wakemakers and custom 'bag buster' setups don't have a 1100 pound capacity for the rear locker on the 238. Its because it doesn't fit.

I'm running a 1000 in the rears of my 226 and wouldn't even think about increasing it to the 1100. It JUST barely fits the quick connect on the 1100 and touches the inside of the locker hatch just barely. A 1100 would have upwards pressure on the connection and top of the hatch.

Considering a 238's rear locker is 4" shorter than a 226, you'd be kidding yourself if you think a 1100 is the best fit.

------

Another side note- I'm not sure if its actually the case or not, but I'd assume NWBS just orders a large quantity of 1100 bags for a bigger discount than splitting between multiple sizes which are specific to each model of boat. It would be an awful recommendation to suggest that 1100's fit in every supreme model.

Damn, I read this now after ordering 1100's for my S21. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Cwazy1    89

I was under the impression that s226 and s21 had same larger locker size (fits up to a 1100) and that the s238 and s211 have the same smaller locker size (fits up to an 850)