257 tips, hints and questions

Fivebar2    176

That's from a downward angle

Edited by Fivebar2

Fivebar2    176

Oh and I am running nothing in the center

chowder2016    110
4 hours ago, Troy said:

Just curiosity, whats the fuel burn per hour surfing for the Ri237?

I'm not 100% but my best guess is about 4-5 gallons per hour

• Like 1

chowder2016    110
4 hours ago, Fivebar2 said:

Oh and I am running nothing in the center

I didn't get the front PNP bags. But I found filling up the center helps to lengthen out the wake a bit more without having to speed up to much. 

Combs19    20
On 5/8/2017 at 1:38 PM, chowder2016 said:

So I was out this weekend a couple things I learned and some I re-learned....

1) Water depth is key to a nice wake.  We were dialing in the wake and it just kept flattening out on me, then I realized I was in only 10 feet of water.  Moved to a different part of the delta where we were at 20-30 feet and the wake was awesome.  I knew that already, but never realized how dramatic a difference it actually makes.

2) Ran into Sean Cummings out near Discovery Bay and his 237.  He is running an extra 1250 of lead underneath the rear seats and the PNP's.  Im only running 500 lbs extra.  So I have an extra 1000 lbs on order + the bigger factory PNP's coming this week.  

3) Make sure to get all the air out of the PNP's.  I realized I had a lot of air in the bags so they were not getting as full as they could be

So my new plan is to place 500 lbs each under each of the rear seats and 250 lbs each under each of the PNP's in the rear.  Slightly list the RamFill to the surf side 100 / 95  or 95 / 100 and full center tank. Speed 11.5, CATS -20, Stinger 60, Surf Tab 65-75

Ill see how it works out once I get the new lead in.....

Not sure if it will work, but here is a link to video taken yesterday surfing with my friends kid on my shoulders.   The wake settings here were Center Full, RAM 100 / 95, CATS -15, 11.5mph, stinger 60, surf tab 75.  Water was 67 degrees air temp 76. About 20 feet deep.

Is there bigger rear PNP you can get for the Ri237 from the factory other then the 750lbs ones it comes with? If so what's the new weight and cost of them?

Fourfrogs    3

Any updates on the 16 x 15 prop? I need to order an extra prop so wondering how it performed 

Darkside    248

16x15 works very well with H6, you do lose some ability to push extreme weights for NON SURFING.  Surfing i have not hit the wall yet.   Brings RPM down a couple hundred RPM while surfing, but cruise is improved and 4MPH more top end.  36 vs 32 with 16x13.

257Tsunami    50

Went out for our maiden voyage today. Awesome boat. Tons of room. Great Stereo. Extremely Smooth ride. The XR7 is a BEAST. There are a few thing that need my attention for sure. Wondering if anybody can offer some advice.

WAVE - I surf Goofy. We played around until we got the best (visually) Goofy Wave we could. Than I jumped in the drink and went for a surf. To be honest, I wasn't blown away. I don't in any way believe this has anything to do with the boat. I think I have some adjustments to do. The wave was a decent size, but didn't seem to have a ton of push. My 2012 22 MXZ with Suckgate seemed to have more push and I could get further behind the boat. My settings were 11.4 MPH, Rear PnP's 100%, T. PnP 100%, S. Ramfill 100%, P Ramfill 90%, C. Tank 100%, CATS 20, Quick Surf 80/0, C. Tab 90, 4 Adults and 2 Children. This was the best looking Goofy Wave we could make. We fluctuated Quick Surf between 75 and 90. If we ran less Centre Tab it seemed to wash out the wave.  My wife surfs Regular. The best wave we could build for that side was utlilizing pretty much the same settings, only Quick Surf, Ram Fill, and CATS settings were reversed. That wave looked much better, but my wife said the same I did. Wave seemed short and didn't have a lot of push. Disclaimer: This was our first surf of the season so I'm sure our form wasn't the best and we were rusty. That for sure doesn't help. What are we doing wrong for surf settings?

CATS - This is completely new to me so I'm still really not sure what I should be doing with it. I can tell you that as I moved it through the different settings I couldn't really see any difference in the wave. What am I missing here? Is anybody able to provide a brief description as to the affect CATS has on the boat and wave.

BALLAST TIMER SETTINGS - What does everybody have their timers set at? With the factory settings, the Rear PnP's and the Transom Bag only fill up a little over (what looks to be) 50% before they shutoff. From there I have to continuously Override to get the bags filled. Same goes for draining. I still haven't been able to confirm if I have the updated bags. Centurion says they landed at the dealer around the time we picked up the boat. But nobody at the dealership can seem to confirm if they ever made it into the boat.

SILENT STINGER - A nice feature for sure. The exhaust noise is very minimal when surfing behind the boat. I did however notice that there was still quite a bit of exhaust fumes both at idle when standing on the platform, and when surfing. Probably no fix to this. It's still much better than my MXZ was so I'm not complaining. Was just expecting less fumes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by 257Tsunami

CO Surfer    289

When you had it set up for a goofy wave, did you have CATS at 20 or -20?  Should be -20 for goofy (or at least it's negative on my boat).

257Tsunami    50
8 hours ago, CO Surfer said:

When you had it set up for a goofy wave, did you have CATS at 20 or -20?  Should be -20 for goofy (or at least it's negative on my boat).

I'm pretty sure Goofy was 20 and Regular was -20. I believe if I did -20 Goofy and 20 Regular the wave was totally destroyed.

Fivebar2    176
8 hours ago, 257Tsunami said:

didn't

257Tsunami you are correct, negative for regular and positive for goofy.

as far as settings go:

i would take at least 1/2 the center pnp out (I have been running zero in there but am going to play with adding a bit more. I would also put your center tab around 60 and surf tab at 65. I would speed up just a tad (maybe 11.5-11.7).

Do you have any lead?

my wave is amazing, tons of push, big and long

10 hours ago, 257Tsunami said:

Went out for our maiden voyage today. Awesome boat. Tons of room. Great Stereo. Extremely Smooth ride. The XR7 is a BEAST. There are a few thing that need my attention for sure. Wondering if anybody can offer some advice.

WAVE - I surf Goofy. We played around until we got the best (visually) Goofy Wave we could. Than I jumped in the drink and went for a surf. To be honest, I wasn't blown away. I don't in any way believe this has anything to do with the boat. I think I have some adjustments to do. The wave was a decent size, but didn't seem to have a ton of push. My 2012 22 MXZ with Suckgate seemed to have more push and I could get further behind the boat. My settings were 11.4 MPH, Rear PnP's 100%, T. PnP 100%, S. Ramfill 100%, P Ramfill 90%, C. Tank 100%, CATS 20, Quick Surf 80/0, C. Tab 90, 4 Adults and 2 Children. This was the best looking Goofy Wave we could make. We fluctuated Quick Surf between 75 and 90. If we ran less Centre Tab it seemed to wash out the wave.  My wife surfs Regular. The best wave we could build for that side was utlilizing pretty much the same settings, only Quick Surf, Ram Fill, and CATS settings were reversed. That wave looked much better, but my wife said the same I did. Wave seemed short and didn't have a lot of push. Disclaimer: This was our first surf of the season so I'm sure our form wasn't the best and we were rusty. That for sure doesn't help. What are we doing wrong for surf settings?

CATS - This is completely new to me so I'm still really not sure what I should be doing with it. I can tell you that as I moved it through the different settings I couldn't really see any difference in the wave. What am I missing here? Is anybody able to provide a brief description as to the affect CATS has on the boat and wave.

BALLAST TIMER SETTINGS - What does everybody have their timers set at? With the factory settings, the Rear PnP's and the Transom Bag only fill up a little over (what looks to be) 50% before they shutoff. From there I have to continuously Override to get the bags filled. Same goes for draining. I still haven't been able to confirm if I have the updated bags. Centurion says they landed at the dealer around the time we picked up the boat. But nobody at the dealership can seem to confirm if they ever made it into the boat.

SILENT STINGER - A nice feature for sure. The exhaust noise is very minimal when surfing behind the boat. I did however notice that there was still quite a bit of exhaust fumes both at idle when standing on the platform, and when surfing. Probably no fix to this. It's still much better than my MXZ was so I'm not complaining. Was just expecting less fumes.

Your swim deck should be under water at least ankle deep. Might want to take more weight off the front and also I like to over ram fill surf side and about 90% ram on opposite side. Center tab should be at least 55, I like 70 for that longer wave. Surf tab is around 60-75. Speed around 10.5-11.5. Cats around 20/-20. Make sure you are at least in 20ft deep of water and going with the current can help. 

You should double check the cats works, they forget to flip the switch in the factory. 

For the exhaust, go look and make sure the tube didn't slice open. It's a flaw any they are trying to fix it. Go look and report it if you have a cut in it. 

Ballast timing settings are easy to fix. Each override is 45 seconds. So if you press it 2 times, add 1min 30 seconds. We like to adjust the timer settings about every six weekends (we go out a lot) and we bleed the air out of the bags always to get more water. Don't forget to adjust the drain time too. Always override the ram fills, they look cool when water comes out the side and you know they are full.  

257Tsunami    50
1 hour ago, Fivebar2 said:

257Tsunami you are correct, negative for regular and positive for goofy.

as far as settings go:

i would take at least 1/2 the center pnp out (I have been running zero in there but am going to play with adding a bit more. I would also put your center tab around 60 and surf tab at 65. I would speed up just a tad (maybe 11.5-11.7).

Do you have any lead?

my wave is amazing, tons of push, big and long

Fivebar - I don't have the Centre PnP. I'm assuming that you are referring to the bow bag? I have my Centre tank full....no centre PnP. Speeding up should definitely lengthen the wave some. But putting the centre tab from 80 to 60 would shorten the wave no? I do not have any lead.

11 minutes ago, DeltaFirstMate said:

Your swim deck should be under water at least ankle deep. Might want to take more weight off the front and also I like to over ram fill surf side and about 90% ram on opposite side. Center tab should be at least 55, I like 70 for that longer wave. Surf tab is around 60-75. Speed around 10.5-11.5. Cats around 20/-20. Make sure you are at least in 20ft deep of water and going with the current can help. 

You should double check the cats works, they forget to flip the switch in the factory. 

For the exhaust, go look and make sure the tube didn't slice open. It's a flaw any they are trying to fix it. Go look and report it if you have a cut in it. 

Ballast timing settings are easy to fix. Each override is 45 seconds. So if you press it 2 times, add 1min 30 seconds. We like to adjust the timer settings about every six weekends (we go out a lot) and we bleed the air out of the bags always to get more water. Don't forget to adjust the drain time too. Always override the ram fills, they look cool when water comes out the side and you know they are full.  

We are ankle deep on the swim platform for sure. You're thinking we should run less in the centre tank? Seems like a lot of guys run most of their weight on the back end of the Centurions. It would make sense. In theory that should produce a steeper wave with more push. But it should also shorten the wave. If I ran our Centre Tab at 55 the wave was washed out. It seemed that we couldn't get a clean wave unless we were 80 or higher. Same went for if we had the Surf Tab anything under 80. I definitely found that Ramfill at 90/100 or 100/90 was best. Is CATS my issue? We were running 20/-20 which seems to be what everybody else is running. The CATS was working at the start of the day. You could hear it cycle when turning the key. Perhaps I should have my wife drive and adjust the CATS and I can look underneath to verify it is moving. I'm almost thinking that our lack of push is due to the fact we are running so much centre tab. But we had to in order to get a clean wave. Maybe less Centre Tab, less weight in our Centre Tank, and more speed might cause a larger and steeper wave with more length to it. I need to wrap my head around the CATS system to better understand what to look for when adjusting it. That's good advice on the timers. I was trying to figure out how long the override stayed on for. I think the best bet would be to set your timers to an excessive number so they don't shutoff while filling, than time them and see how long they take to be right full. Than adjust the timers as necessary.

Did anybody else find their factory settings way off for fill times? I believe the Rear PnP's are set to 4:30 from the factory. Mine were only 1/2 to 3/4 full when they shutoff.

Thanks Again

We are around 6 minutes for the two back PNPs and around 4 minutes doe the trans bag. 

Go wakeboard mode and use cats to see if it works. You will see cats will clean up the white wash water on the side you lean it. If CATs isn't cleaning the side you picked, something is wrong. 

Try 20-30% max center. Keep ram 100/90. Center 50-70, surf tab 65-75. If that doesn't work, don't fill a pnp bag to 100% on non-surf side. 

P.S I know this sounds silly but make sure  the correct tab is down. Just because you selected surf left tab, doesn't mean the correct tab is down. If you were playing with the edit tab settings or someone else, they could of edited the wrong tab. 

Edited by DeltaFirstMate

CO Surfer    289
On 5/29/2017 at 7:31 AM, 257Tsunami said:

I'm pretty sure Goofy was 20 and Regular was -20. I believe if I did -20 Goofy and 20 Regular the wave was totally destroyed.

Finally had a chance to get back on the boat today.  Here's why I thought CATS was negative for the goofy wave.  That's because it is on my '16 SV.  Can't understand why they changed it for the Ri.

DSC_0063.JPG

257Tsunami    50

Here's what it looks like on the Ri's. I know if I ran - CATS the Goofy Wave would wash out. I was under the impression that if you ran + CATS on the Goofy Wave, it would make the wave steeper, but running - CATS would mellow it out. V.V. for the Regular Wave. With the little experience I have so far, there was very little adjustment where I could move the CATS and it didn't ruin the wave. I really don't know much about CATS and I have to take more time to get used to it. I've had trouble finding info on setting up CATS. I couldn't find much on YouTube, forums, or the in the manuals.

ir23pd.jpg

Edited by 257Tsunami
  • Like 1

Fivebar2    176
1 hour ago, 257Tsunami said:

Here's what it looks like on the Ri's. I know if I ran - CATS the Goofy Wave would wash out. I was under the impression that if you ran + CATS on the Goofy Wave, it would make the wave steeper, but running - CATS would mellow it out. V.V. for the Regular Wave. With the little experience I have so far, there was very little adjustment where I could move the CATS and it didn't ruin the wave. I really don't know much about CATS and I have to take more time to get used to it. I've had trouble finding info on setting up CATS. I couldn't find much on YouTube, forums, or the in the manuals.

ir23pd.jpg

In my experience the CATS are really used to clean the face of the wave up. If I have wash etc in the face I will adjust the cats to get rid of that.

• Like 1

CO Surfer    289

Very interesting.  I will add I am not using QS on the setup shown in my post.

257Tsunami    50
On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎28 at 10:43 PM, 257Tsunami said:

Just a follow up to this post.... I managed to break away from the office early this afternoon and we dropped the 257 into the drink. I did some tweaking and tried to get this wave dialed in. First off I set the fill times accurately for the ballasts. I came to realize that I may not have had all ballasts right full last time out. I also hit the override on the Ramfills just to make sure there was a steady stream coming out of the vents. Now that we knew everything was full, I drained the Non-surf side Ramfill to 90%, set the tabs and CATS, and bumped the speed up to 11.7. Now we got ourselves a phenomenal wave. There was more push than we knew what to do with. And for a looooooong ways back. A couple of times I thought I fell behind the wave, and than it spit me right back out with very little effort. I know there's more left in it, but we're happy campers now. I will say that I don't think CATS was working properly last time out. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to see or feel any difference. Tonight I could definitely notice the CATS working and making a difference. I'm assuming the issue I was experience was another glitch with the software.

About the software........... so we were ready to head in and put the boat on the trailer. I went to drain all of the tanks and had nothing. The software wouldn't trigger the pumps to drain. I managed to get a hold of Centurion just as they were leaving. They happily talked me through everything. At the end of it all, they ended up emailing me the software for both screens and walked me through how to reinstall the software. Yes, I happened to have my laptop bag in my truck. And luckily there happened to be a USB key in there. So I reinstalled the software and it fixed my issue. Frustrating for sure, but Centurion stepped up to the plate and hussled to get me back up and going again. I was able to get a real voice on the phone from the get go. When I did they didn't give me a run around about not seeing any issues like this before. They flat out admitted that the software is glitchy and has been causing issues, and they helped me with a workaround. These guys are top notch. It's bad enough when you fork out the amount of money we do for these boats and than experience the issues we do. But it makes it a lot easier to stomach when the manufacturer owns up to it and really wants to work with you to make it right. Oh and BTW, Centurion has another software revision that is going to be available in the very near future. They are pretty sure this will be the one we've all been waiting for. I'd recommend keeping a USB key preloaded with software on the boat until they get these issues sorted out. Than if you're ever in this sort of situation, it'll be a 5 minute fix.

One last thing....... my 16x15 (2829) prop showed up last week. So I had that installed for the trip today. I'm not sure that I'm going to stick with it. WOT gave me 39.7 MPH. Surfing at 11.7 MPH was about 3000 RPM's. 4000RPM cruise landed us right around 30MPH. There was definitely still enough power to go faster than anybody would ever surf. I felt the motor was working a heck of a lot harder than with the 16x13 though. I feel like it wasn't quite in it's power band therefore the engine was lugging a lot more. On top of that I'm 90% sure we burned a LOT more fuel. The 16x13 didn't work the boat as hard so I think that was the difference. Both props are more than sufficient for surfing heavy, but I am pretty sure I prefer the way it ran with the 16x13 much better. I only picked up about 2.5 - 3 MPH on the top end. Not enough to write home about. Also, the hole shot (empty) was night and day difference between the 2 props. With the 16x13 it almost jumps out of the water. The 16x15 was much more sluggish. Not that it should be a surprise given the difference in the 2 props. But I think I'll be throwing the 16x13 back on and calling it a day. The 16x15 will only get worse as we start loading the boat up with people.

Sorry for the winded post, but I'm hoping my findings will help out others in the future. We really love this boat. And Centurion has been top notch to deal with.

Edited by 257Tsunami
  • Like 3

Fivebar2    176

Nice follow up. The wave is absolutely incredible and I love the boat! I can't wait for the software update! It will make everything that much better!