FiremanKen    0

Hi all,

switching out prop on a 2008 ENZO240 for the first time. Would like to make sure im doing this right.

Removed carter pin

backed off nut but still leaving it on so prop does not shoot ff

question someone said to remove key? is this correct, if so how its deep in the channel ?

I placed prop puller on and started to tightend it down, and im at a point where I am getting a lot of resistance, so I stopped and asking here Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Ken

Kevin Baugh    78

Yes they can be very stuck the key won't come out until the prop comes off

Occasionally I have had to use a hammer to help persuade it to come off

Edited by Kevin Baugh

David    0

yes, Just keep cranking on it. You will need to use a block to keep it from turning. Once the prop breaks looks it will jump off the shoft with a bang.

elc    2

Like Kevin said (if you are using the c clamp type puller) tap the puller (side closest to the bow) a couple times with a hammer after you tighten the clamp. The first time I pulled the prop on my boat that sucker did not want to come off.

jquick    0

you can also use a torch to heat up the prop. use direct heat on the prop (shaft area) all 3 sides if you can for about a min or so, you might not heat all 3 because of the prop puller in the way. then tap the area that you heated up and the prop should pop off.

fyi it might sound a little loud when the prop comes off.

good luck ff ken.

Tips I like to give:

Do not back the nut off too much you only need about 1/4inch of free space and it keeps the drama of the prop popping off to a manageable level and keeps the key in the slot when stuff breaks free.

Tightening and tapping works but make sure you tap the clamp, never your prop.

Be careful with blocks... our props are soft enough to tweak a blade when trying to turn them against a poorly situated block ( personally use the flats of a small piece of 2x4 against the bottom of the hull).

I turn my key slot "up" so when I carefully slide off the prop I don't drop my key.

When I reinstall I put a small amount of marine grease on the shaft and key - probably just superstition but I have convinced myself it helps with the next change.

Edited by eleventenths