Troy    234

I used the Merc/quicksilver ones. Stopped by Cabela's on the way home from work one night and they had them in stock. $18 something after tax.

Holzy22    0

I have a slight tic'ng noise in my engine, not really annoying, but it is there. My boat is 8 years old and I have never done this repair before. Should I be proactive and do both sides this winter. Pretty cheap repair. Or shold I just leave it alone?

superdtf    68

Holzy, I would verify that the exhaust manifold leak is what's making your ticking. These Mercruisers tend to be a little "valve clackety" in my opinion. If it is indeed your exhaust manifold, there's a distinct pop to the click, and if you inspect all around your manifolds, you should be able to identify some sort of carbon "witness" where the exhaust gasses are escaping.

Does that make sense?

Holzy22    0

Absolutely. Thanks! I just wineterized, so can start it up, but I will look for those signs.

superdtf    68

Absolutely. Thanks! I just wineterized, so can start it up, but I will look for those signs.

If it's been doing it for a while, then you should be able to see it without starting it up.

Troy    234

Go to post 73 and look at the top picture, that is what my gasket looked like, (between the head and manifold) another thing to look for to verify that the gaskets need to be changed. I noticed my engine wasn't as quiet as it was when I bought the boat which is why I started to investigate.

Holzy22    0

I don't know about your engines, but mine has a multitude of hoses and wires and other obstacles to even see if there has been any leaking. This would not be a 30-45 minute job in my eyes. It's gonna take me longer than that just to be able to get to the bolts. Am I missing something?

superdtf    68

So on a v-drive, you'll have to empty out your lockers, take out the panels, and get your eyes below the exhaust risers. From there, you'll see that each header connects to the block at four distinct places on each side of the motor. You'll have to inspect all the way around those. A handy dentist-type mirror from the automotive store is super helpful.

CTMILKMAN    0

Do you need to take the riser off or does it just make it easier? If so, anyone know what the replacement gasket # is for the riser? Just about 100hrs and it started on the port side.

superdtf    68

Do you need to take the riser off or does it just make it easier? If so, anyone know what the replacement gasket # is for the riser? Just about 100hrs and it started on the port side.

You don't need to take the riser off, although some have indicated it makes it easier. I disagree. It does help to have a helper. This is your part: http://www.pbsboatstore.com/quicksilver-27-33395.htm

CTMILKMAN    0

Thanks, this is one of he winter projects in CT, one of hopefully many, wife approving!!!! LOL