Trevor Gleadhill

Fast surf boards for big guys

islander033    2

Thanks Loc.

Your opinion does mean alot to some of us. :thumbsup:

tgaugh    2

I'm happy to help. For the record my current Surf is a Sweet Spot and my Skim is a Drew. For the past two years I've been on a TWP F18 & Bullet as my primary Surf and maintained the Drew since 2007.

jquick    0
I am 212, 5'11 right now. Here's how I would be deciding today.

Performance Surf W/ Surface Trick Capability:

2009 IS Sweet Spot

2009 TWP F-18/Bullet, Non-JWSM

Cruise/ Traditional Surf:

2009 IS Swallow Tail

2009 IS Blue

2009 TWP Convert

Big Boy / Traditional Surf:

2009 IS Swallow

2009 TWP Cruiser Custom

2009 IS Red Woody

Performance Skim:

2009 Drew XL / L Carbon

2009 Drew XL / L. Tex

Big Boy / Performance Skim:

2009 P5 Oogle

2009 3X 58" Skim/Composite Skim

Introduction Skim:

2009 IS 4-Skim Tri

2009 IS 4-Skim White 6cm SL

this should be the standard breakdown comparison for first time entry surfers. thanks loc for simplifying the boards ! :thumbsup:

my to cents... ive found better rides with board companys that primary make boards for surfing. thats just my thought :unknw:

Edited by jquick

Back from vacation and sorting through things after work.

As many know I decided on the IS Red Woody and bought one brand new before I headed out two weeks ago. The board is amazing fast for a big guy. Was able to break it loose and slide it too. Lots of fun

Pic for good measure.

T

post-533-1249354536_thumb.jpg

Bigcatpt    408

Trev

How bout those pics of the board? I'd love to see the bottom contour. Thanks!

Trev

How bout those pics of the board? I'd love to see the bottom contour. Thanks!

Bigcatpt - I haven't forgotten about you, honestly. I tried to take some photos while on vacation (posted below) but I don't think they came out well. I tried again last night but my camera card is full. Let me know if these work.

T

post-533-1249391918_thumb.jpg

post-533-1249391976_thumb.jpg

Top    0

I'm wondering if a new board is what I need so I can let go of the rope? I'm starting to get frustrated but really want to learn how to surf!!!

I have a Falcon V, I fill both ballast tanks and thow my son (all 135 lbs of him) on the port side. I've played with ALL speeds but just can't find a spot to throw the rope!!!! I know I need more weight but any help would be great!!!

tgaugh    2

Top -

You don't need a new board right now. Do you have any recent pics of the wave or attempts from like ugh, Sat/Sun? I apologize if I missed them but you don't need to buy more stuff right now, we can get you going with what you have.

Top    0

I'm heading out this weekend again. I'll make sure to have pics!!!

jquick    0
I'm heading out this weekend again. I'll make sure to have pics!!!

hey top i have the same boat, the wifey and a buddy were able to freeride with factory tanks. fortunately you ride on the port side so the wake is alot better on that side. i did notice that if you fill both factory tanks and have like 4-6 adults you get a nice enough wake to play with to find that sweet spot.

Top    0

Thanks for the info! Can you drop the line? I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs.....

I'm looking at adding one 750 lb fat sack on the port side as well.....

Edited by Top

jquick    0
Thanks for the info! Can you drop the line? I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs.....

I'm looking at adding one 750 lb fat sack on the port side as well.....

im 185 5'7 and ride on the goofy side. at first i couldnt let go of the rope but after the 750 sac i freerode with 1 driver and a 1 passenger. the 750 will help alot. keep im mind i was able to free ride with both factory tanks but i did have 8 passengers that totaled up to 1200 lbs. bottom line 750's make a huge difference.

Bigcatpt    408
Bigcatpt - I haven't forgotten about you, honestly. I tried to take some photos while on vacation (posted below) but I don't think they came out well. I tried again last night but my camera card is full. Let me know if these work.

T

Hey Trevor thanks. I have been out of town. I am assuming its the bottom of the two boards in the pics? If so it looks really flat like my red. I guess I just gotta get better at riding it!

Hey Trevor thanks. I have been out of town. I am assuming its the bottom of the two boards in the pics? If so it looks really flat like my red. I guess I just gotta get better at riding it!

Hey, no worries.

yeah the Woody is very flat from side to side and front to back except the tip of course. talking to the IS rep, he really talked up the speed fins. something you might want to look at.

let me know if you want more pictures.

T

tank222    2

I have a chance to pick up a 2009 hyperlite broad cast 5-6 for $230 it will be my first board and i'm around 260 should i pick it up? I really want one by the weekend and this is about it. I've only surfed a couple times and it was on a 5'8 real surf board last weekend.

jquick    0

the broadcast is a good boat board. good entry level board

WakeDoc    471
I have a chance to pick up a 2009 hyperlite broad cast 5-6 for $230 it will be my first board and i'm around 260 should i pick it up? I really want one by the weekend and this is about it. I've only surfed a couple times and it was on a 5'8 real surf board last weekend.

It is a good boat board/beginner board but, if I had it to do over again I would have gone straight to a Phase5 Oogle or a Inland Blue Lake. Add a little more $$$ to the $230, wait a week and get a board that you are not going to out grow as fast.

1911    4

Tank,

Im still very new at surfing. I weigh 225 and have the 5'6 broadcast as well. I could never free ride with it, and am still having a hard time riding it. I found a 5'11 landlock ( i know not the best board, but unable to pass on the deal) for $50 on craigslist, and first time out i was able to trow the rope. A lot of smaller people on my boat can ride the broadcast, but i still cant. Just my experience.

Tank - I think what Wakedoc and 1911 said is spot on.

I am 250# and rode a landlock and was on the brink of throwing the rope but could not sustain it. I bought a Inland Surfer Red Woody and it was like night and day. Super fast for me, a big guy, and worth the extra money - to Wakedoc's point.

I don't know much about the Broadcast but was told to go with a wakesurf manufacture, like IS, and it was sage advice.

Your size, like mine, look at the Red Woody or Blue.

Good luck.

T