Sign in to follow this  
Joe B

Elongated Wakeplate

Bigshow    0

Griggs and O’Shaughnessy looked pretty deserted today.

Packrat    13

Hey Joe B, what setting were you using on the Switchblade with the longer plate and was your Enzo Sack full at the time in the Pic with you surfing?

Thanks

Joe B    17

The 750lb in the port corner was full, the arm of the reverse enzo was under the seats, and the tall part of the Enzo was partially filled. With the kids in the boat this is how we run and it's pretty close to 2000lbs ballast. (my center tank isn't hooked up yet, and with the reverse Enzo we don't need bow ballast)

We always ride the blade at '3', if we try 4 and above the whitewater will return.

The pics of the kids riding was last year with the same ballast setup and blade.

I would say the wakeplate has bent even more than my first post. Tiny tad more, but I may look into reinforcing it.

Joe B    17

We've had it on for a few months.

It really smooths out my port face and we get a nice long pocket (don't ride goofy). Great for skim boarding. I have a 2nd smaller sweet spot with alot of push really far back on my wave. I also upped the switchblade to '6' and changed my speed from 10.7 to 11.2 and the combo keeps the wave the same size but really makes the wave longer. I took the boat out with Bigshow's crew and the wave is just about Enzo length now.

What I see as a possible negative, but it's very picky: the face now has a nice smooth transition and before I had more of a wall of water straight up and down. For surf style riding that wants to get air, I'd have to say the old small plate had that straight up lip at the top. Note: I haven't changed any ballast configurations so others that run Crazy amount of ballast have the long wakeplate/blade and get more of a straight up wave face. I'm not a pro nor trying to land a flip at this time so it's been a positive mod to the boat. I always run with a very light crew to max my surf time B)

islander033    2

I realize that this thread is a year old........

Hey Joe B, are you still using this modded wake plate?

Hey WakeDoc, did you ever get the report on the BTT + Blade?

duffymahoney    10

BTT+ Blade didn't really help packrat. He still couldn't get a good wave. In theory it should have helped but it was a no go. I think a plate with manual turn buckles on a hinge would work great for switchblade owners

WakeDoc    471

If that would work great why wouldn't a BBT work even better?

Packrat    13

Actually the Bennett Tab with the Switchblade did work as far as knocking down the roostertail which was an issue with the stock fixed plate and switchblade. You also were able to fine tune the wave too. People tried using a bigger fixed plate too ie: 12". I think it did put out a good wave just maybe not a competition wave. This photo was last summer with an Enzo Sack, Bennett and Switchblade. If I had loaded it up like the 2007 Worlds at Merced it would have been a competition wave but then it would have been pretty heavy and unsafe in my opinion.

post-323-1276644331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Packrat

WakeDoc    471

starboard side pics please

Packrat    13

Sorry don't have any. I can only say that it did have a good Starboard wave. Didn't have Enzo sack on the Starboard side so I used a 750 on the seat as well as a 400lb in rear locker, standard hard mid starboard tank and and bow sack. I would say that the wave was better/cleaner than other SV230 Starboard waves I have seen posted probably due to the bennett/switchblade combo but unfortunately I don't have the pics to show or prove it. I did have to add more Bennett on the Starboard side when using the Switchblade than the Port side to clean the wave up but it did clean up. I really wish I had taken more photos. I do have a video of the port side but it is too large to send on the internet and I am not savvy enough to know how to cut it down.

I did forget to mention that on the port side weighting I put a 400Lb sack under the lift up clam shell seat ie: passenger seat where the amps are. This seemed to help create a nice top lip at the top of the wave near the swimstep.

Edited by Packrat