Lak3surf3r    714

Update: So I have put 14 hours on it since the new firmware murphy wrote for my boat and have switched sides/drained filled at least 20 times without failures! Keep in mind this fix is only for the "Ram circuit fault" code that is thrown and shown on screen (shown in pic below) when you try to fill or drain the ballast and makes you override the fill or drain function every 2 seconds until its full. If you have a mechanical ram failure where the valves won't engage or disengage you still will probably have to get them replaced since they are ultimately just a bad design flaw. Im not sure if they have released this firmware to other boats or dealers yet, ill find the firmware version when I get home (I forgot to snap a pic when I was out this weekend) but ask them and see if you can get it if you have these problems.

post-5679-0-00426100-1441732225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lak3surf3r
  • Like 1

Babylon    23

That's great (if belated) news! I wonder what Murphy changed. It almost sounds like the firmware may try to open/close the gates multiple times if it detects the condition that used to result in "Ram circuit fault". For example, perhaps if the firmware detects that the gate did not open after the gate-motor had been cycled, maybe it cycles it again? Any ideas what was changed?

Lak3surf3r    714

That's great (if belated) news! I wonder what Murphy changed. It almost sounds like the firmware may try to open/close the gates multiple times if it detects the condition that used to result in "Ram circuit fault". For example, perhaps if the firmware detects that the gate did not open after the gate-motor had been cycled, maybe it cycles it again? Any ideas what was changed?

Unfortunately I didnt get the release notes nor do I know if they would give them to me. I know it did have a voltage change on what was sent to the gates. A no response from gate retry would be a good idea if they didnt already do so.

Lak3surf3r    714

Sorry if this is repetitive so this will be the last I mention it but im at 207 hours now so 30 hours after the fix im calling it resolved and finally fixed.

Heres my firmware and bootloader versions if anybody else has this issue and needs to request new software.

post-5679-0-11068400-1442717734_thumb.jpg

DarksideR    1,679

Excellent news!

JJOcean    30

Great wealth of info on this forum - thanks! So I read all 10 pages of this thread and several other posts on the topic. Really wish I knew about this site before I purchased my boat back in Dec. - 2014 SV244 w/ 70 hours.

The short of it is that I have the older drain master valves. Both fill valves don't respond to the screen actions - can only be manually articulated. The starboard drain can be operated from the screen and manually, but it never closes. Key will spin in both scenarios, but not close the valve - never feel a "stop" on it like the other ones when I manually move it. The port drain is the only valve that appears to be operating as it should. To pile onto the valve issues, the CATS rudder doesn't move when watching it out of the water despite the screen showing it moves and sound coming from its motor when adjusted from screen or lever next to wheel. After just putting it in the water for the first time last weekend, I had to pull it out and drive it to the dealer this morning to get resolved. Very frustrating.

My big question is how have the Valterra valves been holding up? This post hasn't been updated since 2015, but I'm hoping there's some light at the end of the tunnel with these new valves. Also, anybody else had a CATS issue similar to mine? I searched the posts and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

CO Surfer    289

Your dealer should replace the old valves with the new design. You won't have any more issues.

JJOcean    30

Your dealer should replace the old valves with the new design. You won't have any more issues.

Sounds good. I trust they make the right call when they dig into it tomorrow.

InfinitySurf    302

CATS should just be a software update....I had something similar happen to my CATS and it was fixed with software update.

Dealer can also put in a request to warranty the valves....since Fineline did put out a "recall" notice on the drainmaster valves (you can google it). The language was that most boats are good with 1st generation...but if you continue to have issues, they will warranty with the new valves and I hear they are much better. My 2014 SV244 is also at dealer right now and even tho I haven't had many issues with my valves, I asked him to try to get them to warranty for me. He is a friend of mine, so goes out of his way to help...nice to have that kind of relationship with a dealer. I have found Fineline to be very fair on warranty stuff. I had something really weird happen with my vinyl , think the consensus was that it was a defective batch of white vinyl and they are paying for a complete replacement too.

JJOcean    30

Glad to hear CATS was just a software upgrade. Hope the same for me. I searched earlier and there's nothing on the forum about a CATS issue or problem.

I do expect them to replace the valves given the fact that 3 of 4 aren't working and all the history on here of the problems. The fact the original owner even showed me the manual articulation of the valves was a tip off he had issues with them. I've got zero interest in spending my future driving my boat to the dealer to switch out the same defective valves. One guy on this thread had 12 valves replaced - unreal.

I like my dealer. However, this is their first year with Centurion, so sometimes you never know how that works out given the newness of the relationship. I've also seen all the posts and the bulletin from Fineline on the subject ... the current one and an older copy of the same bulletin where they were "offering" folks to "upgrade" their drain master valves for a cost. I'll wait to hear back from them that they'll be doing the right thing. Sounds like they've been straight with you and others ... hope my experience is the same.