RhuntIII

Replacing a rudder 2002 Avy

RhuntIII    555

I've discovered a leak around the rudder that has just been replaced. What would need to be done to fix this? I'm planning on addressing this issue myself and would like some thoughts before I start wrenching.

mancho    85

What!? No warranty from that insurance repair? How bad is it leaking?

RhuntIII    555

Not bad but still leaks. The owner of TSB and I are working on the financials and the insurance company will not pay for the same repair twice. So it's all on me.

Dura mentioned something last night about some zerk fittings before wrenching I'm gonna check that out first.

h20king    794

New rudders do not have packing they have two zerks for grease to lube and seal. If It is a new rudder they come with grease already in them . My guess is they did not use enough sealant when doing the install. Can you see where the water is getting in the boat??

Edited by h20king

RhuntIII    555

Brand new rudder. I filled the boat up with water and can see it dripping from the edges out of the silicone.

H, What steps are needed to be taken when removing the rudder?

h20king    794

Super easy. remove the tiller arm and you can drop the rudder .then remove the four bolts holding the rudder box to the boat .then separate the backing plate on the inside of the boat then persuade the box out of the bottom of the boat .clean sealing surfaces and re install .

RhuntIII    555

Super easy. remove the tiller arm and you can drop the rudder .then remove the four bolts holding the rudder box to the boat .then separate the backing plate on the inside of the boat then persuade the box out of the bottom of the boat .clean sealing surfaces and re install .

Got it thanks

RhuntIII    555

Should the rudder have any vertical play? Before I removed the tiller arm I noticed about 1" of play.