riverdog    0

Good job. I have two already. Does it feel restrictive at all when running just out the starboard side?

Bigshow    0

Not I'm not really sure how to tell if the exhaust seems restricted. I flipped the switch in to all three positions a lot to listen to the difference in the noise level. The boat performance didn't seem to be affected.

Wavesport    0

Hey, sounds like great progress! Looking forward to the dB readings.

I did email Fineline a month or so ago, just before the experiments by Bigshow. They told me there was no current solution to make the Sideswipe any quieter...that was about it.

Raining all wekeend in Calgary.....hopefully back out next week!

riverdog    0

I'm sure the performance would only be affected at high rpms running out one side .

Bigshow    0

Riverdog, what do you think. Maybe run at 4,000 rpm, look at PP RPMS, flip the switch, look for a difference in RPMs on PP?

riverdog    0

Thats a good idea. See if you lose any rpm. I never run that high out one side anyway but i"m curious.

Bigshow    0

I did a little power experiment today. I got the Mighty Enzo running around 3,300 RPMs with the silenced exhaust. Then I flipped the SS switch to the other side. The RPMs climbed. Then I set the SS switch to both. RPMs climbed again. At eh end I think it reached 3,800 RMPs but by ten we really got on plane. I think the only conclusion you can make is yes, there is come constriction and loss of performance. As long as I’m not hurting the engine it’s worth it.

I’ll post the dB readings soon. The short information is that the levels are noticeable lower with the hush pipes.

riverdog    0

I gave a quick measurement from the outside of the hose between flapper to sideswipe is approx 7 inches with another inch or so between sideswipe and main exhaust. At first glance doesn't look like I room for 2. Enzo must be different.

Burton158SM    0

Come on. Seriously. Didn't you demo your boats before you bought them?? If not, you're morons. I'm with Drew. We waited an extra week or so for a boat w/ SideSwipe to come in. You can't beat the benefits of near zero CO when surfing and the deep rumble is just one more thing that pulls everyones attention to your kickass boat. It makes it even more of a "Ferrari on the Water"

We can easily have a conversation at normal voice levels while boating. I can't remember a time that we've had to yell. Our dealer did say that they could reverse the SideSwipe, but it would be VERY costly. I'd rather hear the rumble and surf safe.

Bigshow    0

Burton,

I bought the Enzo solely on surf wake reputation, no demo. I had previously been in an Avalanche with Side Swipe and didn't like SS then. I really liked the Avalanche surf wake and the Enzo by reputation and now in my opinion is even better.

Oh the deep rumble is cool for about 30 seconds. Who wants to ride around with over 100 dBs in the cockpit? I really don't care what the next guy thinks about my boat and how it sounds. Really it only matters to me.

With the engine off we too can easily hold a conversation in my boat. There are speeds where the sound is deafening. There's no way you can hold a conversation, you're making that up.

The first time my crew drove off the trailer after I installed FAE on my old boat, a Lightning, I though my boat was broken. I didn’t hear the engine rumble, just the whine of the transmission. With FAE the pleasant swish-swish of water rushing against the hull dominates the sound you hear when you’re cruising.

You should ride in a boat equipped with FAE some time. You’ll be amazed in the difference.

I love my Enzo, I could do without SS.

Respectfully submitted.

riverdog    0

I did test drive my avy and the noise seemed cool at first and while driving. Its while your sitting in the back that it gets bad. Everyone seems to comment on the noise while sitting back there. I can live with it but I just wanted to take the edge off. By the way , I usually find people who need loud exhaust for attention are morons.

GOBIG    4

I have side swipe on my boat and love it. I have always loved to hear the v8's rumble and if your stero wont drowned out the exhaust you should look in to a stero upgrade.

GOBIG    4

I have side swipe on my boat and love it. I have always loved to hear the v8's rumble and if your stero wont drowned out the exhaust you should look in to a stero upgrade.

Packrat    13

Don't know if anyone is interested in contacting this dealer, but Hans Boat Works in California last week advised me they could retrofit the sideswipe with regular exhaust. They had a new boat I was interested in buying but it had sideswipe which I said I wouldn't accept.

Hans the owner I guess called Centurion and he came up with a solution where they cut a and plug the sideswipe then install a new exhaust pipe and muffler and cut the two bell housing holes in the back of the transom. This way you could have regular exhaust and could install fresh air exhaust.

He said it wasn't not a lot of work (whatever that means) and required only a small amount of exhaust pipe and the muffler and cutting the two transom holes.

His sales pitch was that you could unweld the sideswipe tube down the road if someone wanted the sideswipe back. You would still have the sideswipe flappers on the side of the boat but they would be inoperable.

I passed as I didn't want the boat due to other options but I suspect this might be a possibility. I asked him if he contacted the factory and he said yes and that they would still warranty the boat at least on the new boat I was looking at.

I am not sure if he would do this on a customer's boat but I don't see why not.

My problem is finding a boat with quad ballast already installed so I am still looking.

Bigshow    0

I don't think I'd go that far. I did try another modification but it didn't work well. I'll live with Side Swipe as is.

Oldwakedude    0

SS exhaust, yes it is noisy, my daughters think it is cool, sounds like our old jet. Our previous boat was an elite V-drive, which for me was a nice change from the jet. When I test drove the Enzo with SS I was not happy with the noise, but when I read the CO reports on the SS vs standard exhaust there was no question we had to have it. Never saw any official reports on the FAE for CO. Thought about running one side out the stern (darkside) so that when we are cruising we could have a quiet exhaust, from the previous thread sounds doable, just haven't gotten that far with it yet. Another future project after the ballast upgrade.

Bigshow    0

The CDC published reports on both FAE and SS. Both are very effective reducing CO exposure. CAT engines should be too.

The FEA report number is 171-35a and is dated August 2004.

The SS report number is 171-37a and is dated December 2005.

These reports are availble for free from the CDC.

Oldwakedude    0

Thanks, knew about the one for SS, main reason I bought the SS. Have to read the FAE one.

Note from our banter on the "lopsided wake" thread, in the Volvo IPS system the exhaust appears to be directed through the pod assembly, ala FAE.

Bigshow    0

The Volvo system looks to be a modified I/O outdrive. I think all out drives dump exhaust at the prop. The difference here is that the prop is under the hull and out of harms way.