volzalum    280

Question, What is your definition of drive by wire? Most (if not all) of the Mercruiser Powered Centurions are mechanical throttles, i.e. there is a physical cable connected to the throttle on the engine to the throttle lever in the driver area. Drive by wire does not have this mechanical (cable) connection, and the inputs are transferred via electronic signal

Yea everything I have is fully electronic and I want to keep it that way.

Are you talking about your existing boat power here or are you talking about the replacement stuff?

jdb11386    1

My definition is probably the same as yours. My boat is a cable driven throttle body. According to what the guy at pcm told me centurion and pcm still utilize a cable to run the throttle. in the newer boats the cable runs to a potentiometer at the back of the boat, which then tells the computer where the throttle is which tells the throttle body where it's supposed to be. I also talked to indmar and if I understood the guy right, (i think he got tired of my questions) the boats their engines go in have the throttle control module at the lever. I was talking about keeping the replacement engine drive by wire. I'm thinking I can retrofit a stock gas pedal with the throttle control module and hook my throttle cable to it.

Edited by jdb11386

The 2012 and 2013 Centurions are Throttle by wire. Not by Cable. The shift is still by cable. I do remember that the PCM's for a few years before that did have a Module up on the engine that the throttle cable was hooked up to, and it send the electronic signal to the ECM. Any PCM that has a version of ZerOff for cruise control would be some type of Throttle by Wire as the ECM is what is controlling the throttle.

• Like 1

jdb11386    1
The 2012 and 2013 Centurions are Throttle by wire. Not by Cable. The shift is still by cable. I do remember that the PCM's for a few years before that did have a Module up on the engine that the throttle cable was hooked up to, and it send the electronic signal to the ECM. Any PCM that has a version of ZerOff for cruise control would be some type of Throttle by Wire as the ECM is what is controlling the throttle.

You're probably right about that, we were talking about the technology they were using in 09 because we were trying to compare similar parts between my setup and theirs and nothing was mentioned about new stuff. Back then they still used a cable but it was a gen iv engine with VVT and we were just trying to see if pcm stuff was the same as the GM harness I have.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Got you now. I understand. Good luck on the project, sounds like a big undertaking to me.

acman    59

I want a cam and a supercharger. Love the sideswipe. Give me call if you do it. I can turn wrenches.

Edited by acman

jdb11386    1
I want a cam and a supercharger. Love the sideswipe. Give me call if you do it. I can turn wrenches.

Which engine do you have in your boat?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

acman    59

PCM343 does ok but sure wish it was the 409.