jdb11386    1

I have mentioned this before, but I am seriously considering changing engines in my enzo. I know everyone thinks I'm crazy for even wanting to do it, but sometimes my ideas are a little wild and I'm use to the abuse. Anyway I have an ls3 engine with a good vvt cam sitting on the stand in the shop, that is ready to go in something. My question is does anyone have or know where to find used pcm zr engines or ls indmar engines from a totaled boat or an engine that blew. The main things I am needing are exhaust manifolds and a few accessory pieces. I really havent found any cheap manifolds. I have tossed around the idea of taking zo6 manifolds and turning them upside down and using my existing risers and have an exhaust shop fab up an adapter to connect the two, but I really dont want to go that route, I am trying to use as many bolt on parts that were meant for a boat and try not to do to much fab work. The wiring doesnt really bother me, ive got a wiring harness and pcm and I dont think i'll have to cut up too many wires. Basically I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible but do a nice job. Right now I'm in a position where I want to pull the engine in my boat but I'm not going to until I know for sure I can do this at a reasonable price.

DarksideR    1,679

Is this just for fun, or are you doing this for a reason???

jdb11386    1

More or less for fun. The reason would be more power and a smoother engine. There is nothing wrong with the the black scorpion 330 engine and that is why I'm making sure I have everything covered before I go any further. Plus who wouldnt like a nice choppy idle on a boat, especially with the sideswipe. :Rockon:

Edited by jdb11386

PayCheck    20

I wondered it it was stupid to super or turbo charge a marine engine. There is an option in the 2013 centurion catalog for a supercharged motor. Is there any way to add horse power with a different air intake for these engines? I have weird ideas too, don't feel like alone jdb :thumbsup:

Like you said, Manifolds are going to be your bigges hold up. If you really want to make any power you need something like PCM's header system on the XS550 seen here: http://www.pcmengines.com/XS-550/ However for the type of power that engine would make with a mild cam you can probably go with stock LS based exhaust from a PCM/Indmar.

Also keep in mind you need water cooled exhaust. Your Z06 exhaust would be waaay too hot to have in an enclosed engine bay, in my opinion.

Beyond that your engine mounts should probably bolt right up. same goes for tranny, fuel lines, etc.

Getting all of the gages and whatnot to work may be a challenge as well, as most automotive sensors work off of 5v reference signal whereas most sensors on your merc work off of ground impedence. (temp, oil pressure, etc). So you may have to buy some gages to complete the setup.

Would for sure be a fun project, I'd like to take a look if you decide to pull the trigger. I wonder what your torque curve on the LS3 would look like as compared to the merc? You may would have to re-prop.

Joe.

superdtf    68

Joe's post reminds me of the torque curve problem. My brother's in-laws kinda accidentally forgot to winterize their 25 foot cuddy; it had a 454 Merc. So the dude has a buddy with a performance machine shop, and the buddy owes the dude. So the Buddy builds the 454 up all roller and balanced and cammed etc. But the torque curve was too top-heavy. He took it out on the water and it would barely get on plane, but once it did, 65-70 mph. So they propped down, better out of the hole, but it could cavitate at speed if you hammered it, and that juicy range of the torque curve wasn't really helping. So they ended up pulling it back out, different cam, timing, etc (the Buddy ended up consulting a marine guy, I think the Michigan Motorz guys), and they got it running very nicely.

Moral of the story: Thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours later they got a marginal improvement over the stupid stock Merc 454.

Yep, unless you have some kind of variable valve system you have to give up low end power to make top end, and visa versa. For a boat you would like something with a flat torque curve that makes power from say 2000 rpm on up. Depending on the cam in his ls3 though he could have just that.

jdb11386    1

I don't know exactly how the manifolds work but I think the water only goes through the collector. I don't think the water would be allowed in the lower part to sit on the valves every time you switched off. But they aren't terribly expensive so that's a minor holdup. The beauty of these engines is the variable valve timing. Its like having two camshafts. I really don't have to suffer low end torque. on paper I should be right around 450 HP and 450 torque with a somewhat conservative tune. That brings me to my next question, how are the newer boats with drive by wire set up? Do they still have a cable that runs some kind of module just like the gas pedal in a vehicle controls? If not I'm going to have to fab up something to keep my engine drive by wire to utilize the variable valve timing pcm.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

jdb11386    1

I don't know exactly how the manifolds work but I think the water only goes through the collector. I don't think the water would be allowed in the lower part to sit on the valves every time you switched off. But they aren't terribly expensive so that's a minor holdup. The beauty of these engines is the variable valve timing. Its like having two camshafts. I really don't have to suffer low end torque. on paper I should be right around 450 HP and 450 torque with a somewhat conservative tune. That brings me to my next question, how are the newer boats with drive by wire set up? Do they still have a cable that runs some kind of module just like the gas pedal in a vehicle controls? If not I'm going to have to fab up something to keep my engine drive by wire to utilize the variable valve timing pcm.

jdb11386    1

quot

Edited by jdb11386

Troy. R    198

Jdb,

The throttle/perfect pass issue you brought up was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread. Your Merc is a mechanical throttle/perfect pass and I'm sure your ls3 is electronic. I would talk to the folks at PCM to figure out how to resolve this. I'm sure you'll have to change out your PP to a drive-by-wire system or go to a Zero-off system.

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted.

jdb11386    1

Yea everything I have is fully electronic and I want to keep it that way. If I have to change over to drive by cable that means a different throttle body and didn't wiring harness and computer, and I might lose the VVT and have to go with a different cam but I'm not sure about that. My big question is how does the drive by wire work on the pcm engines? Is there a sensor right there at the throttle lever on a separate wiring harness or do they still use a cable that goes to the back to control a module there at the engine. I know they still use a cable for the transmission.

Troy. R    198

I would think they use a throttle position sensor similar to a car, but that's purely a guess.

Boat manifold are water jacketed. There is not any water IN the exhaust until you get to the elbows, however the exhaust tubes are surrounded by cool water.

jdb11386    1
Boat manifold are water jacketed. There is not any water IN the exhaust until you get to the elbows, however the exhaust tubes are surrounded by cool water.

Ok that makes sense. If you look at Indmar's ls3 they have a nice header deal that looks really expensive, and it doesn't look like the water gets in them until the very end of the header. But I think I'm going to use the old style zr manifolds before the cat style. I can get them for around 750 for everything minus the studs.

superdtf    68

Another dude to talk to is the guy at Discount Inboard Marine (skidim.com). I think his name is Kurt or Bruce (something with a "u"). He's really laid back and helpful.

• Like 1

jdb11386    1

Well I talked with PCM and had a few questions answered. It looks like i'm going to have to fab up a way to run the throttle to utilize the perfect pass and keep it drive by wire. PCM nor indmar use the factory gm engine wire harness' so if I make this work it's all going to be custom if I want to tune the engine correctly and use my computer and harness.

jdb11386    1

I talked to the guy at michigan motors and he was pretty helpful. He basically told me to forget about everyone else's equipment and use what I have and things will be a lot cheaper and easier, which is what I was thinking, but it's nice to have reassurance.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..