Mike Christie

Will 4 in boat speakers be enough?

Going to be upgrading the stereo in my 2006 Enzo for the summer and am interested on some opinions in regards to the number of speakers. The boat has 4 currently (2 are in the bow and 2 in the kick panel right over the v-drive). Looking to add another pair somewhere in between, but can't find a good place to mount the other two. What have you guys done in the past? Whole system will be 4 (or 6) XS-650s, a sub and a pair of Rev 10s. I want a good balanced sound and be able to hear the tunes while cruising on the lake. Suggestions?

DavidEM    1

Mike,

Having a second pair of coaxials in the cockpit can make a big difference in several respects.

First, if you listen to a subwoofer (any subwoofer) by itself without the contribution of the coaxials you will note it sounds soggy and indiscriminant. It's a worthwhile test so you can experience what I mean for yourself. So musically plausible bass is very dependent on the midbass of the coaxials for a good balance between the fundamentals and upper harmonics that define the tonal construction. Having more collective midbass surface area creates a good ratio with a sub, especially if it is a stronger sub, and can deliver more of a seamless integration between subwoofer and satellites. Having too little midbass makes the subwoofer sound detached or somewhat remote.

The second issue is that it is a great benefit to have a portion of the fullrange sound in front of the forward-facing driver or at least in closer proximity to the driver. It's increasingly important when you are underway as you tend to lose more of the sound that emanates from behind you. Forward cockpit speakers provide a more articulate sound for the driver.

The advantages are easy but sometimes the actual placement is really tough.

Many have added a speaker and isolation pod under the driver's dash in the kick panel that conceals the subwoofer. And, nothing says you have to have two front speakers if you can make only one fit. Remember that the observer is already facing the rear cockpit speakers.

If you cannot make it work for cruising then when you are underway and pulling a rider at least you should get some residual radiation from the tower speakers.

David

Earmark Marine

truekaotik    458

Mike you have several locations available to mount more speakers in a 06 Avy... You can mount one in the dash facing the glass and depending if you have cup holders or not, also one behind observers seat Behind the glove box facing the glass.. If that's too much work, you can place one under the observers seat on the wall by your feet. There it will slightly angle toward you but be facing mostly rear. Below driver Kick pod (what david is describing and H has a pic of) is another place for the other speaker. You can mount a pair in the walk thru as well if you really want, ect... It is really up to you on where you would like to mount your other set.

My opinion on your boat would be to mount them in the top dash facing the glass, one driver side and one observers side. I would choose this location on the fact you have two in the back bottom of the boat facing forward, a "dead" middle zone and the bow speakers... Putting them in the dash will level the sound thru the whole boat and using the glass will push projections slightly back ;-) my 2 cents bro!

Edited by truekaotik

I would love the dash option, but I have an Enzo and not an Avy.

(null)

truekaotik    458

Haha my bad Mike ;-) for some reason I read 06' Avy... Must been on a post I read prior to yours my bad bro... You can still put it in the dash of the Enzo I believe. Just not on the observers side... Let me look one over. I will hit you back here...

truekaotik    458

Ok from what I've seen on the 06' Enzo SV230 you can still mount them in the dash and the upper left corner forward of the cup holders... You'd have to measure to be sure they'd fit but from pics it looks that way. Only thing is the windshield needs removed for installation :-( if thats to much crap to deal with my other spot I'd do it would be one under the light facing back, on te cooler kick. Then one on the observers foot kick facing back... If you don't like either of those I will continue to look :-)