PayCheck

JL AUDIO 13W6V2D4

PayCheck    20

a friend of mine put his sub facing the the hull of his boat and apparently that rocks the boat hard. thats what i thought would be the best way. is it? 268273_2194050780982_1538571134_32320060_1098910_n.jpg

PayCheck    20

and these are the other 2 subs... just put em up for kicks :thumbsup:284087_2235936788106_1538571134_32378583_199490_n.jpg

Edited by PayCheck

duffymahoney    10

Here is my bass reflex jl 12 install. Looks sweet and pounds hard. It's not as ideal and I probably didn't get all the DB's I could have or as david would want but fits my space well and I can still use the area under the seat which is also important to me.

LakeSurfer    10

Paycheck: my comments are based on (1) only using one sub and (2) maintaining as much storage space as possible. Your buddy turned his boat into one big stereo and now has relatively little storage space (BTW: to properly run that system for more than an hr your buddy also must be running alot of batteries). With that said, if you only go to party cove (or have an unlimited budget) that may work. But if you are only installing one sub, IMO (and pretty much every professional stereo guy I have ever spoken with) put it under the driver's helm. Your 13w6 should fit there in the appropriate box. I went with at 12w6 because I wanted my leg room back and I really dont work my stereo but once or twice a year (reality is that for what I do, my stereo will be overkill once its finished - still waiting for WS to put out the new Rev 410)

Like I said early, I am running the 12W6 pushed by JL HD 750 (firing towards the side of the boat like your buddy) and the cupholders in my boat literally bounce. So I cant imagine what a 13w6 pushed by 1,000 watts and the right box will do.

EDIT: BTW, your buddy's sub (1st pic) is under the helm, not the ski locker. Which is what we are all suggesting.

Edited by LakeSurfer

DavidEM    1

Duffy,

I don't see any compromise in what you have done under the driver's console.

PayCheck,

Loading against the hull works great as long as 1) the woofer is spaced away from any adjacent plane by at least the distance equal to the radius of the the woofer, and 2) there is adequate venting around and/or over the top of the facade/kick panel no less than the surface area of the woofer. More would be better. In this case the surrounding planes of the small helm console interior and the hull surface serve to reinforce the bass output just like placing a speaker against the wall, in the corner or on the floor in your home. You can call it a clumsy horn or whatever but it definitely works. This type of loading produces a little more deep bass compression while direct radiating like Duffy's example delivers a little better transient qualities.

Its really a toss up as to which version most like better.

David

Earmark Marine

DavidEM    1

PayCheck,

BTW, that is some clean work on the BU. Was that project done by Mike's Liquid Audio in NC? If so Mike deserves a plug.

David

Earmark Marine

Wylie_Tunes    146

Yep, thats the 2011 VLX Kicker/MLA boat. Thanks for the plug :unworthy:

The sub is a Kicker CompVX-10 driven with the new IX1000.1. its in a 1.75 cu/ft net vented enclosure tuned to about 38 Hz.. The two SKM10's under the seats are really there to show off the Kicker marine line, but do a great job making the boat rumble......thats where the ladies like to sit from what I hear :thumbsup:

The other 3 amps are full-range Class-D amps. They are super efficient as compared to a Class-A/B amp. That boat is only running a single Group-24 Interstate deep-cycle. Since the (original) owner spends little time anchored and most time on the water towing, this single battery has no problem keeping pace with this system. Once off the water, both batteries are maintained by a dual-bank on-board charger.

If the current owner uses the boat in a different manor, it would be a simple reconfiguration to expand the house bank in order sustain a longer play time at the sandbar.

DavidEM    1

Hi Mike!

I had no idea that Wylie_Tunes was MLA. Stop sneaking up on me.

David

Earmark Marine

PayCheck    20

wow i have no clue who MLA is. but i do know the origional owner upgraded again for the new malibu. but they just started BUMPIN one day while they were just chiilin before pulling and INT competition. i was soo impressed i could feel the bass from 50 foot away! but do you think this would be a better option? http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-Dual-W6V2-Subwoofer/dp/B0001HYEJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325733496&sr=8-2 under the helm? thank you guys so much for your help btw i really do appriciate it!

LakeSurfer    10

do you think this would be a better option? http://www.amazon.co...25733496&sr=8-2 under the helm? thank you guys so much for your help btw i really do appriciate it!

If the 13W6 fits under the drivers side helm and you like the bigger boom, go for it. I am not at all telling you not the get the 13W6. Based on my 12W6, I bet it will pound with the right box/amp.

But if you really want the boom, see if you can fit the JL 12W7 in the boat. Bigger box, but you will really get the boom!

http://www.amazon.com/12W7AE-3-Audio-Single-Subwoofer-12W7AE3/dp/B001V6KQKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325739819&sr=8-1

DavidEM    1

PayCheck,

I hate to sound like a broken record here but the whole driving point of this discussion is not to push you toward or steer you away from one particular model of woofer. The idea is to first remove the facade, investigate the sole and any required hump modification, determine the available external maximum displacement of an enclosure (it can be converted to internal gross later) in consideration of legroom, steering cable, woofer/port orientation and an unobstructed pathway for the radiation, heater and heater hoses, etc. Second, decide which combination of enclosure type and woofer will get you deeper bass extension and more output. Oftentimes a bass-reflex 12 will outperform a sealed 13.5 in both respects. Certainly a bass-reflex 13.5 will be the top performer. Follow the sequence. Go strictly by the numbers in your selection. Don't get consumed with the biggest size of woofer because that may not be the most important or only factor. Sure we can retro in anything but that is not the path to getting the ideal subwoofer. In other words, first measure the depth of your garage BEFORE going out and buying that long bed pickup truck.

David

Earmark Marine

Spud    7

Wow, this topic was very entertaining !! :beer: All I know is I experienced first a box that made my sub sound terrible. I paid the extra to have a box built off manufacture dimensions and since I get complimented on how clean and hard my sub pounds. David I always enjoy your posts and take them into consideration, you answer members questions promptly and professionally.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Hi Mike!

I had no idea that Wylie_Tunes was MLA. Stop sneaking up on me.

David

Earmark Marine

yeah, thats me being stealthy again :guitar:

Wylie_Tunes    146

Very clean.

Thank you very much :unworthy:

Wylie_Tunes    146

wow i have no clue who MLA is. but i do know the origional owner upgraded again for the new malibu. but they just started BUMPIN one day while they were just chiilin before pulling and INT competition. i was soo impressed i could feel the bass from 50 foot away! but do you think this would be a better option? http://www.amazon.co...25733496&sr=8-2 under the helm? thank you guys so much for your help btw i really do appriciate it!

yeah, that boat pictured above got a new owner in Aug. I think it was. His new 2012 MXZ-22 is in the shop getting done right now. It may be at the Greensboro show if the dealer doesnt get one in in time. Other wise, it will be pulling the INTs this year as well. Just hope I can break away and get to some this year.

PayCheck    20

Wylie: i have ridden behind their boat multiple times... HUGE wake. a sick job on the sound system! i saw the new pics of the mxz and was wondering when the new tower system was goin in, thats the first thing i noticed... no speakers.

David: i just found a great deal on that 13.5 inch sub, not sayin its perfect, and i understand what you are sayin about it needing to be in a perfect box with a right amp set up. i am just looking to put a nice, and decently big subwoofer in the boat. i really do appreciate your posts i find them extremely helpful! i could have screwed up BIG if it werent for this forum... and is there any JL sub that you recommend for a boat? the 13w6 was just an idea, but i now know that the box has a very big impact on the sound quality. im just lookin for lots of bass because i love my music! :thumbsup: i didnt realize how powerful the 12 inch was, as i dont know a ton about the different subs. the w6 was highly recommended to me by my cousin, and i can move the backboard under the dashboard back if whatever i choose needs a bigger box. but i do ALWAYS look forward to your responses, they really do explain things amazingly!

thanks for all your guys help!

Wylie_Tunes    146

Wylie: i have ridden behind their boat multiple times... HUGE wake. a sick job on the sound system! i saw the new pics of the mxz and was wondering when the new tower system was goin in, thats the first thing i noticed... no speakers.

David: i just found a great deal on that 13.5 inch sub, not sayin its perfect, and i understand what you are sayin about it needing to be in a perfect box with a right amp set up. i am just looking to put a nice, and decently big subwoofer in the boat. i really do appreciate your posts i find them extremely helpful! i could have screwed up BIG if it werent for this forum... and is there any JL sub that you recommend for a boat? the 13w6 was just an idea, but i now know that the box has a very big impact on the sound quality. im just lookin for lots of bass because i love my music! :thumbsup: i didnt realize how powerful the 12 inch was, as i dont know a ton about the different subs. the w6 was highly recommended to me by my cousin, and i can move the backboard under the dashboard back if whatever i choose needs a bigger box. but i do ALWAYS look forward to your responses, they really do explain things amazingly!

thanks for all your guys help!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the system. Ive never boarded behind it as Im into the low and slow and the surf wake is very nice. Cant wait to try the surf wake on this new MXZ. The new boat had nothing but the BB source unit and remotes. It was ordered with the no speakers and no holes cut as the MXZ comes with 8" Rockfords. The Tower will have a 1000W Kicker 6-pod setup, but we are waiting for the new pods from Kicker.

Edited by Wylie_Tunes

DavidEM    1

Paycheck,

A W6 series sub is ideal for a boat if you have the right power match. Just follow the sequence of the prescription laid out in this thread to get the correct size driver and enclosure type for your particular application. We've already covered that step by step process very well. As for the series of sub, its important to have the correct power. A W7 has longer excursion, handles more power, etc, but has more moving mass and will take more power to drive, especially in the context of an open field marine environment. Its the reference sub for a vehicle but not as responsive in a boat unless you drive it with a true strictly regulated 1000 to 1200 watts. And that comes with greater expense in driver, amplifier, current draw and a few other areas. A W7 also requires an increase in enclosure size. Not the direction you want to go. A 12W6 or 13W6 already needs serious power. We recommend a JL HD750/1 for this and no less. With anything less its not quite up to potential. Lakesurfer experienced this difference when he went from a 600 watt unregulated amplifier (which actually matched up with the thermal specs of the woofer) to a 750 watt strictly regulated amplifier. So if I had an honest 500 watt amplifier I would want to go with a lighter and easier to control W3 for example. The woofer to amplifier combination is really the identical analogy as the woofer size to enclosure relationship. You can throw potential out the window. The match-up is key. You are good with your present choice. Just understand that a cheap amplifier purchased on specs alone is not going to get you every ounce of performance from that subwoofer.

David

Earmark Marine

PayCheck    20

wylie, i always used to be scared to ride behind their boat... wake was huge. never surfer behind it though, sounds like yall will be havin another SICK install though! cant wait to hear it!

David, i have decided the w7 is too much $$ and too much space, and the 13w6 is too big, so i think the 10 or 12w6 is probably what ill do. i am a bit confused about how the amp effects the sub quality though. i get the power with the amps and all, but what do you mean by

Just understand that a cheap amplifier purchased on specs alone is not going to get you every ounce of performance from that subwoofer.

how will it impact the sound quality? i will be jetting a nice amp next winter when i have more money though, just cheap for now though :thumbdown:

thank you so much!

Edited by PayCheck