I just finished up my automated ballast system install based on a lot of posts on this blog. Thanks to all, but especially Knuckledragger, as his blog was a valuable resource in getting my head around this project and ultimately done.

Anyways, 95% done and running, but every time I flip the ballast switches, the Perfect Pass will lose power momentarily AND I am not able to run both pumps consistently. Setup is (2) Johnson pumps, each with their own thru hull. Boat is a 2006 Enzo SV230 that had stock mid ship tanks and pumps. I wired the new pumps by unplugging the stock switches and replacing them with DPDT Conturas. New switches are wired directly to fuse panel and ground block. Any suggestions? Can a capacitor be added or should I consider a second battery to handle the load?

Wiggles    2

I would say you are definitely going to need a 2nd battery. Between your PP, 2 pumps, stereo, and what ever else you might have running your going to be working your alt and battery pretty good...

Edited by Wiggles

zetchvp    0

I just finished up my automated ballast system install based on a lot of posts on this blog. Thanks to all, but especially Knuckledragger, as his blog was a valuable resource in getting my head around this project and ultimately done.

Anyways, 95% done and running, but every time I flip the ballast switches, the Perfect Pass will lose power momentarily AND I am not able to run both pumps consistently. Setup is (2) Johnson pumps, each with their own thru hull. Boat is a 2006 Enzo SV230 that had stock mid ship tanks and pumps. I wired the new pumps by unplugging the stock switches and replacing them with DPDT Conturas. New switches are wired directly to fuse panel and ground block. Any suggestions? Can a capacitor be added or should I consider a second battery to handle the load?

Are you running the motor when you flip the switches, or do you have the motor off? Also, have you tried turning on the switches one at a time? The pumps will use a bit more power initially to get going, so switching them on at the same time with the motor off might be taking too much juice to start your pumps and run all your other accessories. I'm no electrical genius, I'm sure others will chime in and prove me wrong, but its something to look at... :unknw:

Bigcatpt    408

You are going to want to add another battery eventually.

But even with one battery you should be able to run both pumps at the same time.

Next time out take the boat out of gear and rev up the motor to 2000 rpm and then turn on one pump and let it run for 3-5 seconds and then turn on the second pump. With the rev'd up motor your PP should not cut out.

I have 2 batteries and can run both johnsons at the same time weather I have the boat on or off. They seem to run faster with the boat running.

Thanks for the tips guys. I just ordered a Blu Sea add a battery. Any tips on what the second battery should be? I am thinking Optima deep cycle blue top Group 34? Open to suggestions.

Joe B    17

Added a 2nd pump myself and i need to add a 3rd battery to run everything at once.

I have to run them combined at the moment even with engine running to help

duramat    462

Thanks for the tips guys. I just ordered a Blu Sea add a battery. Any tips on what the second battery should be? I am thinking Optima deep cycle blue top Group 34? Open to suggestions.

Mike, your gonna want to keep all batteries the same. You can run into some issues by mixing different kinds.

DrPorter    0

I can run 5 pumps, 2 Jabsco and 3 Johnson, at the same time on two batteries without any issues. I just make sure that I flip them on one at a time

Bigcatpt    408

If the batteries are good it should not be an issue.

Moocher can run 2 johnsons, 1 jabsco, and 2 mayfairs all at the same time....

Just got my Add-a- battery system in the mail today. Looks like the beauty of this system is you can run a staring battery and a deep cycle. The charging relay works to sense, and separate which batteries need the charging.

http://bluesea.com/viewresource/1388

Any brand suggestions for deep cycle batteries? My local boat shop was trying to talk me into a Lifeline, but at $375 there has got to be a cheaper alternative. I am not against paying for quality, but I don't think I need that good of a battery for some lake cruising. If I were offshore, it would be a no brainer. Besides, since summer is about halfway over, well at least here in Seattle, I am going to try and limp along with the one battery for the rest of the summer. I don't want to have to deal with maintaining it until next year. THe boat will be wrapped and stored so an on baord maintainer is not an option.