Sign in to follow this  
duffymahoney

Avy surf wake

duffymahoney    10

Hello,

Does anyone have a video they could post or on youtube that shows a good avalanche wakesurf wake? Pictures can be decieving. Thanks

Duffy

WakeDoc    471
Hello,

Does anyone have a video they could post or on youtube that shows a good avalanche wakesurf wake? Pictures can be decieving. Thanks

Duffy

Send Drew Danielo (screen name) a PM, he has a 2008 Centurion Avalanche C4, I am sure he has some video somewhere on the web.

Duffy, the wake is awesome IMHO. I can fill up all the tanks and surf with just 3 of us in the boat. That alone is not a huge wake, but enough to do what you want. When you have 10 hippies on your scoot, then it is tidal wavecity! My .02 cents worth.

duffymahoney    10

Hi all,

I found this video of an avy surf wake from worlds in 03! The wave looks awesome.

WakeDoc    471
Hi all,

I found this video of an avy surf wake from worlds in 03! The wave looks awesome.

That video is too Cool...it is great o see how much the riding has progressed in 5 years.

On another note, if you are not going to have a cage with a guy standing in it on the surf side of the boat mounted to your tower, you might not get the same wave as the video. Also keep in mind that the boats at the worlds might be loaded more then you would on an average weekend.

duffymahoney    10

If my memory serves me it had an enzo sac plus a big sac on the seat. So yes lots of weight, but we usually ride with a full crew and all are willing to move. I'm thinking of buying an old avy and putting enzo type sacs on each side, plus some pop bags, and a switchblade. Now all I need to do is find an old c-4 in my area and surfs up! I just wish I could choise between FAE or a switchblade!

Duffy

WakeDoc    471
I just wish I could choise between FAE or a switchblade!

Duffy

I am absolutely pleased with my Fresh Air Eexhaust, I will have one on every boat I have in the future if possible.

I have been told if you mainly surf do not order the switchblade, you should start a thread about whether or not it helps the surf wake.

Edit: You should be able to add both to the boat.

Edited by WakeDoc

Joe B    17

Duffy,

The Enzo sac is not an ideal sac for the Avy's v-drive lockers. About a foot of extra space. If you are going the route of under seat plumbing that you can switch from regular to Goofy surfing by just hitting the switches, I would really recommend a custom sac for the Starboard side.

On the Port/regular side, take a look at my 'Avalanche Sac' thread over in modification section. The tube part of the Enzo sac is very long and the large/high part of the enzo sac is not big enough to fill the v-drive locker. It is, though, the perfect setup to sit reverse in the cargo hold on the port side with the tube under the seats. A fly high 750lb fits our v-drive locker perfectly. With the Avalanche Sac installed the way I suggest, there is enough weight towards the front of the boat that you don't need ballast in the bow.

On the Goofy/starboard side, the large/high part of the Enzo sac is not enough in the rear locker and the tube is too long for the under the seats. Having fly high custom make a sac is well worth it there. To make a note here, Bigshow posted some pics of an older yellow Avalanche that pulled Goofy with a stellar wake on WW with no switchblade and I would say the back corner wants more weight on the goofy side than port. If I had Fly High make a custom sac, I would get the dimensions of the 750 but make it higher to hold about 900lbs in the v-drive locker and add that 'Arm' to hold about 300lbs under that small starboard seat. A few pop bags in the bow will be needed on the starboard side.

With the Avalanche Sac and a custom sac for the Goofy side, the stock 3-fill ballast will suffice. The Goofy side might need some weight in the bow.

A switchblade would be nice to dial in the goofy side on the fly, but if you have a few pop bags I think you can find the perfect Goofy wake without it. I haven't heard about if FAE has customized their setup for switchblade too. They were thinking about it but that was over a year ago.

I put some pictures up of the Avalanche Sac and we always ride with minimal crew where our spotter is usually under 100lbs, so what you see is virtually no unbalanced weight from the crew. My avatar shows the tilt you get on the port side. Add a few people and the wave is what a tournament will pull at.

duffymahoney    10

I have never measured the avys engine compartment or area for the arm, and I have done a couple of custom sacs from flyhigh, so when and if I find a boat in my area(hopefully) I will most likely go that route. I will prob end up doing a split bow sack, basically two seperate sacs that look and are shaped like the flyhigh bow sac, but can be filled independantly. I have this on my current boat and it rocks for dialing in my surf and helps with the lean! I have a friend with downturned pipes and it almost sounds like a boat with FAE. We don't seem to get co2 in that boat. So that might be a route to take. I do wakeboard, but I am a water snob and our lake is massive so smooth days are few and far, unless we get up at dawn and ride, which is always glass. I really like the idea of a switchblad to fine tune everything, and I emailed pivotdesigns and the guy said there surf blade will be out soon(wink). He didn't give me anymore info, but it sounds promising from previous threads.

Duffy