Sign in to follow this  
jpcmoto

Small blisters on a 2002 Typhoon

jpcmoto    1

I bought a used 2002 Typhoon and it has small (under 1/8") blisters and only on the sides at the back couple of feet. My question is, do I need to fix these now? Will they get worse even if I dont leave the boat in the water? I dont plan to leave the boat in the water like the previous owner. It will be stored in a dry area when not in use.

My mechanic told me not to worry about it. He also said it can cost up to $10k to fix. Really? The problem area is only about 5 sq feet at most and they are small.

cyber104    0

Hi:

Here is a very good article for your review. Personally I wouldn't worry too much - especially since you won't be leaving the boat in the water. Living on and growing up on the Chesapeake Bay I've seen zillions of blisters - and never a hull failure.

However, if you feel like you have to do something - check into a barrier coat approach.

http://www.hartoftmarinesurvey.com/guide.html

Hope this helps,

Chris

jpcmoto    1

Hi:

Here is a very good article for your review. Personally I wouldn't worry too much - especially since you won't be leaving the boat in the water. Living on and growing up on the Chesapeake Bay I've seen zillions of blisters - and never a hull failure.

However, if you feel like you have to do something - check into a barrier coat approach.

http://www.hartoftmarinesurvey.com/guide.html

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thanks Chris

I am starting to relax about it. I am getting a quote today to have it repaired. I doubt I will do it but I will post so others will know.

Ihanks again

duffymahoney    10

Thanks Chris

I am starting to relax about it. I am getting a quote today to have it repaired. I doubt I will do it but I will post so others will know.

Ihanks again

I have a small section with them. Only on one side of the boat. I will get them repaired before I sell the boat. That way I can have the whole thing wet sanded and looking all perfect for a potential buyer. Almost every boat in my marina gets them. Small price to pay in my mind. Having my boat in the water 4-5 months a year is so awesome!

jpcmoto    1

The quote came in at $5400 to remove them all and re-gell the bottom. However, even the fiberglass guy sid i sould not worry about them and just enjoy the boat. Thats exactly what I am going to do!