guitarcrazy    0

This weekend we really put the boat through its paces. We surfed, tubed, and wakeboarded almost every minute. Saturday evening I am pulling a friend on the wakeboard as the sun is just starting to go down. I figure I'll try the light bar I had the dealer install, so I turn it on. I run about 30 seconds longer and realize that the perfect pass is surging a bit so I turn it off. Right when I hit the off button the boat dies. Dead in the water, no ignition, no gauges, but all accessories work fine. After about 20 minutes of checking every fuse I can find I search the engine compartment. I find a small fuse block on the front of the engine with 4 fuses; 1 15 amp and 3 20 amp. I found the blue 15 amp was blown. I replaced it, and we are back in business. I didn't know what to attrbute the problem to, so we just continued wakeboarding with all accessories off (except for the stereo!). Later that night was was loading the boat on the trailer in the dark, so I turned on the light bar to help see the trailer. Again, 20 seconds later the boat dies. Now it seems I have a problem with the light bar somewhere. I don't know why it is blowing the 15 amp fuse on the engine, but it is frustrating to have all this light and not be able to use it. A short in the wire somewhere? J

Troy    234

Dealer installed? I would have them fix it. IMO if it was a shorted wire the fuse would blow instantly. Sounds to me like the dealer took the power for the light bar from the wrong spot and has to much current draw for the fuse, hence the 20-30 sec delay for the fuse to blow.

guitarcrazy    0

I would love to take it back but I'm in Montana and he is in Eugene Oregon. He was good on the phone and a tech from the stereo store that did the install is going to call me tomorrow with some suggestions. He said he thinks the installer ran the power wire to the engine, I am assuming somewhere off the alternator, and that we may need to rewire it to the battery with a separate fuse. I am surprised they didn't do this initially, but hopefully that will solve the issue. The light bar puts out a ton of light, I would definitely like to use it and the stereo at the same time.

CTMILKMAN    0

I had a similar problem with my tower lights on my 09 avy. They were factory installed when I bought the boat. When i called the dealer after experiencing the same scenario (work for 20 sec then cut out), I was told to check the break and BINGO!! they had put the wrong size breaker in. 1 new breaker and 10 min later I was back in business.

Sucks to have that happen but glad to hear it was something pretty simple, hopefully yours is that easy too