Sign in to follow this  
Zig04

Shaft seal leaking

Zig04    0

I noticed that my bilge was kicking on the other day more than once a trip. I shut everythig off and was listening to some water trickling in. Found that it is comng from the shaft seal. Not just a drip or 2, ore like a steady pee stream. I'm going to grease it up this weekend and see if that fixs it for awhile. Is this going to turn into a complete disaster soon? Should I go ahead and order the PSS unit and get ready to change it?

kgordon7378    0

No, I would not think it is necessary to jump right into the PSS unit, even though it would be a nice upgrade... Just show the wife it is leaking and not sure how to fix it, thus you need to upgrade...

To fix it, if you have the grease fitting, and the dripless system. Pull one of the vent screws and put a few shots of grease in with the grease gun, then put that screw back in, and pull the other one. If you have the older style with the rope packing, tighten down the packing nut so you get a drip or two a minute. Dont get it too tight or you will overheat it.

Either way, it is not uncommon to start to leak. Put it on your list to check every few trips out.

Zig04    0

It's on an 08 Typhoon, when did they change them over to the dripless system. I'll probably shove the wife in the locker, she's a helluva lot smaller than me. I'll try the grease this weekend.

kgordon7378    0

I dont know the exact changeover date, yet I would almost be certain you have the dripless system. There is a video on youtube, which was referenced in a different posting on how to do it. A short stubby philips screwdriver will be needed, as well as a magnet on a stick in the event you drop the screw is nice.