Dave Mendlen

Weighting a 2003 Centution Typhoon for Surfing

Hey team,

I need some help in weighting my boat for the optimum surf wake.

I bought a 2003 Typhoon that came with 250 lbs of ballast in the center (I think that's right?). So I filled that up and tried it out and that was ok. Not a monster wake but ok.

Well if some ballast is good, more is better right? So I went out and got a 750 lb fly high fat sac and a tsunami pump at Bakes Marine for the port locker and tried it again. This time I was able to throw the rope and ride for 30 seconds. But I was riding up within an inch of my swim deck.

I'm thinking that if I buy another 400 lb fly high fat sac and put it under the seat cushion/walkway in the bow that might let me surf further back?

When I called Fly High, they told me to put a 400 lb sac up front, move my existing 750 to the starboard locker and buy the 1100 lb one for the port locker.

Do you guys agree? Would that give me a good wake and let me surf further back?

Help is greatly appreciated!

-Dave

Bigcatpt    408
Hey team,

I need some help in weighting my boat for the optimum surf wake.

I bought a 2003 Typhoon that came with 250 lbs of ballast in the center (I think that's right?). So I filled that up and tried it out and that was ok. Not a monster wake but ok.

Well if some ballast is good, more is better right? So I went out and got a 750 lb fly high fat sac and a tsunami pump at Bakes Marine for the port locker and tried it again. This time I was able to throw the rope and ride for 30 seconds. But I was riding up within an inch of my swim deck.

I'm thinking that if I buy another 400 lb fly high fat sac and put it under the seat cushion/walkway in the bow that might let me surf further back?

When I called Fly High, they told me to put a 400 lb sac up front, move my existing 750 to the starboard locker and buy the 1100 lb one for the port locker.

Do you guys agree? Would that give me a good wake and let me surf further back?

Help is greatly appreciated!

-Dave

Dave... Welcome to the crew!

I would start here.... http://www.centurioncrew.com/Weighting-Typhoon-t2750.html

That has most of the info you are looking for. Your gonna need a lot of weight for that boat but once you get it the wave will be epic. Once you read that then come back and we can talk specifics and answer any questions you have.

This is the wave behind Jackfly's 02 Typhoon when we were trying to dial it in. We still have a little work to do once he gets a new prop but it was pretty good this day.....

post-188-1275801228_thumb.jpg

post-188-1275801235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigcatpt

Thank captain for the pointer.

It does help some.

What do I do about surfing farther back from my swim deck?

Is bow ballast the key here or no?

I've done a ton of online research and I can't find any information on how to weight the boat such that the surfing is further back from the swim deck.

Does anyone know?

-Dave

islander033    2
I've done a ton of online research and I can't find any information on how to weight the boat such that the surfing is further back from the swim deck.

Does anyone know?

-Dave

A couple hundred pounds of bow weight, go a bit faster or both should lengthen your pocket.