Sign in to follow this  
tbutcher

750 lb fat sac in Avy

tbutcher    0

I talked to my centurion dealer and he said that he has had problems with the drain fittings breaking when using the 750 lb. fat sacs in the Avalanche. I see that many here have this size or larger ballast bags--has anyone had this problem or have a suggestion to prevent damage to the fittings?

duffymahoney    10

Well I think you will be ok. I have installed a few systems and I have never had a fitting break. The stock pump will screw directly into the sac. They sac should be vented and because of this it shouldn't build up pressure. I don't see how it would break either the pump or the fitting. I wouldn't use the stock fittings use the flyhigh quick connects. They are great!

Foiler    1

I don't see how they would break. I have the 750's in my Typhoon which has the same locker and I just installed the 750's in place of the tanks and screwed the Mayfair pump directly into the bag and used the Fly high quick release fittings on the vent and fill. I slid the bag towards the front of the locker and when it filled there still seemed to be plenty of space for the pump behind the bag. Maybe if the bag slid back it could put pressure on the pump or the fitting but this could easily be remedied by putting a block or something next to the pump that would prevent the bag from sliding back and crushing the pump but I don't really see it sliding back.

tbutcher    0
Well I think you will be ok. I have installed a few systems and I have never had a fitting break. The stock pump will screw directly into the sac. They sac should be vented and because of this it shouldn't build up pressure. I don't see how it would break either the pump or the fitting. I wouldn't use the stock fittings use the flyhigh quick connects. They are great!

Thanks, Duffy and Foiler. I bought a 2007 Avy just a few months ago and I am trying to figure out what to do with the ballast.

Duffy--I have read a bunch of your posts--thanks for all the information. Your system sounds awesome!

duffymahoney    10

Basically it means I should work more at work:)

i too have a 07 avy and im installing the 1100 jumbo sac in my compartment with the quick connects.

i might move the drain pump to the engine compartment, but im not sure yet.

welcome to the site, lets see some pix!

Joe B    17

I used the stock fittings for a year in my Avy on a 750lb. No problems. I put the stock fittings on an Enzo sac and had a drip. I changed to FH fittings and never had the problem again. I screw the drain pump directly on the sac. Next season I'll reroute the drain pump and use the FH quick-connect fittings so I can air out the boat better.