falcon_v

I have a question about Reversible Pump ?

falcon_v    0

With a Reversible Pump do I fill and drain from the same hole in the bag witch would be were the drain hooks up normally? And can I piggyback using my vent line to another sack if this is how I fill the first bags from the drain. I already have a drain for the rear bags.

This is an illustration from wake makers.

Bigcatpt    408
With a Reversible Pump do I fill and drain from the same hole in the bag witch would be were the drain hooks up normally? And can I piggyback using my vent line to another sack if this is how I fill the first bags from the drain. I already have a drain for the rear bags.

I understand the diagram but I am not sure I fully understand all of your questions. But here is what I think you are asking.....

Yes you fill and drain from the same hole (drain hole) in the sac with a reversible pump.

You might be able to piggyback from the vent hose but this is risky if the pump is putting more water in the sac then the vent line (piggyback line) can handle you will burst your sac. It would be better to "T" off the main line after the pump but before the sac and run a second line with a valve to the other sac. I am not sure which bag is the "rear bag that you already have a drain for". Hope this helps. If not try asking your question a different way.

On a side note the diagram shows you draining the water out a side dump. With a reversible pump you can drain the water right back out through the floor intake.. More simple design and less holes in the boat.....

David    0

I believe the diagram you show will work as long as the pump is below the water line. Depending on the elevations of the discharge line and the pressure on the suction line, you could end up sucking air not water. (Its kind of like a straw with a hole in it.) Keep it simple you do not need a vent or discharge line out the side of the boat. Pump the water in and out using the same hole.

David    0

But I am no expert, I still fill the old fashion way.

Edited by David

falcon_v    0

Sorry here is a picture of what I am trying to do I had my head other places then.

I already have the tanks and the sac + 2 jabsco ballast pump I will be doing 1 pump on

each side.

Bigcatpt    408
Sorry here is a picture of what I am trying to do I had my head other places then.

I already have the tanks and the sac + 2 jabsco ballast pump I will be doing 1 pump on

each side.

I see what your trying to do. I would not fill one tank through the other tank. Just run a splitter on the main line after the pump and run a fill/empty hose for each tank. I think your fill and empty times will be faster that way. If you still want to use the mayfair to empty as well that would be fine to. But run a fill line to each tank.

Bigcatpt    408
I believe the diagram you show will work as long as the pump is below the water line. Depending on the elevations of the discharge line and the pressure on the suction line, you could end up sucking air not water. (Its kind of like a straw with a hole in it.) Keep it simple you do not need a vent or discharge line out the side of the boat. Pump the water in and out using the same hole.

the jabsco impeller type pumps do not need to be below water line. They are self priming and suck like crazy well above water line.

Oldwakedude    0

Here are some items to consider:

1) if the tank the jabsco pump is connected to is a hard tank, then draining with the jabsco will collapse the tank as there is no vent :spiteful: .

2) if the jabsco pump is hooked to a sac and the flow through the vent is restricted it may overpressure and pop something (fitting or sac) :lol: .

3) the drain set-up, the jabsco pump will fill the sac through the mayfair pump so you have to run the mayfair pump after the jabsco pump is complete :lol: .

Overall not a good setup :lol: .

If they are both sacs (no hard tank) here is an arrangement that will work, you shouldn't have to drill any holes, but you can't use the mayfair. Having said this will work, doesn't mean I think it is the best way to do it, but it is the closest workable system I can see based upon your current plan. You can skip the valves on the inlet to the sacs if you want to fill and drain them at the same time.

post-361-1268703984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldwakedude

this is the exact diagram i used on our rig for four ballast puppy reversible pumps. it works great. you fill and drain from the sam line. The pumps are mounted well above the water line in my engine compartment.

here are some items to consider:

1) if the tank the jabsco pump is connected to is a hard tank, then draining with the jabsco will collapse the tank as there is no vent

????? they will only suck water and once air starts flowing they will break suction

2) if the jabsco pump is hooked to a sac and the flow through the vent is restricted it may overpressure and pop something (fitting or sac)

I ran my jabsco for two years with no overflow vent line. never had a problem. a wise man once said when pumping large amounts of water into your boat pay close attention to what you are doing.

3) the drain set-up, the jabsco pump will fill the sac through the mayfair pump so you have to run the mayfair pump after the jabsco pump is complete

Why would you use a mayfair pump in this design?

with this setup you do not need a mayfair pump. the jabsco pump will fill and drain the sac. rendering the mayfair pump worthless.

Overall not a good setup - strongly disagree! Most systems i have seen require valves to be manually turned somewhere in the system to drain. the jabscos act as a check valve and do not let the water pressure from the sac drain back through the pump.

Dont be afraid to drill a thru hull. it is easy to do and works great.

This post has been edited by Oldwakedude: Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Edited by Stanley Wheelhouse

falcon_v    0

My only problem is the tank only holds 240 and the bag holds 400 ish I want to be able to isolate port and starboard sides. How would I do this.

Edited by falcon_v

Foiler    1

Looks like it would work to me as you have drawn. I only see one issue. The vent line from the hard tank needs to actually go to a thru-hull vent on the side of the boat with a check valve in it and have a T fitting in the vent line before the check valve that routes the water into the bag which will fill the bag, then you use the Mayfair to empty the bag.

The reason for this is so that the vent line on the hard tank will suck air in no matter what and doesn't have to rely on air from the bag through its vent which will be unlikely at times when the bag is empty and colapsed which could block off the vent. The check valve will let air come in the thru-hull but will not let anything exit, all that will be diverted into the bag and then when it is full the excess air and then water will exit the bag vent. Hope this makes sense.

So yes I think it will work but the best option would be to fill one large bag using the diagram in your first post.

Oldwakedude    0
this is the exact diagram i used on our rig for four ballast puppy reversible pumps. it works great. you fill and drain from the sam line. The pumps are mounted well above the water line in my engine compartment.

here are some items to consider:

1) if the tank the jabsco pump is connected to is a hard tank, then draining with the jabsco will collapse the tank as there is no vent

????? they will only suck water and once air starts flowing they will break suction

2) if the jabsco pump is hooked to a sac and the flow through the vent is restricted it may overpressure and pop something (fitting or sac)

I ran my jabsco for two years with no overflow vent line. never had a problem. a wise man once said when pumping large amounts of water into your boat pay close attention to what you are doing.

3) the drain set-up, the jabsco pump will fill the sac through the mayfair pump so you have to run the mayfair pump after the jabsco pump is complete

Why would you use a mayfair pump in this design?

with this setup you do not need a mayfair pump. the jabsco pump will fill and drain the sac. rendering the mayfair pump worthless.

Overall not a good setup - strongly disagree! Most systems i have seen require valves to be manually turned somewhere in the system to drain. the jabscos act as a check valve and do not let the water pressure from the sac drain back through the pump.

Dont be afraid to drill a thru hull. it is easy to do and works great.

This post has been edited by Oldwakedude: Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Stanley - I think we are on the same page :thumbup: , my comments were not directed at the picture in the first post, but the second one Falcon V posted in the 6th post. The intent of the diagram was to provide Falcon V with a workable design within his give parameters :thumbsup:

falcon_v    0

What am I missing now just trying to ad my hard tanks back in the boat since money is tight need more ballast the rear sacs are 400 's. I have an extra water puppy in the garage and two Mayfair pumps. Just trying to figure out what I might not have in the diagram that I need to purchase.

What am I missing now just trying to ad my hard tanks back in the boat since money is tight need more ballast the rear sacs are 400 's. I have an extra water puppy in the garage and two Mayfair pumps. Just trying to figure out what I might not have in the diagram that I need to purchase.

Why not just use the ballast puppies in the boat. most of the time you surf goofy or regular. therefore you will have the tank and sac filled on the surf side of the boat and the tank and sac on the non surf side will be empty. why not use one ballast puppy to fill and drain your hard tanks and one ballast puppy to drain and fill your sacs. install a nice looking finished seagate three way water valve on the drain fill line of each pump. this would allow you to Y the drain and fill lines to your hard tanks from one pump and your sacs with the other. this would also allow you to switch from left hard tank to right hard tank and from left sac to right sac. it would take two pumps and may simplify your design. most of the time the boat is sacked out goofy or regular for most of the day. so it would be rare that you would have to turn to two valves in order to switch sides.